Has anyone got the $200 credit from Amex yet?

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
AMEX DOES issue a claim number when you call

I called the day of the announcement, and the nice guy took my info and gave me a claim number to reference for any calls/online updates. He told me the standard 2 weeks for processing time spiel, and that although there was no specific coverage for this - he said they planned to make an exception since they were overwhelmed with calls. He said it was a "goodwill gesture" for cardholders.

I made my claim based on the "If they won't take it back - we will" policy. He said this wouldn't work because they have a max of $300 per item - and you have to send the item back to them - hence the exception to the policy, and a possible credit on my account.

I bought 2 phones at the Apple Store with my AMEX on iDay. Primarily because I wanted the 90 day damage/loss coverage and the extra year warranty. I have a platinum card.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I did get a claim number too. I don't understand people calling BS on something they know nothing about.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
BS...not a chance that happened.

Caller: I want a $200 credit for my iPhone because I paid too much.
AMEX: Sure, please check your balance I just sent the $200 back to your card. In addition, I have sent you a free iPhone because you shouldn't have even had to buy it in the first place. Plus, I am refunding the gas money it took you to drive your car to the Apple Store to buy it.
Caller: Duh, thanks. I'm gonna go post on EIP now.
Not BS.

Last edited by a moderator:

jordan6

Jul 26, 2007
I just got an email from AMEX saying my claim had been processed and I would be credited 105. I bought a 4GB model so maybe this is why but I am not entirely sure why it's 105 instead of 205. Has anyone else gotten an email?

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
A wild guess about your credit..

I'm guessing AMEX deducted the one hundred dollar "rebate" from Apple from the amount they are crediting you?! Seems fair enough. I'm still waiting to hear from them on the 2 iPhones I purchased!

jordan6

Jul 26, 2007
I'm guessing that's what happened, or it could be because I got a 4GB. I called them last Thursday or Friday and got the email today, which I thought was pretty quick. I am assuming I can still get the Apple rebate? It seems like everyone else who has gotten AMEX credit is planning on doing this.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I'm guessing that's what happened, or it could be because I got a 4GB. I called them last Thursday or Friday and got the email today, which I thought was pretty quick. I am assuming I can still get the Apple rebate? It seems like everyone else who has gotten AMEX credit is planning on doing this.
Hey Jordan,

You should give Amex a call and tell them the new price of the 4Gig is $299 now and you bought for $499 which is actulaly $200 vs. the 100 they gave you. See what they say and let us know please.

Pinhead

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Hey Jordan,

You should give Amex a call and tell them the new price of the 4Gig is $299 now and you bought for $499 which is actulaly $200 vs. the 100 they gave you. See what they say and let us know please.
Checked my claim and it got processed and i got $217 back and i am very happy took almost a week but i got it...You can keep your $100 Steve $@#@#@#@ jobs i wanted my cash...:cool:

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Checked my claim and it got processed and i got $217 back and i am very happy took almost a week but i got it...You can keep your $100 Steve $@#@#@#@ jobs i wanted my cash...:cool:
When did you file your claim? Do you use your car a lot?

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
i received an email today saying that my credit was approved for $214. It hasn't shown up on my account yet, but the letter says

"Thank you for choosing to use your American Express Card for your purchases. Your recent claim with American Express does not fall within the normal terms and provisions of the Purchase Protection Plan. However, as we very much value and appreciate your Cardmembership with American Express, we have approved your claim as an exception to the program guidelines. Your payment of $214.00 has been processed as a credit to your American Express Account. If you have any questions please call your PPP Customer Service Department at 18003221277. A representative is available to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

good news :)

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
i received an email today saying that my credit was approved for $214. It hasn't shown up on my account yet, but the letter says

"Thank you for choosing to use your American Express Card for your purchases. Your recent claim with American Express does not fall within the normal terms and provisions of the Purchase Protection Plan. However, as we very much value and appreciate your Cardmembership with American Express, we have approved your claim as an exception to the program guidelines. Your payment of $214.00 has been processed as a credit to your American Express Account. If you have any questions please call your PPP Customer Service Department at 18003221277. A representative is available to you 24 hours a day, seven days a week."

good news :)
That is good news.

I'm starting to get impatient, although I can see where it would take quite a while for Amex to sift through thousands of claims.

Has anyone heard of a claim being denied after a claim number was issued? My claim still shows as pending online. (t least it did yesterday: the claim page doesn't load now - not sure what that means.)

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
That is good news.

I'm starting to get impatient, although I can see where it would take quite a while for Amex to sift through thousands of claims.

Has anyone heard of a claim being denied after a claim number was issued? My claim still shows as pending online. (t least it did yesterday: the claim page doesn't load now - not sure what that means.)

I also am getting a little impatient/worried. I called AMEX yesterday and asked the status of my pending claim. I was told that they had over 17,000 claims relating to iPhone and that it may take an additional week to process (3 weeks instead of 2). I was also told that they were still deciding what to do considering Apple is giving a $100 store credit?

