Have questions about iPhone? Apple tech here

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPCartmanLand

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
what about camera options we cant even pick the output resolution or anything, also VIDEO RECORDING W/SOUND wheres it at lol

missysdad

Jun 28, 2007
how to delete recent calls individually instead of all together?
I too have been having issues with force quitting in safari, mail, and youtube. The Apple store genius had me do a soft reset where you hold home key and sleep wake button until it asks to be turned off. It seems to have worked. Also, don't forget to turn off your phone eve now and then, it is a computer you know. Btw, I'm posting this from my iPhone, I love this thing!

mac29

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
how do i know if my battery is operating up to specs? is there a certain website I can go to?

Hey guys...i work for Apple and might be able to answer questions, if not I will do my best do find the answers for you...
:laugh2:

bionic3

Jul 3, 2007
Pics taken by the iPhone; can they be locked?

I've taken pictures from my iPhone and when trying to sync new photos in from my PC through iTunes, I get a message that all pictures and picture folders on my iPhone will be overwritten by those sync'ed in.

Is there a way to protect these photos already on my iPhone (since they are taken with the iPhone with no apparent way to get them over to my PC)?

Basically, I don't want to delete the photos natively on iPhone that I don't have stored on my PC.

Also, if anyone has run into this, what happened if you went ahead and did the sync?

Thanks!

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
how about an audio line out option so i can use it in my car with my sik imp.
i can't believe you guys disabled that! now i have to plug in through the headphone jack, AFTER BUYING A HEADPHONE PLUG ADAPTER FIRST, OF COURSE!

Apple came up with a really promising device, but you cahnged some things from the ipod configuration that seems to me really didn't need to be changed, and kind of screwed us in the process.

i like the phone a lot byt am disappointed at some of the decisions that were made.

Namaste

trido

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Hey there Cartman :)
Yes, every time anything goes wrong with your phone keep tab of it, and when you plug it into iTunes it will sometimes ask you if you mind forwarding the information to Apple. Believe it or not, we get that informaiton and study why your Safari crashed, or whatever else may have happened and we put a constant effort to improve, I can ass you a more reliable Safari in the upcoming month.
so for sure we will have some upgrades and not in say 6 months have to rush out and buy the newer iPhone?

Upgrades be via iTunes?

Thanks for being here

Trido
Ham Station

tfg

Jun 20, 2007
I still am unable to get my iPhone listed in iTunes to do a sync up. I activated it on another computer and it worked but I still am having problems on my own computer. I have updated iTunes. When I plug it into the USB port, it makes a sound but never gets listed in iTunes. I have xp sp2. Are my usb ports bad? They work for things like flash drives and etc.

Ranged30

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
That is correct, the iPhone has the capability of being on the phone and browsing WiFi at the same time. Before jumping the gun and saying you have a defective phone, make sure your wifi connection is actually present and strong, because there is a chance the phone jumps to EDGE because it feels that the connection is stronger via EDGE, if the problem presists take it to the Apple store, I can diagnose if over the internet.
I am using a brand new airport extreme router and I have full signal on my macbook pro...

MBHockey

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
I'm also looking forward to louder speaker phone and earpiece volume, but I'm curious about how the auto brightness is intended to work. Is it supposed to be immediate? Does the change only occur after you wake iPhone, and not really work on the fly? Why doesn't the brightness slider in settings move when you are at full brightness and then go into a dark room?

Thanks

darrston

Jun 27, 2007
AppleJon ..Citrix

Hi AppleJon

my question to you is , any chance safari will support citrix . Safari on my mac works as it can run the java client. iPhone no go . this would be one super huge step in making mine and lots of my users blackberries go away (we have a ton of BB's) .

not too mention tech support people that just need to use citrix to troubleshoot stuff specially when we are on the road and hate dragging laptops . you guys quite possibly could become IT heroes. this fix would make the product very valuable to some IT groups ....mine included

Marksman

Bronze
Jun 4, 2007
I'm also looking forward to louder speaker phone and earpiece volume, but I'm curious about how the auto brightness is intended to work. Is it supposed to be immediate? Does the change only occur after you wake iPhone, and not really work on the fly? Why doesn't the brightness slider in settings move when you are at full brightness and then go into a dark room?

Thanks
I read something about this, and it only takes effect when you turn the phone on. They found it way to disturbing to have the brightness constantly changing while you used the phone.

applejon

Jul 3, 2007
How do I access the sync settings beyond the few options I get in iTunes [music, pics, videos, etc.]. I want to know how to stop it from syncing Internet Explorer favorites and mail settings. Thanks.
Go to your iTunes. Upon syncing the iPhone please look at the top where you have options of what you want to sync at the top. Click the Info and at the bottom it will give you options on what internet options you want to sync. Hope this helps

what about camera options we cant even pick the output resolution or anything, also VIDEO RECORDING W/SOUND wheres it at lol
At this time the camera is what it is, I am not aware of any plans to enable video recording on the phone. I am not sure about the output resolution. Don't think that's something that Steve was very worried about.

how to delete recent calls individually instead of all together?
Recent calls are not made to be individually deleted, they are there to tell you who were your recent calls. If you wish to save a number you can click the blue arrow on the right of the recent call and add them as a contact. There will not be an option to delete recent calls one by one.

