How do I prevent Safari from reloading pages in tabs

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
Any way to stop safari from refreshing pages automatically. Sometimes after being idle for awhile or after being asleep when I return to safari some pages will auto refresh but it is not always teh page I am on rather the last URL I went to.

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
When you are done with Safari instead of just tapping the home button and returning to the home screen, hold down the home button and this will close Safari completely. Next time you go to use it, you will have a new session.

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I don't want a new session.

I use Appleopolis as my main safari window. Often I will go to Diggs as an example and when i am done sleep iPhone. The next time I come on I will close the Diggs window, but then the Appleopolis window will auto refresh with Diggs.

I want a browser window always open to Appleopolis.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
whenever I have more then one page open while using safari it reloads itself whenever I choose the page again. Sometimes askng for a password depending on what webpage it is. Is there anyway to stop from autoloading itself?

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
whenever I have more then one page open while using safari it reloads itself whenever I choose the page again. Sometimes askng for a password depending on what webpage it is. Is there anyway to stop from autoloading itself?

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
I don't think there is. Way to do this. Another guy was asking the same question and I don't believe he found a solution to this. If there is a fix I would like to know it as well.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Agree'd .. This is frustrating to me as well, I would rather continue with a page where I left off, opposed to having it auto-reload. I still haven't figured out how to set a default home page with Safari, could have sworn I was able to do it on my 1st Gen iPhone last year.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Safari on the iPhone is designed to work in a limited memory footprint. This constraint pretty much clears its cache whether you want it to or not. I wonder if anyone's found an SSH hack to increase the default memory limit...

In the meantime you might want to try this: When you open a new tab, go back to your first tab and scroll around just a bit. Then go back to the new tab. I've found this little "wiggle move" will tend to keep the previous tab in memory. It's not 100%, but it's better than nothing, I think.

jsntrenkler

Zealot
Silver
Sep 22, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Safari on the iPhone is designed to work in a limited memory footprint. This constraint pretty much clears its cache whether you want it to or not. I wonder if anyone's found an SSH hack to increase the default memory limit...

In the meantime you might want to try this: When you open a new tab, go back to your first tab and scroll around just a bit. Then go back to the new tab. I've found this little "wiggle move" will tend to keep the previous tab in memory. It's not 100%, but it's better than nothing, I think.
Great tip, thanks.