Homescreen Settings

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Hey guys, I've recently downloaded Homescreen Settings from the BigBoss repo for $1.99.

Add any settings icon to your homescreen!

Now when you enter Settings, you can choose whether you can add each preference page to your homescreen! the bottom of some preference pages will have a button 'Add Icon to Homescreen'

A special icon will be added to your homescreen. When you open it you will get a folder-like slice view with your application's settings right on your Springboard! You can add these icons to folders, move them, delete them, create folders full of settings icons, and most important, it works with all settings bundles for stock, jailbreak and non-jailbreak apps.
I think this is a really nifty tweak/app. I know if you start dragging all these new icons into a folder you could argue the speed of launching the native Settings.app and compare, but if you have them on the Springboard on a page then it's really handy, plus the UI is quite nice too.

Here is a screenshot of the Sounds settings:

Notice the little "Add Icon To Homescreen" at the bottom.

Here is what it looks like once you've tapped it:

I've also added the "About" menu to my Springboard so you get a better feel for it.

This is what the new shortcut looks like once you've tapped it:

I personally think this is a well thought out tweak/app and I hope the developers continue to add new features to it. When you launch the shortcut you can scroll down quickly to whatever it is you need. This isn't an SBSettings replacement but it's still good and worthy of having on your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
The half-screen UI needs to go...as if the iPhone screen wasn't small enough already...?

Numerous spontaneous resprings and springboard crashes are also not helping me warm up to this tweak. ;) I'll report back.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I enjoy it. I agree, if you wind up putting all the shortcuts on the SB and then you scroll through it in a folder, you might as well as just use the Settings app. However, for the settings that you alter frequently (such as sound, wallpaper -- I also access Masks and Lockinfo often), it's a great shortcut.

I like it!

For what it's worth, I haven't experienced any crashes. Let's hope I didn't just jinx it.

fijiman

Contributor
Silver
Feb 13, 2011
UK
This tweak works great ...I think it's really handy...I find the "Homescreen" apps work best on the dock.

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
It's still unstable for me, with LockInfo especially. It always resprings after opening a LI shortcut, even without adjusting any settings in it, and comes back in safe mode. Manual resprings are also buggy. Crash Reporter didn't suggest anything, and I'm clueless about reading the data otherwise. I uninstalled/reinstalled, and Cydia gave me a pop-up box about "half-installed" components that had to be cleaned up first, but it still wouldn't run. I'll keep tinkering.

verbalj

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
NYC
I haven't had any issues with this app and Lockinfo. Lockinfo just released a new version recently. Maybe that was it? Are you on the latest version?

snurblet

Bronze
Apr 16, 2009
WNC, USA
Yes. I uninstalled LI and still had crashes with Homescreen Settings installed. I got the same error message again from Cydia when uninstalling HS, and had to "forcibly clear" remnants of it. It would have been handy, but it just doesn't like my phone, it seems.