How do I delete songs from my iPhone?

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
What you need to do is go to your Music folder on the iPhone, then swipe to the left on the song you want to delete, and it should come up with delete on the right. If this doesn't work then the only way is iTunes.
From what I understand, he actually wanted to remove all the songs.

gravitygap

Sep 24, 2012
Denver, Colorado
or even easier way to delete all your music from your i phone is to go under settings -> general -> usage -> manage storage -> music or video ( depending which you wanna edit ) then click edit or delete ALL .... GUARANTEED to erase everything off your phone. fresh start really.

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Holly bat horse this is a 5 year old thread with 1 million plus views! Wow... Just wow!

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
I thought we were going to be able to avoid going to iTunes on a computer for these kinds of functions. In fact
before IOS 6 I was deleting songs at will with a swipe, which brought up a delete button. All songs not greyed
out were on the phone/ipad. All songs greyed out were in ICloud and could be streamed or loaded onto the phone
with a button press or two. Songs could be deleted from anywhere, Artist, Songs or Playlists. Now that seems to
be gone with IOS 6. What happened to "Post PC World"?

B89rent89

Bronze
Sep 19, 2012
It's great to get instant help with iPhone, iPad and IOS on these forums. Thanks to all who provide it. Another good source is the manuals provided by Apple and others. I used the iPhone 5/IOS 6 manual downloaded from
Apple.com to solve the problem which I refer to above and others in this thread correctly stated as the solution.
"In Music - swipe to the right, bringing up a Delete button - press button and songs is deleted from the device.
It is still in iTunes or in iCloud if you have an account and you can bring it back to the device. However, in the
post above I stated it doesn't work anymore(IOS 6) and it didn't until I discovered in the manual it says iTunes
Match has to be turned off in order to delete individual songs, and that is the case.
I don't know what the state of iTunes Match was before I downloaded IOS 6 but after downloading it was definitely on. I'd appreciate it if someone running IOS 5 could check to see if it matters there. That is, can you
delete songs only when iTunes Match is turned off.

Markyboy

Bronze
Oct 29, 2011
It's great to get instant help with iPhone, iPad and IOS on these forums. Thanks to all who provide it. Another good source is the manuals provided by Apple and others. I used the iPhone 5/IOS 6 manual downloaded from
Apple.com to solve the problem which I refer to above and others in this thread correctly stated as the solution.
"In Music - swipe to the right, bringing up a Delete button - press button and songs is deleted from the device.
It is still in iTunes or in iCloud if you have an account and you can bring it back to the device. However, in the
post above I stated it doesn't work anymore(IOS 6) and it didn't until I discovered in the manual it says iTunes
Match has to be turned off in order to delete individual songs, and that is the case.
I don't know what the state of iTunes Match was before I downloaded IOS 6 but after downloading it was definitely on. I'd appreciate it if someone running IOS 5 could check to see if it matters there. That is, can you
delete songs only when iTunes Match is turned off.
You could definitely delete songs and albums on the phone with ios 5 when iTunes Match was turned on. In not sure why Apple have removed this feature.
To delete music now I have to turn iTunes Match off, delete the albums, turn it back on again and wait a while until it resyncs. I thought at first that all the other music had been deleted as well but this wasn't the case.

Lukashi

Jul 24, 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
just looked on my phone for removing songs, all you have to do is go onto any songs you don't want and swipe left or right on the name of the song, the option to delete it should come up.
I hope this is helpful for you all

Yann Stevenson

Jul 7, 2011
This will work for all iOS versions and will delete all songs at once.

1. Press and hold the Shift button while starting iTunes
2. Click "Create library"
3. Connect your iDevice and sync your iTunes library with it -

The empty iTunes will remove all multimedia contents from your new iDevice. To put back the music, simply switch back to your original iTunes library by using the Shift-key trick once again.