How do i delete the email address which show up when composing a message?

knoxguy865

Sep 2, 2010
It worked

:cool:Thanks...took about 5 minutes to clear out my recent contacts using your instructions.:cool:
You're iPhone will have to be jailbroken so you can ssh into:
/private/var/mobile/library/addressbook

You then copy out AddressBook.sqlitedb
It would be best to create a backup of this just in case something goes wrong.

Then what you'll need to do is open the file with a SQLite Database manager, I for example downloaded Visual SQLite (for free) off of download.com.

Then after installing and opening the file (AddressBook.sqlitedb) you can go ahead and delete the contact you wish to remove by:
Under Table selecting: ABRecent
Selecting the Table Data tab
And then scrolling down, finding the person, and....delete

So then you save the file, ssh it back to the same folder in your iPhone, replacing the existing one.

Cheers
Surya

DumBlonned

Nov 19, 2010
So it sounds as if surya has it figured out. I need to remove my cheating ex's address cause I'm sick of seein it pop up every time I try to send an email. But even with what seems like simple instructions I'm at a complete loss. I don't even know what ssh is! Can someone please help me? I'm already jailbroken. Hopefully it's been done correctly lol. I'm so unintelligible when it comes to this hacking stuff! I need instructions a monkey could follow...

knoxguy865

Sep 2, 2010
So it sounds as if surya has it figured out. I need to remove my cheating ex's address cause I'm sick of seein it pop up every time I try to send an email. But even with what seems like simple instructions I'm at a complete loss. I don't even know what ssh is! Can someone please help me? I'm already jailbroken. Hopefully it's been done correctly lol. I'm so unintelligible when it comes to this hacking stuff! I need instructions a monkey could follow...
Download OpenSSH from Cydia, open an SSH program (filezilla works good & is free).

On iPhone goto Settings/Wifi/Blue Arrow on SSID (network name).

Get your IP, enter that in Filezilla under 'Host'.

Username: root
Password: alpine
Port: 22

browse to: Var\mobile\library\addressbooksql

drag addressbooksql to desktop

open a free SQL editor, open file addressbooksql from editor

edit ABRecent file (delete entries as needed)

save file, overwrite.

drag saved file back to addressbook folder in Filezilla.

overwrite.

DumBlonned

Nov 19, 2010
Download OpenSSH from Cydia, open an SSH program (filezilla works good & is free).

On iPhone goto Settings/Wifi/Blue Arrow on SSID (network name).

Get your IP, enter that in Filezilla under 'Host'.

Username: root
Password: alpine
Port: 22

browse to: Var\mobile\library\addressbooksql

drag addressbooksql to desktop

open a free SQL editor, open file addressbooksql from editor

edit ABRecent file (delete entries as needed)

save file, overwrite.

drag saved file back to addressbook folder in Filezilla.

overwrite.
Well thanks a bunch. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. Unfortunately I'm still a woman and need things spelled out for me lol. I was born with beauty, not brains. It's a tradeoff. So am I supposed to be hooked up to my computer to do this? Or do I need to be ON wifi? I got OpenSSH but that's as far as I got but I can't find the blue->. Any suggestions?

knoxguy865

Sep 2, 2010
Well thanks a bunch. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. Unfortunately I'm still a woman and need things spelled out for me lol. I was born with beauty, not brains. It's a tradeoff. So am I supposed to be hooked up to my computer to do this? Or do I need to be ON wifi? I got OpenSSH but that's as far as I got but I can't find the blue->. Any suggestions?
you need to be on wifi, you need to find your IP address, you can do that if you go into settings/wifi/then select the network your connected to and find the IP address.

lemme know if that helps

DumBlonned

Nov 19, 2010
you need to be on wifi, you need to find your IP address, you can do that if you go into settings/wifi/then select the network your connected to and find the IP address.

lemme know if that helps
Haha thanks. I'm sure it would help, but I don't have wifi at home... :(

knoxguy865

Sep 2, 2010
Haha thanks. I'm sure it would help, but I don't have wifi at home... :(
download iPhone browser, connect your iPhone to the computer, and find: Var\Mobile\Library\Addressbook\addressbooksql

sent you my email in a personal message if you need remote help.

Dazzle7000

Bronze
Sep 4, 2010
Northern California
That's not the only reason. It used to really irritate me, that's why I wanted those e mails address' to go away.
You can also embarrass yourself. Hasn't anyone accidentally forwarded an email to the wrong person? That used to happen to me a lot when I was really busy or preoccupied with something else. Of course that can still happen if you're not paying attention . . .

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Although google seems to be making great stuff these days, why does their maps application not really help me get anywhere?
The iPhone version is a web app that's crap compared to what's available on Android or Blackberry for that matter. Google had a release for iOS but you can imagine the story. I wonder how many iPhone users also have a dedicated GPS.

You should see the true app; route, turn by turn call out of street names, walking navigation, cache in case data drops, street view, contacts integration, places, layers, my maps, ratings, compass pointer. With root you can preload a route for gps only use.

TomTom for iPhone is nice but at $US50 meh.

To the posts in this thread with the detailed solution, thanks much.

Actually surprised though that there isn't something on Cydia for just this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Please excuse further stray comments, but anyone know if there's a hack to get the AT&T app though not on AT&T.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
My apologies. The reason I put it where I did is it was a reaction to the previous comment about Google. Sometimes subjects overlap, you know?
None needed! I should have followed the thread closer... MY apologies to you! Yes some threads do go off on 'tangents' at times don't they lol

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Troubleina

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
Suburban Washington DC
ok, i have all the tools for this, tried a couple of times, and cant get the browse part?

Var\mobile\library\addressbooksql

if anyone has a suggestion, please hit me up. this is driving me nuts!

Troubleina

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
Suburban Washington DC
i am just going to cry. the folders are completely empty, i have downloaded each exact thing, i get in the ssh fine, see the folders, move them to desk top. nothing. what am i doing wrong?

knoxguy865

Sep 2, 2010
i am just going to cry. the folders are completely empty, i have downloaded each exact thing, i get in the ssh fine, see the folders, move them to desk top. nothing. what am i doing wrong?
hard part is done, what kind of sql editor are you using?

sent you a private message.

knoxguy865

Sep 2, 2010
hard part is done, what kind of sql editor are you using?

sent you a private message.
are you still having a problem with this?

once the file is open in sql editor you need to select ABRecent, from there you can see the tables that make up the addressbook file, delete any record (line) you don't want then save, after saving push the file back over via ssh to replace the one you got originally, this will ask you to overwrite the current (which you do after you have a backup) and all should be well.

pault

Feb 3, 2011
heres the answer to get rid of unwanted email address and it works trust me , this problem of addresses was doing my head in till i found this , all my unwanted email addresses have gone

when i downloaded it and run it , it said purchase but i just clicked the pop up shut

I use the program iBackupBot for iTunes. http://www.icopybot.com/itunes-backup-manager.htm

I would recommend doing a backup of your phone directly before running the program, as the program pulls your latest backup.

Once open, you will select Plugin from the top menu and then select Recent Email Address. This will pull email addresses you have sent to. You can delete them individual. Once done, close out the pop up.

You will then select the icon for Restore Backup/File to iPhone/iPod touch. ( from your i tunes )This will do a restore, only making the changes you selecting. Your iPhone will automatically restart. If you test one of the emails you deleted, you will see they no longer show up.