Have questions about iPhone? Apple tech here

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemarsh

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Here is a big issue of mine.
When using my phone to make outgoing calls with my car's built in bluetooth, the ringing is not heard through the car at all...and its not till 5-10 seconds after someone answers the phone that it is transmited through the cars speakers. Very odd. Most people are hanging up before the connection is finally made. They tell me they kept saying hello hello hello, but nobody is there. If they wait for more than 10 seconds after they pick up, then the bluetooth connection is finally made into the cars speakers.
Incoming calls pick up right away.

I have had many bluetooth phones with my car....never a problem...until now.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Here's my issue & questions:

No usage stats.

The phone HAS achieved a full charge at least twice (when I knew to look).
Once was charged on the AC Charger.
Once was charged on the dock.

Still no usage stats.

My experience has been WiFi is a big drain on battery power... (not necessarily when it's connected to a good signal, but when it's on and constantly searching)... can you confirm?

Also, is Bluetooth a big draw on battery life (I've had mixed results).

Thanks!

applejon

Jul 3, 2007
Hey everyone, I am doing my best to respond to everyone as fast as possible, sorry about the wait. Also please not that I am not 100% capable of answering ALL of your questions, this is a learning experience for me as well. Hope this helps.

Applejon = kolizion

please lock.
You got me! :laugh2:

Anyways to address all the questions regarding volume on the headset. I can assure you Apple is not sitting their and not taking blame for any of your concerns, we hear all of you. Volume adjustments will be made via SOFTWARE update if needed. This is possible.
Hey Stuart. Thanks for all the answers.

So, Is Apple feeling the pressure from people who rely on MS Exchange to sync contacts, calendar, and email?

Is Exchange connectivity going to come soon, or at all?

I love the iPhone, but lack of Exchange connectivity may become a deal-breaker for me. Since I changed over to the iPhone, I realize how much I miss it...

Jon

We are doing our best to help all of our users to sync their iPhones but we can't be compatible with everything, sorry.

How many iPhones were made, i've heard rumours that 3 million were produced as well as 500,000, any input on that?
2 Million ipods were produced, 500,000 sold by the first weekend.

Applejon,

Any chance of some calendar widget updates?

For example...

1) User-settable alert times? I hate that I cant choose my own alert time, like say, 1 minute, or 5 hours.

2) Categories. All events look the same, so its hard to distinguish between them. Categories would alleviate this, and if they had different colors, month view could be a lot more useful.

3) Week view. List view would be alright, but it shows EVERY single event. I just want it to show the next 7 days, otherwise repeated events make the list view impossible to read.

4) Drag-able events to reschedule. I think having the ability to drag events into new days for an easy reschedule would be awesome.

Any chance any (or all) of those could be implemented into the calendar widget? Right now, it feels very basic, and almost useless to really help you organize things.

Thanks Applejon!
At this point I can share exactly what is being worked on, but you can expect some widget updates in the future :)

We need to control mail settings for each email account. ie. i want to check my work email every 15 min but my gmail i can live with checking every 2 hours. it will help save battery life.

also, we need bcc! in general when composing emails and bcc yourself option for pop email. (not needed for gmail, as sent mail goes to the inbox automatically)
Hey, that might be a good idea however...
Like I said, we can't address everyones concerns and to tell you the truth I don't think many people have this exact issue.

is there any chance fot flash support? or does that voilate the terms with youtube or something. because if there was ever gona b flash support there would be no need for youtube to convert all the files into that weird format
We currently are not supporting Flash...no word on the future, but I can tell you it will not voilate and terms with YouTube.

Here is a big issue of mine.
When using my phone to make outgoing calls with my car's built in bluetooth, the ringing is not heard through the car at all...and its not till 5-10 seconds after someone answers the phone that it is transmited through the cars speakers. Very odd. Most people are hanging up before the connection is finally made. They tell me they kept saying hello hello hello, but nobody is there. If they wait for more than 10 seconds after they pick up, then the bluetooth connection is finally made into the cars speakers.
Incoming calls pick up right away.

I have had many bluetooth phones with my car....never a problem...until now.
This is odd... especially since you have used bluetooth in your car before, please contact tech support.

No usage stats.

Still no usage stats.

My experience has been WiFi is a big drain on battery power... (not necessarily when it's connected to a good signal, but when it's on and constantly searching)... can you confirm?

