HDTV Issue?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Chris is flat wrong on his LCD stance.

But that is just MHO. ;)

You also pay more for the Sony name. Samsung has been great to me for years.
I agree. But google that model number. That tv is selling for $1249 in store. That's an AMAZING deal, imo.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Another LCD fan here. I have a Samsung LN46a550 (1080p 46" 60Hz) that i love. here's why i went with these features:

-1080p: a must-have at 42"+ IMO

-60 Hz: 120 Hz looks unnatural to me. Blu-rays output at 60Hz, and TV is usually 30Hz, so when you have a 120Hz tv, it is "guessing" at what the in-between frames are, and it still ends up looking like things are being fast-forwarded a bit. If media was actually coded at 120Hz, then it would be a different story.

-LCD: I love the picture on my tv as much as any plasma. I also Have my computer hooked up to it a lot, and play video games with a lot of stationary objects, and i just did not want to have to worry about burn-in. It's probably not a huge deal anymore, but that doesn't change the fact that i would still worry about it all the time.

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
LCD beats Plasma any day of the week. Plasma sets are more forgiving, but a good LCD set will produce the brightest, sharpest picture (IMHO). On some inexpensive LCD's, you will see macroblocking and that's why I say plasmas are more forgiving.

I've purchased and returned both Samsung and Sharp. The Sony Bravia XBR is by far the best. I'd even recommend going smaller and grabbing the XBR. I think it was Amazon that had a good deal on the XBR + BluRay player.

I'd suggest you visit AVSForums. If you're like me and like to research big ticket items, you'll love this site. Real big time audio/visual nuts.

Finally, take a trip to Best Buy and compare sets. It's tough, because you cannot trust the signal. However, you should be able to see the difference between sets.

Good luck with your purchase.
we'll Chris really nailed all the important things to look for - just one thing to consider is the level of natural light in the room. one is significantly better in lighter rooms but i cant remember which. avsforums will definitely have the answer though

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
we'll Chris really nailed all the important things to look for - just one thing to consider is the level of natural light in the room. one is significantly better in lighter rooms but i cant remember which. avsforums will definitely have the answer though
Plasma is better suited to dark rooms. LCD will perform better in rooms where there is an abundance of light.

Okay, I'll get down off my LCD soapbox.:p

morth58

Bronze
Mar 17, 2008
When you buy your cables, be sure to get them from monoprice.com. Do not spend big $$ for monster cables. You can get high quality HDMI cables for $5-$8 each.

-Chris
again very good point - when cnet reviews tvs they get all their cables from monoprice - they explain it somewhere on their site as well