Help! Dropped my iPhone in the toilet

GQmacguy

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

I tried googling 3rd-party cell phone insurance to see what I could find for you, but all I could find were articles telling you NOT to buy cell phone ins., like this one : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16875928/
It looks like LockLine is the company that a lot of the carriers use. But I don't know if it is worth it. All the articles I read said that water damage is almost never covered by cell insurance.

xoulo

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
well. i saw this video on youtube along time ago, and this guy he said when your phone dropped into a bowl of water, make sure you have alcohol, rubbing alcohol would get rid of water, it will dry faster and clean the parts in there. im not sure but give it a shot if it is your only last resort

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Depending on the circumstances.

Chances are that the person didn't buckle or correctly, or were doing some excessive moving.
Yeah, it clips in loosely and it also rotates 180 degrees freely. While I was sitting in the car it rotated. When I got out of the car it lightly brushed against my car door which was just enough given the position of the holster to cause it to unclick and fall.

Design flaw or not, I was glad I had insurance and I ditched that cheap plastic OEM holster for a real protective case that it can't easily be dislodged from.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Wet-Cell-Phone

I tried googling 3rd-party cell phone insurance to see what I could find for you, but all I could find were articles telling you NOT to buy cell phone ins., like this one : http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16875928/
It looks like LockLine is the company that a lot of the carriers use. But I don't know if it is worth it. All the articles I read said that water damage is almost never covered by cell insurance.
Yeah, water damage is rarely covered. When I called to report my phone being damaged the first thing they asked is if the phone was damaged by water. That tells me that if I said yes I would have been up the creek so to speak.

tharmsen

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Depending on the circumstances.

Chances are that the person didn't buckle or correctly, or were doing some excessive moving.
Let me show you... if a picture is worth a thousand words, I just wrote a short story for ya. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

jswan

Mar 20, 2007
re. tharmsen...
Just need to reduce your deductible. It usually doesn't make a huge difference in your premium to drop from $1000 to $500, and the drop to $250 is even smaller (with most policies). The key here is to get replacement cost coverage. I carry a $25,000 photographic equipment policy and the replacement rider is only about $50 a year. Makes a HUGE difference when you need to replace something expensive like a $3000 lens!
This is off topic, but never ever use your homeowner's insurance to pay for a $600 phone. Once you've made a claim on homeowner's, it's there to stay, and will raise your future rates. Even if you have a $250 deductible, the $350 you save by claiming it is going to be offset (and more) once the insurance company raises your rates in the future because of your claims activity.

UhhhFresh

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
ahh, that really sucks. dry it out. and try it out. if it doesn't work... hope you got Applecare. =)

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
im on the phone with Apple right now and guess what...there saying that Apple covers accidental damage for the first time so i may be getting a new iPhone. Ill keep everyone updated! keep your fingers crossed for me please
Can we get more information on this? They cover accidental damage the very first time it happens and then no more after that?

Ask for this in writing, I would like to see it (I would also print it out and save it incase they change things)

frankk

Jul 3, 2007
Indianapolis
Hate to say but I agree that your iPhone is toast.

But I'll echo a very good point that an earlier poster said.

If you paid for your iPhone by credit card, you might very well have a short term damage insurance through them.

For example, I heard rumour that American Express will cover lost or damaged phone for up to 90days - sounds too good to be true but it can't hurt to check it out.

Good luck.

frankk

Jul 3, 2007
Indianapolis

mkaiser

Jun 16, 2007
This is a very disappointing thread

Trying very hard not to sound sanctimonious here, but I find it pretty disturbing to read so many comments in this thread to the effect that he should make up some story about what happened, or didn't happen, to his phone--so he can get it repaired/replaced for free.

The notion that Apple or ATT or anybody "owes" their customers anything, simply because they are billion dollar corporations is simply stupid. No offense. :)

Come on people, grow up. Faster.

J-Sauce

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Yeah, it clips in loosely and it also rotates 180 degrees freely. While I was sitting in the car it rotated. When I got out of the car it lightly brushed against my car door which was just enough given the position of the holster to cause it to unclick and fall.

Design flaw or not, I was glad I had insurance and I ditched that cheap plastic OEM holster for a real protective case that it can't easily be dislodged from.
I guess it all depends on the case you buy.

Some sacrifice the security of the device to make room for accessibility. Most people don't want to go through a series of steps to unlock a phone should they need to answer it.

So I guess you should be able to asses your needs in a case when you buy it.

These would both be good arguments on their part as to why your phone would not be covered.

Considering it was OEM though, it only seems right that they would cover it. Glad you got yours replaced.

spyrwebs

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
Travelin man, SOCAL
Do you think Apple is honest? Everyones talking about being honest but I seem to remember a long long time ago where Apple release a product called the "iPhone" in which Apple bullied their way into stealing the iPhone name from under Linksys. After repeated attempts by Sisco to prevent Apple from announcing their phone, the iPhone, Apple took their left hand and brushed off their right shoulders and then raised its right hand and brushed off its left shoulders. Talk about integrity.

What about battery life, do you even think for a second that they were honest aboout that. I see plenty of upset customers there. Apple failed to mention test were based on certain circumstances, in which no real consumers would use their phone in that environment. as in the iPod 24 hours were based on leaving it playing untouched until the battery drained. and 8 hours talk time, one call left on for 8 hours. Don't even mention car manfacture's real MPG. its never the same. I hope they sleep better at night. In a matter of fact they sleep very well. Very well indeed.

We're not talking about mom and pop stores or individual little citizens, thats a totaly different story. That's where honesty and loyality should be, where it is needed and counts the most, in the little people, amongst us. We are living in the dishonest Corporate America world where little honest shops have gone into the verge of extinction. and all it is, is a facade to get your money to fuel their Maybachs, AMGS, and Murcielagos. So walk in the Apple store and get your new iPhone, not the real OG Linksys one tho.

mkaiser

Jun 16, 2007
Do you think Apple is honest? Everyones talking about being honest but I seem to remember a long long time ago where Apple release a product called the "iPhone" in which Apple bullied their way into stealing the iPhone name from under Linksys.
Let me get this straight. You're saying that if Apple is "dishonest", then it's ok for us to be dishonest to get back at them?

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Let me get this straight. You're saying that if Apple is "dishonest", then it's ok for us to be dishonest to get back at them?
Based on his perception of Apple's "dishonesty", he is trying to rationalize the intent to commit criminal fraud. I'm sure a lot of felons can rationalize their actions too.