I too have been having issues with force quitting in safari, mail, and youtube. The Apple store genius had me do a soft reset where you hold home key and sleep wake button until it asks to be turned off. It seems to have worked. Also, don't forget to turn off your phone eve now and then, it is a computer you know. Btw, I'm posting this from my iPhone, I love this thing!
Glad to hear we got your problem resolved

how do i know if my battery is operating up to specs? is there a certain website I can go to?
Give your phone a full charge, but make sure its a full charge. At that point your counter will start ticking, to see what your status is go to Settings >Usage You will then see that it will tell you the time you used it and how you used it since the last charge. And under Usage and Standby if you wish you can reset it all to keep track of usage specs since last charge, you can then compare it to what it's supposed to be at. Hope that all made sense.

I've taken pictures from my iPhone and when trying to sync new photos in from my PC through iTunes, I get a message that all pictures and picture folders on my iPhone will be overwritten by those sync'ed in.

Is there a way to protect these photos already on my iPhone (since they are taken with the iPhone with no apparent way to get them over to my PC)?

Basically, I don't want to delete the photos natively on iPhone that I don't have stored on my PC.

Also, if anyone has run into this, what happened if you went ahead and did the sync?

Thanks!
I am not familiar with PC syncing, I know that wish a MAC you can just swap photos between iPhone and iPhoto. Should be similar with PC.

how about an audio line out option so i can use it in my car with my sik imp.
i can't believe you guys disabled that! now i have to plug in through the headphone jack, AFTER BUYING A HEADPHONE PLUG ADAPTER FIRST, OF COURSE!

Apple came up with a really promising device, but you cahnged some things from the ipod configuration that seems to me really didn't need to be changed, and kind of screwed us in the process.

i like the phone a lot byt am disappointed at some of the decisions that were made.

Namaste
Keep in mind the iPhone was not built off an iPod we didn't change it, we simply didn't choose to intergrate it, but you might see change in the future. :)

so for sure we will have some upgrades and not in say 6 months have to rush out and buy the newer iPhone?

Upgrades be via iTunes?

Thanks for being here

Trido
Ham Station
All updates will be done via iTunes. That is all I will say.

How frequently will we receive fw updates?
As frequent as they are needed, and as fast as our team can make them.

I still am unable to get my iPhone listed in iTunes to do a sync up. I activated it on another computer and it worked but I still am having problems on my own computer. I have updated iTunes. When I plug it into the USB port, it makes a sound but never gets listed in iTunes. I have xp sp2. Are my usb ports bad? They work for things like flash drives and etc.
Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes which is 7.3. Try resetting your computer and swapping between the USB ports. If that fails, call out tech line at 1-800-APL-CARE. Im not here to tech your phone. Sorry

I am using a brand new airport extreme router and I have full signal on my macbook pro...
Can you explain to me what EXACTLY happens when you try to access the internet while on the phone?

Thanks
There is no need for the brightness to keep changing, it would ruin the screen, disturb the eye, and it's just not useful. Every time you wake your phone it adjusts the brightness.

meyer1son

Jun 21, 2007
quote=Applejon;36301]Please elaborate.[/quote]

Sorry Applejon i was doing 2 things at once and misread something!

:laugh2:

A320CA

Jul 3, 2007
Volume

Will it be possible to improve the speaker and earpiece volume through a software/firmware update? Thanks!

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Will Apple make it possible to type in widescreen mode for texts and emails? As of now, the only way to type in widescreen mode is when you're on safari... It's much easier to type because the keyboard is wider... I want to be able to flip my phone when I'm texting or emailing to get that widescreen keyboard!

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
great answers, Applejon.. i am a fellow tech support agent here (tier two), I just chimed in and find this post a great idea, very interesting stuff so far. I will do my best to help out if need be. :cool:

tamakin

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Stuart, will Apple make it possible to type in widescreen mode for texts and emails? As of now, the only way to type in widescreen mode is when you're on safari... It's much easier to type because the keyboard is wider... I want to be able to flip my phone when I'm texting or emailing to get that widescreen keyboard!

stuart9682

Bronze
May 29, 2007
Will Apple make it possible to type in widescreen mode for texts and emails? As of now, the only way to type in widescreen mode is when you're on safari... It's much easier to type because the keyboard is wider... I want to be able to flip my phone when I'm texting or emailing to get that widescreen keyboard!
Apple is getting feedback constantly including preferences like these. I know you are not the only one who has spoken out, I have delivered this feedback to Support Engineers myself. However, there is no way to release information about a firmware/software update until after it is released, but again: all feedback is considered when building these updates.

Will it be possible to improve the speaker and earpiece volume through a software/firmware update? Thanks!
If you are having a speaker/mic issue then it is likely hardware-related. Rule out potential software problems with a restore in iTunes, if the issue persists, seek Apple support (1-800-APL-CARE) The good thing about these types of problems is that we can call the phone, test the mic, and then make support recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.