Help! iPhone won't Charge.

clavat

Jul 27, 2007
When I dock my iPhone, it changes the screen to the Battery Icon and about 3 seconds later, goes to my original background wallpaper and there is no longer a charging icon in the upper right battery icon.

I am able to charge it through the wall adapter but if I leave it on the dock all night, I wake up with super low battery life.

Any ideas? :(

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Sounds like a defective dock. To be honest, I don't use my dock. I have the USB end of the cable attached directly to the computer. Works great whether I charge via the USB to AC plug or the computer itself.

clavat

Jul 27, 2007
If I remove the dock portion and plug it directly into the phone, it does the same thing. Even with the same cord that it works with the AC adapter.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
If I understand correctly, the cable works when you want to charge the iPhone via the power adapter and an electrical outlet. But, when you plug the cable into your computer, you have problems.

Have you tried changing to a different USB port on your computer? You could have a bad USB port. If you are using a PC, you need to make sure you are connected to the internet to download the necessary drivers. Do you have the latest version of iTunes? What is your iPhone firmware version?

clavat

Jul 27, 2007
Correct. The problem only began a couple days ago which is where the confusion sets in.

Ive tested all of my USB ports, and everything else that is plugged into them works fine. Im running 1.1.4 firmware. I should have no problem with drivers because this has not been a problem until a couple days ago. Im stumped. I don't have the lastest version of iTunes but that shouldnt change the fact that the iPhone wont stay in the charged state.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
We've already established that you can't charge, but can you synchronize via iTunes?

Did something happen a couple of days ago? Did you have an unrelated software update? A virus attack? Could even be something in your firewall - a setting tweaked.

Once your iPhone is externally charged, try resetting by holding the home and sleep button until you see the white Apple. Try synchronizing with iTunes.

clavat

Jul 27, 2007
I tried opening iTunes and its not even in the list on the left hand side. I haven't installed / uninstalled / changed anything on my computer recently. I've tried resetting multiple times. I'm gonna try updating my iTunes (though it shouldn't matter.)