Has anyone got the $200 credit from Amex yet?

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I was told they MIGHT require claim form submittal and additional info. They took my email, in case they needed me to submit the formal claim paperwork, but I haven't heard anything from them on it.

I suspect the claim paperwork might be where the "customer standing" will come into play, but I would bet that all customers will receive the same benefit when they decide the issue.

Also, remember, that while AmEx will technically be passing the credit to us, they more than likely don't eat the whole thing themselves. I'll almost guarantee they'll go to Apple for a piece of that refund.
I called back today to see what the deal was. What you said is basically what they told me. They want me to keep the form just in case I need to submit it.

I also think you are right about Amex not covering the whole thing themselves. I'm sure they are in talks with Apple right now. This keeps me hopeful.

The lady on the phone told me they had received more about 10,000 claims thus far. I'm not sure how many of those have more than 1 phone on them, mine does, but it seems to me that this could be some great publicity for Amex. Let’s assume every claim has 2 phones (very unlikely but possible) that's about $440 per claim, times 10,000 claims, totaling about $4.4mil. Think about all the TV time they could get from this. It will be all over the news, and to a small extent, already is. This could be the best $4.4mil they ever invest. What do you think?

If Amex covers this I will never use another card again. I am already a big Amex fan. They always have great customer service and they make everything so easy. Their only down side is that they send me a lot of junk mail.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Hell, they've already impressed me on this issue. The mere fact they were willing to TRY and do something, shows their commitment to the customer.

And for anyone that comments "it didn't cost them anything so far, so why not...", think of the cost in increased phone calls, and customer service time/effort to take/log/track those 10000+ claims from customers.

Regardless of whether we get dime one back on the iPhone, AmEx has already spent quite a bit of cash just trying to help us.

Unfortunately, AmEx is already my primary card (for the most part), and has been for many years, so I can't really do much more, other than increase my spending, and I'm not THAT grateful :p

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Just got my $215 ($200 + tax) back today on my account!
Yeahhhhh
Glad to hear that some people are having success!

When did you call AmEx to file your claim? I called on Friday (9/7) and was told that it would take up to two weeks. My claim is still listed as pending on their online claim status page.

I assume that AmEx is using some sort of criteria to decide which claims to honor (level of activity on account, how long account has been active, and so on.)

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego

When did you call AmEx to file your claim? I called on Friday (9/7) and was told that it would take up to two weeks. My claim is still listed as pending on their online claim status page.

I assume that AmEx is using some sort of criteria to decide which claims to honor (level of activity on account, how long account has been active, and so on.)
I think I called last thursday. They said it would be on my account in 24 hours. I actually took 5 days. It seems that people are having different results with amex. If they said it will take 2 weeks, at least it means you're gonna get your money :laugh2:

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I think I called last thursday. They said it would be on my account in 24 hours. I actually took 5 days. It seems that people are having different results with amex. If they said it will take 2 weeks, at least it means you're gonna get your money :laugh2:
I think he means 2 weeks for them to make a decision. At least that is what they told me.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
How long have you been with Amex? Do you use your card a lot? Just trying to get an idea whether I'll get the refund or not. I've pnly been with them forabout 2 years but I use the card for everything. I love the cash back rewards.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
How long have you been with Amex? Do you use your card a lot? Just trying to get an idea whether I'll get the refund or not. I've pnly been with them forabout 2 years but I use the card for everything. I love the cash back rewards.
If longevity counts, I should be OK, since I've had AmEx for 20 years. But I suspect that the volume of charges counts even more, as does payment history.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
A few people on the Apple iPhone forum are reporting that they're getting refused outright, which suggests that AmEx has decided to limit their damage and stop issuing refunds. That doesn't mean that those of us who still have claims pending are out of luck, but I'm less hopeful than before.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I would be really pissed if I didn't get a credit from Amex now considering there are hundreds of people on forums that have been approved for it. I don't think Amex can pick-and-choose who they want to credit. If it's be fileld under the Purchase Protection program and some got the credit and others didn't for hte mere fact Amex just decides on its own who gets it, it would to me seem like descrimanation.

Insurance protection needs to be equal all around.

My claim is still pending, I reported mine on the weekend. I have 4 Amex cards, 2 businesss charge cards. 2 personal cards. (1 credit, 1 charge).

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I would be really pissed if I didn't get a credit from Amex now considering there are hundreds of people on forums that have been approved for it. I don't think Amex can pick-and-choose who they want to credit. If it's be fileld under the Purchase Protection program and some got the credit and others didn't for hte mere fact Amex just decides on its own who gets it, it would to me seem like descrimanation.

Insurance protection needs to be equal all around.

My claim is still pending, I reported mine on the weekend. I have 4 Amex cards, 2 businesss charge cards. 2 personal cards. (1 credit, 1 charge).
It is discrimination but Amex maintains that right in this instance both legally and morally. They have no coverage for a situation like this under their protection plan, so anyone who does receive a refund is getting a gift. They are not obligated to cover anyone.

This is becoming quite a difficult circumstance for Amex if you think about it. It has brought a lot of people’s attention to this type of situation. They can either take advantage of that attention, pay out which will cost them millions, or they can sit on it and potentially lose a lot of their best customers. I love Amex but now that I know that there are cards out there that do give Price Protection coverage, I may be in the market for a card like that if it gives me the rewards Amex currently does.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

How do you access the online claim status page?

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
I got one. The nice lady on the phone gave it too me when I filed my claim.
BS...not a chance that happened.

Caller: I want a $200 credit for my iPhone because I paid too much.
AMEX: Sure, please check your balance I just sent the $200 back to your card. In addition, I have sent you a free iPhone because you shouldn't have even had to buy it in the first place. Plus, I am refunding the gas money it took you to drive your car to the Apple Store to buy it.
Caller: Duh, thanks. I'm gonna go post on EIP now.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007

AMEX: Sure, please check your balance I just sent the $200 back to your card. In addition, I have sent you a free iPhone because you shouldn't have even had to buy it in the first place. Plus, I am refunding the gas money it took you to drive your car to the Apple Store to buy it.
What are you talking about?

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US

OK, how about this one (condensed for readability):

Me: Do you know what an iPhone is?
AmEx rep: Oh yes! I just bought one for my boyfriend.
Me: Did you hear that Apple just dropped the price $200?
AmEx rep: WHAT?!
Me: (Tells story)
Me & AmEx rep: (Comiserate)
AmEx Rep: Hold a minute while I check something with my manager.
Me: (holds)
AmEx rep: I've given you a $150 credit.
Me: Can you DO that?
AmEx rep: It's done. I just wish I could do that for myself.

Now that's posted on EIP as well.

Have a nice day.

-K

dave hoe

Sep 13, 2007
any regular amx card holder can 200 back?

The amx purchase protection is only cover stolen, loss or damage and does not mention about price difference, so are you guys sure that you go back to make claim that amx honor? amx gold card has a refund protection and since the price cut does not allow a refund (more than 14 days), that may be the reason most amx gold card holder can get 200 back to their card.

Is anyone who use a regular amx card (i.,e green, blue, hotel rewards, costco amx) ever that get refund? Thanks