Has anyone got this text from AT&T

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
There are ways to get around AT&T's retarded system. There are tons of posts on another hacking iPhone forum, where people are getting away with the tethering issue everyday. While I don't use enough data via the MyWi app for AT&T to detect anything, others do and are getting away with it everyday, so don't sit here and spout off your AT&T system garbage, because I assure you, ANY system has a work around, including AT&T's.
Sounds like they may know by having a mole in this Forum!
Signed,
Anonymous!

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
I'm not asking them to prove it off of my phone. I want to be able to let them see my phone if they ask without them seeing anything on the phone to indicate I was tethering through a third party app.

While you may be able to see how much data us used per hour, how do you know if that data was used via my iPhone or used via tethering to another device?
If you do a Google search on this problem, you will see that there is a work around for this. Btw, I've personally shown the AT&T reps my jailbroken iPhone before, and trust me I've seen a few of theirs as well, so don't worry about undoing your jailbreak.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
MyWi is safe to tether with? Why?
That's not what I said. You run the risk of getting that text if you use unofficial tethering.
I'm not asking them to prove it off of my phone. I want to be able to let them see my phone if they ask without them seeing anything on the phone to indicate I was tethering through a third party app.

While you may be able to see how much data us used per hour, how do you know if that data was used via my iPhone or used via tethering to another device?
The point of it really is to make them PROVE that they KNOW that I have been tethering. I want them to show how they know so that I can be sure that they aren't just making a guess based on my spike in usage. If they want to accuse me of something, they better be ready and able to PROVE it. I'm not going to walk in and hand them my phone, but if they ask to see it, I certainly don't want anything incriminating on there.

As far as the SHSH, I'm not sure what that is. I've seen a little about it here on these forums. Is that something I can still get?
Right. Because if it's not on your phone now, it was never on your phone and impossible that you ever used MyWi in the past. AT&T won't even consider the possibility that you removed the app.
/sarcasm

I explained it earlier. It's not difficult for them to tell if you're tethering. One way is by monitoring if you're using a non-mobile browser. It's irrelevant if MyWi is on your phone when you go to the store. The data usage information is in the system; they don't need to see the device.

Even if they believe you, you won't be any less likely to get the message again if you continue using large amounts of data and use unofficial tethering. You'll always be flagged if you stay in that boat. You either have to weather the storm and see if they are bluffing or change course. Going in and talking to them won't do a damn thing, in my opinion.

It's too late to back up a SHSH for an outdated firmware version. You have to do it while the firmware is current. You can only backup 4.3.2 right now. If you don't have any SHSHs, 4.3.2 is the only version you can restore to.

Silent Assassin

Zealot
Gold
Mar 24, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I tether to the tune of 5-9GB's per month via MyWi on my iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3.2 currently) and haven't gotten the text.. I sure as hell expected it this month because my bill shows 7.65GB's of data used, and this is all mostly from my laptop via Mozilla Firefox running a VPN server from my house, and SABnzbd downloading music/movies on cue... *shrug*

I'm not sure how AT&T is singling users out, but they have never so much as even said a thing about my data usage..

I will likely continue to push the envelope until they ping me, then I'll push it still and see what they do.. Don't do as I do though! I would recommend that you discontinue tethering ASAP in order to prevent any changes to your account.. Me, I'm on a FAN Account, so I may have more room to dance in the case of a dispute..

---
Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
What is a FAN account?

I intend to comply so as not to lose my unlimited plan. However, I still want to see how they prove whether I was tethering or not. I'm currently on day 9 of my current billing cycle and already up to 2.2 GB and have done VERY LITTLE tethering since the billing period reset. I think I will even use more live streaming on my phonr without tetheringto intentionally run up my usage without tethering just touch the issue and see if they try to ding me again.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Foundation Account Number. It's an employee discount on your monthly AT&T service bill. It's generally around 21%.

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
What is a FAN account?

I intend to comply so as not to lose my unlimited plan. However, I still want to see how they prove whether I was tethering or not. I'm currently on day 9 of my current billing cycle and already up to 2.2 GB and have done VERY LITTLE tethering since the billing period reset. I think I will even use more live streaming on my phonr without tetheringto intentionally run up my usage without tethering just touch the issue and see if they try to ding me again.
My FAN discount with AT&T is 24%. However, even those of us that do have a fan account still have to follow the terms and conditions that are set by AT&T. Which means that if we are suspected of tethering without a tethering plan on our account, we could also be switched off of our unlimited data plan.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
My FAN discount with AT&T is 24%. However, even those of us that do have a fan account still have to follow the terms and conditions that are set by AT&T. Which means that if we are suspected of tethering without a tethering plan on our account, we could also be switched off of our unlimited data plan.
I have a State of NJ (Government) discount. I also get 24%, but only on the voice part, not the data cost. But, when I call into AT&T, I get a representative immediately. I don't have to wade through all the BS and press this number and this, and than wait. I go straight through to a government representative.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
It's not difficult for them to tell if you're tethering. One way is by monitoring if you're using a non-mobile browser.
Aren't there browsers for the iPhone that can be set to report as a desktop browser? I know I'm regularly on a different platform but I generally browse in desktop mode around 50% of the time.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

soma4society

Bronze
Dec 9, 2008
Seems like the party's over; just got the message myself today, and I've been a very light MyWi user. Though I did see an interesting point made on this issue in another forum. If you're using the iPhone to tether to the ipad (vs. a laptop) which uses the same iOS software, the poster assumed that continuing to use MyWi would essentially be undetectable in this case. Can anyone chime in on this? You can't really go anywhere (web-wise) or do anyTHING different on an ipad than you can on an iPhone, so could they tell?

vice86

Bronze
Oct 16, 2009
Poconos, NJ, NYC
I came here today to find out about this! I started the MyWi trial but afraid that I'll get automatically upgraded to tethering and also lose my unlimited data plan that I'm grandfathered into (i hate that phrase).

I uninstalled it and installed PDANet because they have a "hide usage" feature....does that REALLY even work?

I don't really need tethering but if I get a wifi only tablet...then it will come in handy. I tested it out with my company iPad and used about 100MB tethering.

I don't want to raise any red flags...I already do about 4-6GB month with streaming using Audiogalaxy A LOT.

Chex

Dec 17, 2008
PA
Folks have reported that PDAnet is being detected by ATT even using the hide feature. I don't know if there is a thread on it on icafe...I found some threads on it googling. I am still waiting and have not received a text after using PDAnet . I used one of my lines that has very little data usage. That may be why they have not sent me a text.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas
I was curious how ATT was figuring out that ppl were tethering and how much data specifically goes towards tethering, from what I have read and understand the jailbreak apps to tether use iOS native tethering capabilities, instead of hiding your actually showing that your using an iOS property to tether w/out their specified tethering plan.