Has anyone got the $200 credit from Amex yet?

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
As I stated earlier, Amex has been in contact with Apple and anyone that calls in concerning their claim is going to be referred to the Apple credit.
I don't know if you're referring to new claims. I filed my claim on 9/6 and when I called yesterday I was not referred to Apple.

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
They called me yesterday

AMEX called me yesterday to let me know that although not covered under the purchase protection policy, they had issued my 400 dollar goodwill credit. (2 iPhones purchased on 6/29) I discovered the credit on my online account info 2 days ago.

No paperwork asked for, just a phone call the day of the price cut announcement. I KNEW that putting the phones on my AMEX card was going to come in handy, and boy did it!

One happy AMEX customer here!

mjeagent

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Northern Virginia
AMEX called me yesterday to let me know that although not covered under the purchase protection policy, they had issued my 400 dollar goodwill credit. (2 iPhones purchased on 6/29) I discovered the credit on my online account info 2 days ago.

No paperwork asked for, just a phone call the day of the price cut announcement. I KNEW that putting the phones on my AMEX card was going to come in handy, and boy did it!

One happy AMEX customer here!
Out of curiosity, when did you file your claim?
I filed mine on 9/10, which means they have until Friday, 9/21 (two weeks) to respond to my claim.
Not sure if I should call them and put the pressure on them or let it play out.

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
Called them the day of the price cut announcement

As soon as I heard the news of the drop - I got on the phone and asked for a refund! I'd call them and see what's up?!

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I was told by AmEx that only some Platinum and Centurion members received refunds. Everyone else (the masses) are supposedly still waiting and the final decision has not been made on what to do with their claims.
Is this true? Has anyone with a non-Platinium or Centurion card received a refund? I can't tell from the posts what type of card was given a refund. I sure would like to know the criteria used to give some a refund and not others? I have a "regular" green trueearnings card from Costco so I am not sure if they treat these cards different. According to the American Express website compare cards page, they all have "Standard American Express Card benefits" including Buyers Assureance Plan and Purchase Protection Plan.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I am a gold card member, and I did not get a refund.
Meaning they outright denied your claim or that you have haven’t heard back from them. If they denied your claim, when did they do it and how; by email, phone, etc?

jags86

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I have the Platinum Card. I called the sunday after the prices dropped (I think the 8th). I didn't hear about the approval via e-mail until the 17th. I received a phone call on the 18th confirming what the e-mail said (that I was received a goodfaith refund of $214).

Just a note to all. There are a bunch of AMEX cards with "platinum" in their name. The actual Platinum Card costs $450 a year--which is the one which likely got the refund promptly.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Gold card here, and a card member for 18 years (FWIW, I'm continuously offered the Platinum card but choose not to get it). I filed on 9/6 and my claim is still pending).

ArtGuy

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
Beantown, USA
If this helps - I am a Platinum card holder (the $450/yr version) That might be why they acted so quickly on my claim. Just under the 2 week mark for my credit of $400.00 for 2 phones. I'm sure they'll get to everyone eventually.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
If this helps - I am a Platinum card holder (the $450/yr version) That might be why they acted so quickly on my claim. Just under the 2 week mark for my credit of $400.00 for 2 phones. I'm sure they'll get to everyone eventually.
My guess? The "rest of us" green and gold card members will either get $100 or simply get told to utilize Apple's $100 store credit. I won't fault AmEx for either outcome if I'm right since they had no obligation to compensate any of us in the first place. The fact that they might have chosen to give special treatment to their highest-paying customers is not discrimination but rather normal discretionary businesss courtesy to favoured customers.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
My guess? The "rest of us" green and gold card members will either get $100 or simply get told to utilize Apple's $100 store credit. I won't fault AmEx for either outcome if I'm right since they had no obligation to compensate any of us in the first place. The fact that they might have chosen to give special treatment to their highest-paying customers is not discrimination but rather normal discretionary businesss courtesy to favoured customers.
My $218 credit took about a week to get, i'm a Centurion Card holder. I was not instant approved like some here got, which is odd considering I hold the highest Amex card offered.

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Yes, but holding a card with a higher fee doesn't always mean that you earn the most revenue for Amex. Platinum card holders don't necessarily charge more to their accounts than Gold card holders, although they probably do on a statistical basis. However, this data is obviously available to Amex, and I think that it would guide their decisions.

Personally, I've not accepted Amex's offer of a Platinum card because I didn't feel that it was worth it to me, but I use my Gold card a lot, and have relied on it for 20 years.

Bill A.

Jun 26, 2007
I bought two phones and just got a $105 goodwill credit (5% tax) for each phone. I bought one on a 31 year gold card and the other on a businesss card. I wonder how they decide if you get none, $100 or $200?

I am very happy with AMEX even though I am disappointed that I didn't get $200 each.

kimirike

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
At this point I'm really curios as to what criteria they are using to determine who is eligible.

First I'm going to say these are uh my stats regarding AMEX

Gold card
I'm a college student (19)
I've had it since may
I hardly use it.
I got that first year fee free offer so I haven't paid any fees.
I have my account in good standing.
Iccc only put $500 + tax on the card for my iPhone, i paid 100 cash up front.
I called in the next day of the 9/6. They said 2 weeks time to wait.
I haven't received anything, just the same ol' AMEX junk mail offers.
Claim still says pending on the online claim status page.
I'm growing impatient.

If they say no I wont be mad because from what you read above it's not like I've been a member for along time and I didn't even pay for my iPhone completely with my card. so meh whatever 2 weeks of wondering and getting fustrated for no reason. If i get it cool if not then oh well. Steve already gave me a $100..... that I gave right back to him when I bought another iPhone a few days ago....

damn back to square with me huh?

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Apparently, AMEX has been talking to Apple on this subject.

As a Platinum cardholder (33 years), I called AMEX for the $200 price protection.

I called the night of Sept. 6 and have been waiting. I was given a claim number and told the amount was $217.

Today, I see they credited my account for $100.l They must have contacted Apple and found out I got the $100 refund from Apple.

I'm glad they did something but kind of bummed that AMEX appears to have given a good number of people the $200 back.

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Just got my email notification from AmEx...

$100 back on my single phone purchase.

Stats:

Filed on day after price drop announced.

Gold card holder for ~18 years or so (not sure exactly)
I do ALOT of businesss purchasing through it, so rack up quite a bit of revenue for them...

Overall, I'm not unhappy with the refund amount, but I'm not thrilled either :p If it had been $100 for everyone, that would have been different, but knowing that some got $200 immediately, and some got $200 later kinda irks me a bit . (more knowing I'm not one of the "elite" customers I guess :p)

While I'm satisfied with how AmEx handled this for it's customers, it wasn't the level of service that would cause me to greatly increase my spending through the card, or to rave to friends/family about it. I see this as "taking care of the money source" more than "taking care of our customers"; and let's face it, any company that's been in businesss as long as Amex has learned to take care of it's income sources.

joerj11

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
Got $200 from AMEX

I just got an email from AMEX. Attached was pdf telling me that I will be credited $200 even, but that this claim is being granted outside of their retail program policies.

My Stats:
I bought 2 phones.
Filed my Claim the Sunday after the price drop.
I have a AMEX Blue Cash card.
I have put over $14k on it so far this year.
I have been a member for about a year and a half.

beerman667

Jul 29, 2007
South Florida
Like several people have now posted, I just received $100 from Amex. I have a regular green card, charge ~$2k/month, and have been a member since 2000. I was not really expecting any money back so I must say I am happy to get that. I was glad to pay $600, so a hundred back is perfectly ok with me.