how do you jailbreak a 8 gig iPod touch 2 generation

iPhone™

Bronze
Oct 4, 2008
Australia
Argh, Damn what was I thinking.

Apple patched the exploit the Dev team use to Jailbreak iPod Touches, So thereforee jailbreaking a 2nd Generation iPod Touch at the moment is impossible.

Just wait for an update from the Devs ;)

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Still nothing. You still can't jailbreak the 2 generation iPod Touch. iPhone Dev Team are concentrating more on finishing the iPhone 3G software unlock I guess.

oldirtyindian

Dec 3, 2008
let me know when i can jail break my 2.2 touch and how to install the installer i have quickpwn and everything else ready i just cant get the installer up on my ipod touch

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
Do you have a 1st or a 2nd generation iPod Touch that is running 2.2 firmware?

If it's a 1st generation, then you can use QuickPwn and do the magic,

If you're running the 2nd generation, then you can do nothing but wait for Dev Team to come up with a working jailbreak method.

TarekElsakka

Genius
Gold
Nov 14, 2008
Cairo, Egypt.
iPod Touch 2nd generation? You can't jailbreak it yet, iPhone Dev Team didn't come up with a jailbreaking method for the 2nd generation yet. You can only do so for the 1st generation one. Which one do you have?

Metal_Mavrik

Dec 26, 2008
Hey uh, I'm new to this whole Ipod touch scene and all, but this video looks very promising and hasn't recived a single negative comment yet.

(Links for needed files are in the video discription)

However, I must be doing something wrong, or windows Vista 64 bit is just having a bitchfit. Can anyone confirm if this works or not and give me some feedback on what I might be doing wrong? The program recognizes that a device is plugged in, I browse for the firmware file, but when I open it with QuickPwn it just sits there and does nothing. The firmware file is simply in my c:/downloads folder, and I think this might have something to do with it.

Not that I'm trying to Hijack the thread or anything... But this is relevant information here.

motograter

Dec 26, 2008
DON'T TRUST THAT YOUTUBE VIDEO!
PLEASE tell me you didn't follow those instructions. Currently, QuickPwn doesn't support 2gen. The guy only posted pics of Cydia, nothing to indicate that it is on a 2gen touch. He also solicits donations for help with software he provided. That should be a big tip off that something isn't right.
Be patient and wait for an official announcement from the dev team. They haven't let us down yet, right?

But hey, try it if you like..... It's your brick.....
At least get your own copy of quickpwn from their site, and a real copy of the 2.2 firmware.

Syncro_Fei

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
In order to jailbreak the iPod Touch 2G, it requires downgrading it with the 2.1.1 firmware, which is code that is signed by Apple. The protections in the iPod 2G will allow that code to run, which actually places the old vulnerability onto the iPod 2G. Then you use the old method to jailbreak it normally.

The updated method, and it's required software will be located at http://redsn0w.com/ as soon as the new method is further developed and tested.

Correction: You do not have to downgrade your firmware. Apparently, it uses a firmware 2.1.1 file as it's payload delivery system, to sneak past the security measures that exist in the iPod 2G boot sequence. It has been stated that this is a permanent jailbreak method, in other words, ANY firmware upgrade by Apple will not make this new jailbreak method obsolete.