Houston/Galveston Area

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
How many people are going to get the new 3G iPhone from the Houston/Galveston area?

I currently have an iPhone but I think I am going to get the new one.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
How many people are going to get the new 3G iPhone from the Houston/Galveston area?

Im in clear lake in between g town and h town and im getting one but don't know if im going to wait till monday. Just so i don't have to wait in line and to read some reviews.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
Thats true thats a good idea. Will they be getting more in on Monday ya think?
I don't think they will ever sell out its just the lines i don't want to deal with.

Side note is your name bls8195 for the black lable society? If so i think i talked to you on craigs list.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Yeah I agree with you as well. I actually just called AT&T and they said I cannot get it unless I pay full retail or add a new line, b/c I just got my current iPhones a few months ago.

No BLS is my initials, but I am on Craigslist a lot.

bls8195

Bronze
Apr 23, 2008
Texas City, TX
Ok nevermind the rep came back on the line and said since I already have an iPhone even though I got it in April, I can upgrade for the current price, b/c I already have an iPhone.

wakeupluis

Jul 9, 2008
Shoreacres Texas
I am in the Seabrook area. I will probably buy one but not anytime soon. I will wait a month or two see what happens. Mine does what I need it to do now. The 3g would be nice. I do a lot of net surfing when I am bored at different places.

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
I live in Houston (near donwtown) and I will be leaving my house around 4:30 to go an Apple store. I know it sounds early, but I missed out on iDay last year and I want to be among the first to get it this year. Plus, I got a day off of work so I might as well take advantage of it!

Has anyone heard if many people from Houston are planning on showing up early?

wakeupluis

Jul 9, 2008
Shoreacres Texas
You may want to camp out the night before. Just go after work and take a sleeping bag. Its supposed to rain so go to Academy and get you a can of Camp Dry and spray all your stuff including your cloths. haha..

Just messing.. good luck with that. I don't care to be the first to have one. I will wait until everything chills out. Plus I am poor so I have to wait until I have extra money. Good luck though.

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I've lived in Houston for 18 years and I have no idea where Seabrook is o.O

I really don't think the lines will be that bad, though I'm sure they'll be much worse at Apple stores than AT&T stores.

iAttorney, I'm sure you're planning to go to the Apple store in The Galleria? That place is going to be PACKED, in my opinion. If I decide to go to an Apple store rather than an AT&T store, I'll go to the Apple store in Memorial City Mall -- I live about equally far from the one at Memorial and the one in The Galleria. I still might do a little more inspecting of the AT&T stores nearby to see if any of them give me any hope of having an enjoyable experience there. If not, I might be forced to go to an Apple store.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas

I really don't think the lines will be that bad, though I'm sure they'll be much worse at Apple stores than AT&T stores.

iAttorney, I'm sure you're planning to go to the Apple store in The Galleria? That place is going to be PACKED, in my opinion. If I decide to go to an Apple store rather than an AT&T store, I'll go to the Apple store in Memorial City Mall -- I live about equally far from the one at Memorial and the one in The Galleria. I still might do a little more inspecting of the AT&T stores nearby to see if any of them give me any hope of having an enjoyable experience there. If not, I might be forced to go to an Apple store.
Yeah don't go to The Galleria go to a low key AT&T store

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX

I am actually planning on going to Memorial City Mall as well. Maybe I will see you in line?! The Galleria is out of the question. There is no way I am going there.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007

i live in Galveston, and im definitely planning on getting the 3G, just not right away though.. i kinda want to wait it out and see what other people think first.

streborhcaz

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
I'm from the League City area but live in College Station currently. I am going to try to pick one up on Friday in College Station & if for some reason I can't get one here I am heading home Friday anyways so I might try some stores on my way home. I went by the AT&T store yesterday and asked if they are expecting a big turn out on Friday and the rep said yes, because he thinks this iPhone is more popular than the first one. I don't know how this phone is more popular than the 1st iPhone, but I think the stores are expecting large turn outs.

richardman84

Jul 9, 2007
before i read this thread, i was planning on going to the galleria...but this thread is a bit dissuading. why does everyone think the galleria will be packed? it really seems like the hype isn't nearly as big this year as it was last year, especially in houston, and lots of people have to work. i cant find any other message boards about people who plan to camp out in this area either. does anyone have any real reason to think the galleria is a bad place to go?

c_jack_70

Aug 26, 2007
Spring, TX
before i read this thread, i was planning on going to the galleria...but this thread is a bit dissuading. why does everyone think the galleria will be packed? it really seems like the hype isn't nearly as big this year as it was last year, especially in houston, and lots of people have to work. i cant find any other message boards about people who plan to camp out in this area either. does anyone have any real reason to think the galleria is a bad place to go?
I wouldn't go to there Galleria for normal shopping! As far as for the iPhone 3G on Friday, I think your better off going to a smaller out of the way ATT. Even a different mall because the Galleria has a lot of people with $$.

IMHO

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
My friend said he went into the Galleria at lunch last year on iDay, waited in line for 30 minutes and got one. Things are going to be slower this year because of the activation. I have no idea what the crowds will be like in terms of people wanting to purchase. Will it be more than last year because of 3G and the lower up-front cost? Or will it be less since the iPhone is a year old? I'd really just like to order one online. I'd be happy to pay the full retail price and then get a rebate after activation. That would achieve the same results without having to fall back on stone age technologies like having to interact with other humans in person.

richardman84

Jul 9, 2007
How did your friend get an iPhone at lunch last year? it didn't go on sale until 6 pm. he must have had a pretty late lunch!

won't the Apple store have lots more in stock? and if they will be serving 30 people at a time (according to the latest reports), it seems to me that the line may be longer but move faster. and Apple employees are generally more efficient than ATT employees in my experience.

last year, i waited at an ATT store (the one off of Wesleyan and highway 59), which was a really big store, and we were only served 10 at a time. Also, my sales rep didn't know how to ring it up right and it took about 20 minutes for me to get mine.

i'm just throwing all this stuff out here to spark a little discussion b/c i have to go to work after i get the phone and im really interested in being as little late as possible. i know lots of people are planning on ATT, but if everyone plans on ATT under the belief that it will be less crowded, ATT stores will end up being too crowded and might run out of stock. also, businesss people have to go to ATT, so that might make their lines a bit longer.

is ATT still the general consensus (with the rare exceptions from iAttorney and a couple others)?

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
How did your friend get an iPhone at lunch last year? it didn't go on sale until 6 pm. he must have had a pretty late lunch!
That's right. I'll ask him. Maybe he went after work. At the time we worked across the street from the Galleria.

iconone

Zealot
Gold
Apr 8, 2008
Clear Lake Texas
If any of yall go to the Galleria let me know how long it takes to get one. If you don't camp out i bet you wont get at the galleria. Its prob one of the biggest malls in texas.