Has anyone downgraded from 4.0 sucessfully?

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
I have not been able to do it despite Multiple tries.

Can someone who has done it please lay out some instructions for me.
I will be using PC. Phone is a 3g and is not jailbroken.

Thanks. Greatly appreciated!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Try using 3.1.2. An error message (error code 1015) will pop up in iTunes after the restore. This is completely normal. Hit Okay and repeat the restore. It is very important that you restore twice. The second restore will result in the same 1015 error. Hit okay after getting the second error message. Now you can activate and jailbreak. Download redsn0w 0.9.2 and open it. Browse for the 3.1.2 ipsw you used to restore and open it. The connect to iTunes logo on the phone will now disappear and the phone will boot. If you get 1600 errors, try iREB.

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Thank you for your help. I REALLY appreciate it.
Can you dumb it down for me a little. lol First things first... I tried to do what a web site said and install 3.1.3 by way of downloading the file and hitting shif and restore to select the file....problem is i can't fine the 3.1.3 ipsw file anyware to do that with. I tried downloading it from a site but opened the zip and the file was not in it or not recognizable by me. Do you know where I can get a file .3 or .2 as you suggest?
Will redsn0w be obvious on how to use it when I find it on google?
Thanks!

FirstIphone

Bronze
Dec 8, 2008
Littlestown, PA
Try using 3.1.2. An error message (error code 1015) will pop up in iTunes after the restore. This is completely normal. Hit Okay and repeat the restore. It is very important that you restore twice. The second restore will result in the same 1015 error. Hit okay after getting the second error message. Now you can activate and jailbreak. Download redsn0w 0.9.2 and open it. Browse for the 3.1.2 ipsw you used to restore and open it. The connect to iTunes logo on the phone will now disappear and the phone will boot. If you get 1600 errors, try iREB.
Do I have the steps right?:
Restore using shift & restore and the 3.1.2 downloaded with firefox
Restore again
Open redsn0w and search for the 3.1.2 file and open the file
That's it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
C'mon Europa, all he needed to do was change the file type by renaming w/ .ipsw. Downloading firefox was unnecessary.
I was helping a guy troubleshoot this once and he wasn't able to change the file type. Since then I've just recommended downloading it with Firefox because I know that's whats recommended on iClarified's website and I know that will work.

YvilKittyInSpace

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Just a warning: Apple is no longer signing anything below 4.0.1 for the 3G iPhone so the 3G can only be restored to what is current. If you are jailbroken, Cydia is now storing SHSH blobs for the 3G because of this.