How can I update iOS but not to latest version?

melvynadam

Dec 23, 2010
I received a new iPhone 4 today. It's running 4.0.2. iTunes offers to update it to the latest version but there's nothing about 4.2.1 which appeals to me. I'd like to update to 4.1. Is there a simple way to do so?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
In order to "restore" to an ipsw you must have shsh blobs for that firmware either on file with Cydia or locally using TinyUmbrella. This means that the device would have to have been previously jailbroken at or before the desired iOS version. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong ;)

ladres

Bronze
Oct 8, 2010
or you download the ios 4.1 file from felixburns.com
go to iTunes and select restore while holding the shift button
an select the ios 4.1 file

Last edited by a moderator:

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
or you download the ios 4.1 file from felixburns.com
go to iTunes
klich restor while holding the shift button
an select the ios 4.1 file
if I'm not mistaken, Apple no longer signs 4.1 so that won't work unless you already have your shsh blobs saved and you redirect the signing verification url in your hosts file.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

ladres

Bronze
Oct 8, 2010
there is another way shown on youtube whitch works
without the shsh thing

chet it out

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
there is another way shown on youtube whitch works
without the shsh thing

chet it out
Perhaps you should have watched that video before posting it. It "does" require you to have your shsh on Saurik's server and he even mentions this at the very beginning of the tutorial. :p

If you've ever jailbroken your iPhone before then chances are you do have your shsh recorded (assuming you elected to do so). But since melvynadam's phone is new, it won't have a shsh on file.

@melvynadam: I believe your only option is to either jailbreak at 4.0 or go ahead and update to 4.2.1 and wait for the untethered jailbreak (which should be fairly soon). You may not be impressed with 4.2.1 but it does offer some much needed improvements. And many new apps require 4.2.1. And who knows, 4.3 may be even less appealing to you and you'll wish you had your 4.2.1 shsh on record. jus saying :p

Edit: since Apple no longer signs 4.1 I don't think it's possible for Cydia to request your shsh for it. From my understanding, this process works, as long as Apple signs a firmware version, by using your ECID to make a request to Apple's server for your shsh. It doesn't actually get a shsh directly from your phone. After Apple stops signing a firmware, requests for that particular shsh are no longer valid. This is why you have to add the redirect in your hosts file. It forces iTunes to use Saurik's server to validate your shsh, instead of Apple, when installing a different firmware. Just in case you were wondering.

ladres

Bronze
Oct 8, 2010
sory my fault

bu serch by yoursef
there is currently a way
i dit it by my selve

now i can restore my device to every ios which is suppirted

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
no its not the only way
You realize no one here is going to believe you unless you provide some evidence other than "search by yourself". All signs point to having a shsh on record, even from the jb devs themselves, even from your own posted youtube link, and other youtube searches. :p just saying

We like to help each other out here with "details" and accurate information... not Google it type answers, but whatever. :cool:

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I would go ahead and and update to 4.2, indications from the dev team are that there untethered JB won't need the old blobs. It runs well like 4.1 and will allow you to use the free "find my iPhone ".

http://www.redmondpie.com/greenpois0n-will-be-untethered-for-ios-4.2.1-on-release-will-not-require-4.2b3-shsh-blobs/
What's the history behind redmond pie? Their signature says Microsoft, Google and Apple and yet it seems to be such a strongly cited Apple source.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk