How do I access the everythingicafe mobile template?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They are technically both desktop skins. Mobile 2 is responsive, so I decided to force this change. This has the unfortunate consequence of not allowing you to change to the eiC 2012 version on the iPhone. In the past, I haven't used the 'force switch' due to the limited functionality of the older mobile beta. With the new and improved mobile 2, which by all accounts is a full desktop theme, I decided to make the switch. The reason I force the switch is because most users won't switch. I had a mobile template in beta for almost a year. When I announced this new mobile template, even veteran regulars like Hondamaker were unaware that we even offered a mobile option.

I realize the force is not ideal, but I think it's the best overall solution right now. My hope is that the forum software devs would provide options for directing to mobile and then allowing users to switch to desktop. I have made requests of devs to do this, but haven't seen anything as of yet. If and when it becomes available, I'll certainly bring it here.

If there are recommendations for improvements to the Mobile 2 template, please let me know. I'm certainly open to making changes to it, so that it can provide for a more desktop like experience. My experience with it has been positive, but I might be missing something that matters to members like yourself.

It must be the magenta of eiC 2012 that makes you want to switch.
I think that's because people locked themselves into the app and threw away the key.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't have any recommendations. I just want to view the site the same way on my iPhone as I do on my desktop.

I understand that the new skin is technically more efficient and probably better for mobile use than the regular skin, but I don't want to have to use two different UI's to view the site. To me, having all the buttons, avatars, signatures, menus, etc look the same is more important than having a "mobile" skin.

Reactions: glsda

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
They are technically both desktop skins. Mobile 2 is responsive, so I decided to force this change. This has the unfortunate consequence of not allowing you to change to the eiC 2012 version on the iPhone. In the past, I haven't used the 'force switch' due to the limited functionality of the older mobile beta. With the new and improved mobile 2, which by all accounts is a full desktop theme, I decided to make the switch. The reason I force the switch is because most users won't switch. I had a mobile template in beta for almost a year. When I announced this new mobile template, even veteran regulars like Hondamaker were unaware that we even offered a mobile option.

I realize the force is not ideal, but I think it's the best overall solution right now. My hope is that the forum software devs would provide options for directing to mobile and then allowing users to switch to desktop. I have made requests of devs to do this, but haven't seen anything as of yet. If and when it becomes available, I'll certainly bring it here.

If there are recommendations for improvements to the Mobile 2 template, please let me know. I'm certainly open to making changes to it, so that it can provide for a more desktop like experience. My experience with it has been positive, but I might be missing something that matters to members like yourself.

It must be the magenta of eiC 2012 that makes you want to switch.
First off, I absolutely love the mobile template. Thank you for adding this as it makes browsing from a mobile device much more pleasant.

I would like to offer a couple suggestions, though. No rush here. I know you're out of town.

1. The full content of the non-mobile website does seem to be available on the mobile template with the exception of being able to seeing a listing of the last person to post in a thread. It would be really nice if that could be added.

Full site:
Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 4.12.12 AM.png

Mobile site:
10.png

2. It would be nice if we could access the most used buttons easier. For me, this is "Alerts" and "What's New?" Both can be accessed without a drop-down menu on the full site and it looks like there is room for these on the mobile template as well with little or no reformatting.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
First off, I absolutely love the mobile template. Thank you for adding this as it makes browsing from a mobile device much more pleasant.

I would like to offer a couple suggestions, though. No rush here. I know you're out of town.

1. The full content of the non-mobile website does seem to be available on the mobile template with the exception of being able to seeing a listing of the last person to post in a thread. It would be really nice if that could be added.

Full site:
View attachment 26214

Mobile site:
View attachment 26216

2. It would be nice if we could access the most used buttons easier. For me, this is "Alerts" and "What's New?" Both can be accessed without a drop-down menu on the full site and it looks like there is room for these on the mobile template as well with little or no reformatting.
chris any input on these suggestions?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
chris any input on these suggestions?
Let me check in with the developer and see if there are any updates. I'll pass your recommendation along and see if it's do-able.

Hoping 2013 brings a major update to our forum software and looking into a custom template as well.

Reactions: Europa

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I got used to, and grew quite fond of, the mobile template when I was having issues with the old app. I'm happy to say that the app issues are a thing of the past but I do still use the mobile template for certain things.