Thanks!
This is weird, try resetting the phone if possible. That usually solves these problems. Yes, WiFi does drain the battery ALOT and so does bluetooth. Also when they are constantly searching for a tower it drains it about twice as fast as if they were connected.

No usage stats.

Still no usage stats.

Thanks!
Does Apple have plans to allow iPhone users to send MMS with the next update?

We cant share this info at this time. Sorry

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Any word on A2dp bluetooth stereo software update? If so how long? The iPhone was advertised back in January that it would have a2dp.

Maaz

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
LA California
i am surprised Apple let us use our own pictures as wallpapers:eek:. Seriously though when are we going to get personal ringtones?

dwest218

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
"There is no need for the brightness to keep changing, it would ruin the screen, disturb the eye, and it's just not useful. Every time you wake your phone"

I really like the auto dim/brightness feature but it is not as dramatic as I would like it though. I mean it will adjust brightness but it will not adjust from end of the scale to the other. Just wish it would compensate more between indoor and walking outside?

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
My friend told me I sound liek I had my windows down when I was talking to him on the iPhone. It seems to pick up everything. What I did is I had him use my phone and walk around and sure enough you can hear all around him. I asked him to put the iPhone on speaker and he sounded more clear. Is this normal?

Juego

Jun 23, 2007
I spent 2 hours on the phone with APPLECare and they didn't help me at all. Then at the very end they kept me on hold for over 30 min and never came back... I have XP Pro 64, when will you release drivers so my iTunes will recognize my iPhone. This is very frustrating and I can't sync music, contacts, photos etc. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

invincible569

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Can I assign my own images to cover flow? The songs I have are blank and would like to put a picture to a song.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
There is an issue with Safari crashing (returning to home screen) with several people. iTunes sends a Crash Report after syncing. What issue is Apple having with Safari?

Fat Man

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
North East England
When/if Europe get the iPhone can we expect there to be some differences to what the American market currently has as regards to connectivity?

revdre

Jul 4, 2007
synching photos

thanks for being here to answer questions. I am trying to synch my photos and only about a quarter of them will synch to the iPhone. Some of those are corrupted with green bands and static. Any ideas?

kidapollo

Jul 1, 2007
Can I assign my own images to cover flow? The songs I have are blank and would like to put a picture to a song.
You can do this in iTunes. Has nothing to do with the iPhone. Select all the songs in whatever album you want to add a photo for, and choose GET INFO. (It's Apple+I on a Mac, probably cntrl+I on a PC, but under FILE in both cases.) There's a tab in the song info window called ARTWORK that will let you add photos. You can do it on a song-by-song basis or for the entire album, but I think the cover flow option on the iPhone is only available in albums. So you might have to change the artwork for each song in the album. But highlighting all of the songs in that album at once, and then choosing GET INFO, you can make wholesale changes to most off the tags on them.

**UPDATING MY POST: Songs appear grouped by album in the song view of cover flow as well. So you could add artwork for a single, as long as there aren't any other songs from the same album on your iPhone, otherwise you probably have to change all the songs with same album tag to have the same artwork.

I'm not an Apple tech, by the way, but I have a black turtleneck.

DD0

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Will there be iChat in the new update and when can we expect dragging for media content onto the iPhone? Lacking this makes putting your music, videos and photos on the phone a bit of a headache.

Thanks.

FlyersPhanatic9

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
I have not yet purchased my iPhone but plan ot maybe this weekend. But before I do, i have a question about iTunes and my previous iPod.

When i activate and sync my iPhone to my files from my current iTunes/iPod,
what will happen to my old iPod. Will it still be able to sinc in that same iTunes or no?

3Pedals_6Speeds

Jul 4, 2007
Additions

Thank you both for coming out here, I'm sure you're going to get some good stuff, and some flaming. I appreciate your caring enough to do this.

Suggestions:

1) Volume - You've heard enough about this, the consumers would like more.
2) Mail 'grouping': - On my Mac Mini, the Inbox has the ability to merge all my incoming mail into the overall inbox when I have multiple accounts, allowing me to see them all in one box rather than in separate boxes. This doesn't appear possible ion the iPhone (yet). It would be very helpful.
3) Notification sounds - Can an update be considered to allow different tones for different alert types (SMS, email, iCal, etc...)
4) Address Book - An alias from the main screen to the address book, rather than only through the phone menu, would be appreciated.

Great product, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.