Has AT&T lost their mind? American greed at its fiNESt

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I am in Mexico City, Mexico. Foolishly I forgot to put my iPhone in airplane mode before boarding the flight to Mexico. I usually turn my phones connection off before boarding an international flight. I then buy a prepaid sim card and pop it in from whatever country I'm traveling to. Anyway I get a text message from AT&T informing me that I'm being charged 19.97 usd per megabyte for international data roaming. Yes that's 19.97 per megabyte. All of you that know me know how I hate to feel like I'm being screwed by large corporations so yes my blood pressure went up a few notches. I thought to myself the greed of these large corporations is absolutely unbelievable. Ok I've vented now and have drank two Chelada's so I'm fine now :). Mark

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I am in Mexico City, Mexico. Foolishly I forgot to put my iPhone in airplane mode before boarding the flight to Mexico. I usually turn my phones connection off before boarding an international flight. I then buy a prepaid sim card and pop it in from whatever country I'm traveling to. Anyway I get a text message from AT&T informing me that I'm being charged 19.97 usd per megabyte for international data roaming. Yes that's 19.97 per megabyte. All of you that know me know how I hate to feel like I'm being screwed by large corporations so yes my blood pressure went up a few notches. I thought to myself the greed of these large corporations is absolutely unbelievable. Ok I've vented now and have drank two Chelada's so I'm fine now :). Mark
That is beyond ridiculous! Two cheladas? J/k

ATT are thieves when it comes to roaming, especially when you're out of the country. 20 bucks a Mb? Beyond ridiculous.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
That is beyond ridiculous! Two cheladas? J/k

ATT are thieves when it comes to roaming, especially when you're out of the country. 20 bucks a Mb? Beyond ridiculous.
Yes I agree it probably cost me 300 bucks to write this thread. HaHa just kidding I'm on WiFi right now until I purchase a prepaid sim. Chelada= Beer, Clamato juice, a twist of lime, a dash of salt, ice and something super spicy. :) Mark

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I'm now wondering why my thread was moved from General Discussion to General Discussion? An over zealous moderator maybe? They just killed my thread no one reads moved threads due to lack of view count and responders to the thread. Mark

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
There has been quite a bit on the internet for a while now about how exorbitant AT&T's roaming rates are. I don't disagree that AT&T is very greedy when it comes to this, but why did you not check on this before you left the country? This should not have been a surprise to you.

I'm now wondering why my thread was moved from General Discussion to General Discussion? An over zealous moderator maybe? They just killed my thread no one reads moved threads due to lack of view count and responders to the thread. Mark
Your thread is about AT&T's roaming rates and is not iphone-specific. Therefore, I moved it to the AT&T forum, which is more appropriate given this subject. I, for one, don't think it's right to maintain disorder in the forums to keep threads alive. Other mods may disagree, but you caught me on duty this afternoon, my dear. :)

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
There has been quite a bit on the internet for a while now about how exorbitant AT&T's roaming rates are. I don't disagree that AT&T is very greedy when it comes to this, but why did you not check on this before you left the country? This should not have been a surprise to you.

Your thread is about AT&T's roaming rates and is not iphone-specific. Therefore, I moved it to the AT&T forum, which is more appropriate given this subject. I, for one, don't think it's right to maintain disorder in the forums to keep threads alive. Other mods may disagree, but you caught me on duty this afternoon, my dear. :)
I travel abroad frequently so I know the rates are crazy. Hence purchasing the prepaid sim. I just never looked into the exact amount charged. When I saw it today I was like wow.

On to the moved thread. I figured more people would read and benefit from this thread in the General Discussion thread. Most readers (at least I think) don't scan the whole forum unless specifically looking for something. I also thought that my thread was more general discussion in nature since it spoke to the greed of large corporations. Anyway you are the moderator and you have been extremely fair so I guess I have to live with it :). I'm posting late at night from now on (just kidding). You are great Macgirl! Mark

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
i always make sure to turn data roaming off when in mexico. i learned my lesson the hard way with AT&T long ago.

hard to beat a chelada (or 3) while in mexico. ahhh one more month till im sitting poolside just south of Cancun with one.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
i always make sure to turn data roaming off when in mexico. i learned my lesson the hard way with AT&T long ago.

hard to beat a chelada (or 3) while in mexico. ahhh one more month till im sitting poolside just south of Cancun with one.
Just bring your vest (as in bulletproof) for a good measure of safety if the cartel's start shooting. :) Mark

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
I do know what you mean. I purchased a prepaid SIM on my last trip out of the country earlier this year and saved a ton over what AT&T charges for voice and data. Unfortunately, my husband did not plan accordingly (he remained in the U.S.) and called me on his cell phone, racking up over $80 in charges for just a handful of brief calls :mad:. (Yes, I told him to not do that in advance, but he dismissed it as if I'd told him to ask for directions or something).

It's my plan to never give AT&T any more money when we've had the audacity to leave this country on a vacation. :p

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I do know what you mean. I purchased a prepaid SIM on my last trip out of the country earlier this year and saved a ton over what AT&T charges for voice and data. Unfortunately, my husband did not plan accordingly (he remained in the U.S.) and called me on his cell phone, racking up over $80 in charges for just a handful of brief calls :mad:. (Yes, I told him to not do that in advance, but he dismissed it as if I'd told him to ask for directions or something).

It's my plan to never give AT&T any more money when we've had the audacity to leave this country on a vacation. :p
Why do us guys never listen to women then regret it later? Mark:laugh2:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Yes I agree it probably cost me 300 bucks to write this thread. HaHa just kidding I'm on WiFi right now until I purchase a prepaid sim. Chelada= Beer, Clamato juice, a twist of lime, a dash of salt, ice and something super spicy. :) Mark
Budweiser has a Chelado, is that what you had? I've had Bud's version--it's not bad.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Just bring your vest (as in bulletproof) for a good measure of safety if the cartel's start shooting. :) Mark
haha I'm going to the Excellence Riviera Cancun just south of Cancun where we had our honeymoon last year. I don't plan on leaving the resort. It is pretty upscale and secure. I think I'll need my bulletproof vest or concealed handgun more while camping out for the Pre and new iPhone ;)