Home sharing..how to?

lowrider69

Bronze
Nov 1, 2009
uk/devon
hi guys my mrs got tomtom on her 3G and i,d love to have it :D
i,ve been told that i can get the software/app off her phone by home shareing?
can someone tell me how this is done please?

thanks if you can help :)

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
1. Use your computer’s iTunes account to buy whatever iPhone application you want

2. Download the application to iTunes and sync to your iPhone

3. Get to your family member’s, or friend’s, computer and log in to their iTunes application with your credentials

4. Log out and back in

5. Find the app and click “Buy”

6. Re-download the app

7. Log out of your iTunes account

8. Log back in with your family member’s iTunes account

9. Sync the iPhone

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
she had tomtom on her iPhone when she bought it picazzo will i not be able to share it now then?
Okay - is this TomTom app not on your wife's iTunes account? If not, you can't sync it back to iTunes! This can only happen on the original iTunes account.....hope it helped you out here!?

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
Just working from memory here but you need to have compatible (with home sharing) versions of iTunes on both computers (each computer that the other device syncs with). I believe that Homesharing came out with version 9.0 of iTunes. You will need to turn on sharing in preferences and select what you would like to share.

Once that is complete, click on the HomeSharing menu item which should appear just below the Store menu group. You will need to enable home sharing on each iTunes and then you will need to sync the two shared libraries via your network. music, movies, TV shows, Podcasts, Applications, Ringtones and Playlists can all be sync'd individually between the two computers. Highlight what you want from the shared library and select Import. You can choose to display all items or only items that are not currently in your library.

More from Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ilife/tutorials/iTunes/it6-1.html

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Just working from memory here but you need to have compatible (with home sharing) versions of iTunes on both computers (each computer that the other device syncs with). I believe that Homesharing came out with version 9.0 of iTunes. You will need to turn on sharing in preferences and select what you would like to share.

Once that is complete, click on the HomeSharing menu item which should appear just below the Store menu group. You will need to enable home sharing on each iTunes and then you will need to sync the two shared libraries via your network. music, movies, TV shows, Podcasts, Applications, Ringtones and Playlists can all be sync'd individually between the two computers. Highlight what you want from the shared library and select Import. You can choose to display all items or only items that are not currently in your library.

More from Apple here:

http://www.apple.com/support/ilife/tutorials/iTunes/it6-1.html
What if she don't have the original iTunes account where the TomTom app is located? I don't believe that you can buy an expensive app on your account, selling your iPhone to me with that on-board, and then go buy a new iPhone and login your iTunes account to re-download this app again!?

talon90

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 17, 2009
What if she don't have the original iTunes account where the TomTom app is located? I don't believe that you can buy an expensive app on your account, selling your iPhone to me with that on-board, and then go buy a new iPhone and login your iTunes account to re-download this app again!?
I agree with you completely. I was just trying to answer the other question about how to use home share. It is my belief that once he moves it over it will promt him to purchase it. I have all of my apps and music on all of my computers via home share but they are all registered to the same iTunes account so I don't have problems with purchased songs and apps. It is more for piece of mind in the event of a crash on my main computer that I sync with as well as convenience to have all the same music and information on my laptop that I travel with so that I can listen to everything, everywhere so to speak. An app from one iTunes account brought over to another should simply force a purchase prompt when attempting to access it.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I agree with you completely. I was just trying to answer the other question about how to use home share. It is my belief that once he moves it over it will promt him to purchase it. I have all of my apps and music on all of my computers via home share but they are all registered to the same iTunes account so I don't have problems with purchased songs and apps. It is more for piece of mind in the event of a crash on my main computer that I sync with as well as convenience to have all the same music and information on my laptop that I travel with so that I can listen to everything, everywhere so to speak. An app from one iTunes account brought over to another should simply force a purchase prompt when attempting to access it.
In that spirit - I'll give you the :eek:k:eek:k up!

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
thanks guys i managed to download tomtom via torrents now and works fine :D
Discussing cracked apps is against forum policy, and you shouldn't be doing it. Please edit your post to remove it.

Also, its really not fair for people who pay for / develop apps

lowrider69

Bronze
Nov 1, 2009
uk/devon
Hi iNinja what cracked hack would that be? and sorry bout that ;) but saying that people talk about cydia and jailbreaking on here which is same sort of thing is it not?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi iNinja what cracked hack would that be? and sorry bout that ;) but saying that people talk about cydia and jailbreaking on here which is same sort of thing is it not?
Nope! Jailbreak + Cydia etc. just give you some great apps and modifications that Apple won't allow you on the original firmware. But getting apps from the internet and install them the illegal way - isn't fair!

lowrider69

Bronze
Nov 1, 2009
uk/devon
Nope! Jailbreak + Cydia etc. just give you some great apps and modifications that Apple won't allow you on the original firmware. But getting apps from the internet and install them the illegal way - isn't fair!

says him with the good job and plenty of money.... look if i could aford to do it your way don't you think i would!? i cant work due to my disabilities and that will never change i,am disabled and have to live with it. don't have a go at me for being poor and unable to work

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Its exactly the same as chipping your playstation and downloading and buying cheap games - its illegal.

Cydia and jailbreaking just opens up the file structure of the iPhone so that you can change themes etc and install apps from 3rd party dev's that arent available through the app store.

Its not a problem, if you choose to do it, then thats your decision, however, I would ask you to be a little more careful when posting, as you shouldnt refer to these downloaded apps ;)

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
says him with the good job and plenty of money.... look if i could aford to do it your way don't you think i would!? i cant work due to my disabilities and that will never change i,am disabled and have to live with it. don't have a go at me for being poor and unable to work
If you cant afford it, don't buy it. Its that simple.

If you choose to torrent apps (and steal from the developer) then thats your choice, just don't post about it.

Also - Apple can tell if your using cracked Apps. especially data using ones, and your phone can be bricked over the air.

lowrider69

Bronze
Nov 1, 2009
uk/devon
Its exactly the same as chipping your playstation and downloading and buying cheap games - its illegal.

Cydia and jailbreaking just opens up the file structure of the iPhone so that you can change themes etc and install apps from 3rd party dev's that arent available through the app store.

Its not a problem, if you choose to do it, then thats your decision, however, I would ask you to be a little more careful when posting, as you shouldnt refer to these downloaded apps ;)
i don't have a problem with that thankyou for the advice:eek:k:eek:k