What concerns me is that some people have already reported being credited the $200 plus tax? How/why would they credit some the full $200, some only $100, and others $0? I too would like to know if anyone who had a claim number has been officially told they will only receive $100 or their claim has been denied?

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
I got my $400.00 this morning!

My claim still said pending on the website - but I received a 400 dollar goodwill credit this morning for my 2 phones. AMEX rocks!

I always use it for big ticket purchases "just in case", and it sure paid off this time!

I called the day after Steve's price drop announcement, if that helps anyone figure out their timeline for approval. I didn't receive any other correspondence from AMEX. I just happened to check my balance online this morning and found the credit had been applied. WooHoo!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Hmmmm, I called and was told that All Credit claims for the iPhone are now being directed to the Apple Website for the 100 store Credit.
I put my claim in about 3 hours before Apple announced the credit.
Honestly, it really doesn't matter to me that much. One way or another I got satisfaction (sort of) with the 100.00 credit. I mean, I understand that technology moves forward and gets cheaper, I just felt the Steve Job's initial attitude towards the early adopters was insulting, and that was what I was angry about. His most loyal consumers get the shaft and all he could say was "too bad". He later realized Apple's error on such a dramatic price drop so early after the product's release, and how big of a slap in the face it was to the consumers that went out and waited for hours/days to get his new revolutionary product. "Hey, this is Huge, with a huge price tag."
The Credit was a very nice jesture, just really wasn't all that practical for some of us that didn't need anything they had to offer.
I ended up buying the Apple headset, since it was the only thing I was interested in from the site. At the very worst, I get another USB cable and stand that I can dock with. I might try to incorporate the dock into my vehicle setup. or just keep it at the office. Either way, I get a suave new headset, and extra dock and cable. And if the headset doesn't perform well, then it's going to get returned until it's working right.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
Hello All,

I finally got my $218 back... Was getting a little worried that Amex wasn't going to credit me. I filled mine on the 9th which was after the Apple rebate offer. I hope everyone here gets the credit. I hope Amex is fair and credits all. I called a few times between checking the status of the claim and had to play a little hard ball saying why my claim was still in process when many people I knew already got their 200. If anyone got declied, If you have time, give Amex some calls and get a manger on the phone and start to mention other credits and state this is very upsetting, i'm sure they will come through.

AT the end i'm happy.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I was told by AmEx that only some Platinum and Centurion members received refunds. Everyone else (the masses) are supposedly still waiting and the final decision has not been made on what to do with their claims.

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
Still waiting on mine. Platinum cardholder since 01. Claim was filed on 9/10. Even took the time to send in the requested information (completed claim form, original receipt, copy of AMEX statement, homeowner's insurance policy, etc.).
Needless to say, I will raise holy hell if I am not credited. Not for the fact that Apple has put out a $100 credit, which is very reasonable and very much acceptable to me, but because others have received their credit.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I was told by AmEx that only some Platinum and Centurion members received refunds. Everyone else (the masses) are supposedly still waiting and the final decision has not been made on what to do with their claims.
As I stated earlier, Amex has been in contact with Apple and anyone that calls in concerning their claim is going to be referred to the Apple credit.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
I think AMEX sort of got themselves stuck between a wall and hard place here.

One the one hand they've already given some customers a refund including tax. If they don't do it for the rest of us we will feel cheated and yes even discriminated against.

On the other hand if they take back the credit that they gave some customers than they will feel cheated and lied to.

AMEX has the potential to lose a lot of customers here and I don't think that they knew what they got into when they started handing out credit to some.

Plus from what the sales rep told me (who was extremely nice, as are 98% of AMEX reps) They are WAY overwhelmed. Plus they are talking to Apple on the matter so that delays things even more and is way costly.

So I feel bad for AMEX they are trying to take care of their customers as best they can. But with so many complaints you have to give them props for trying to do what so very little companies do especially at this large scale, they are trying to keep the customer happy!:)

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
I think AMEX sort of got themselves stuck between a wall and hard place here.

One the one hand they've already given some customers a refund including tax. If they don't do it for the rest of us we will feel cheated and yes even discriminated against.

On the other hand if they take back the credit that they gave some customers than they will feel cheated and lied to.

AMEX has the potential to lose a lot of customers here and I don't think that they knew what they got into when they started handing out credit to some.

Plus from what the sales rep told me (who was extremely nice, as are 98% of AMEX reps) They are WAY overwhelmed. Plus they are talking to Apple on the matter so that delays things even more and is way costly.

So I feel bad for AMEX they are trying to take care of their customers as best they can. But with so many complaints you have to give them props for trying to do what so very little companies do especially at this large scale, they are trying to keep the customer happy!:)
I agree.

What I don't understand is why Amex seems to be still paying out $200 claims to anyone two weeks after Apple announced their $100 rebate. I don't see how anyone could reasonably complain if Amex offered them $100 and referred them to Apple for the rest.

It also doesn't make sense for Amex to still be reviewing every claim individually if there really are almost 10,000 claims, as I've read. You'd think that they'd decide on acceptance criteria (age of account, level of activity, and so on) and then apply those criteria automatically.