I'd like the see the page load with all the options offered in the "Quick Navigation Menu" present from the get go. For logged in members having "alerts" "watched threads" and "what's new" available right off the bat would be a boon IMO. Is there a way to bookmark to the opened Quick Nav Menu by chance?

Keep up the good work!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Let me check in with the developer and see if there are any updates. I'll pass your recommendation along and see if it's do-able.

Hoping 2013 brings a major update to our forum software and looking into a custom template as well.
In regards to the mobile template, do you have any update on those suggestions I made in November, specifically suggestion #2? Multiple clicks and scrolling are required to navigate between "What's new?" and "Alerts" on the drop-down menu. Switching between them multiple times a day gets tiresome. It would be user friendly and nice if those two selections were available at the top of the screen. Right now, those two options aren't even in the same submenu on the drop-down menu. On a daily basis, I think about these could be more convenient and accessible. I've tried to get used to how it is, but it feels like it's more trouble than it needs to be.

The large images at the top shift everything down, so less content is visible and more scrolling is involved. I just think that space could be better utilized. I would rather see forum content or "What's new?" and "Alerts" buttons.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
In regards to the mobile template, do you have any update on those suggestions I made in November, specifically suggestion #2? Multiple clicks and scrolling are required to navigate between "what's new?" and "alerts" on the drop down menu. Switching between them multiple times a day gets tiresome. It would be user friendly and nice if those two selections were available at the top of the screen. Right now, those two options aren't even in the same submenu on the drop down menu. On a daily basis, I think about these could be more convenient and accessible. I've tried to get used to how it is, but it feels like it's more trouble than it needs to be.

The large images at the top shift everything down, so less content is visible and more scrolling is involved. I just think this space could be better utilized.
I definitely cannot do #1. As for #2, you want fixed links correct? The issue here is that the template is 'responsive'. What it's doing is compressing the full menu when it sees a smaller screen. These links would have to be outside of the navigation menu in order for it to work. It might be possible.

As for your first suggestion, I wish there was a way because I find it incredibly frustrating to not have access to who posted last.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
"Alerts" and "What's new?" are both visible here (screenshot #1). However, you have to scroll to get to both of them because the image at the top shifts everything down. What's worse, is after you click "Alerts" and then return to the drop-down menu, "What's new?" is no longer an option without first going to "Forums" here (screenshot #2). It's convoluted and not only requires scrolling, but also requires multiple clicks. If these options were both buttons at the top of the screen, no scrolling or navigating through menus would be required. It isn't a big deal to navigate through submenus for the less frequently used features. "What's new?" and "Alerts" are probably used by others multiple times a day as well and I just think accessing them could be more convenient.

image.jpg image.jpg

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
chris I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the rating system has been having problems for a few days now. None of the ratings, with the exception of likes, can be given or viewed from the app and the mobile template. All of the ratings are still working on the full site. We're still getting alerts for the other ratings (informative, agree, etc).

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
chris I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but the rating system has been having problems for a few days now. None of the ratings, with the exception of likes, can be given or viewed from the app and the mobile template. All of the ratings are still working on the full site. We're still getting alerts for the other ratings (informative, agree, etc).
Was not aware of this, but that makes sense. There was a fix that needed to be applied. I'm on it and will get it sorted today.

Reactions: Europa

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
chris The rating system is still not working properly. We can still only see and give likes from the mobile template. Agree, informative, etc. ratings can not be seen or given.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
seems to be working for me.
You can see and give all six ratings on the mobile template in mobile Safari? If so, will you post a screenshot?

It works fine on the desktop version, but it's been broken on the mobile template for a month.

I'll post screenshots of what I see.

All six ratings are working on Chrome:
22.png

But only likes can be given and seen on mobile Safari:

1.png

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For those interested in seeing what's coming, the new template is live here. Well, for the most part. There will be some minor modifications when it goes live (such as ad removal for members).

This is a responsive template. There is no mobile template, not desktop template. Just one template to rule them all.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Looks like the update breaks support for the app. Obviously, that's a deal breaker, so I need to get a fix from the TapaTalk guys before I can update the forum. I'm sure I'll break plenty of stuff when I do the upgrade, so I'd like to limit what gets broken, where I can.

Plus, I cannot stomach any additional bad reviews on the app. Been seeing some positive reviews of late and don't want anything to jeopardize my precious 2.5 star rating.