How is it that I'm the only person who loses his pages in Safari?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
This has happened to every iPhone I've owned. And I've had an iPhone since iday, several in fact. Actually I'm on my 10th. (Many hardware failures and upgrades included. Plus a broken screen. But mainly due to hardware failure.)

Anyway, the problem...

Safari will crash and I'll reopen it and allll of my pages will be gone. No history either. It's COMPLETELY wiped out! (Speaking of... WHY doesn't safari actually save your complete browsing history? Even when Safari acts "normal" the history is incomplete!) Every time safari crashes I dread pressing that icon again. I can't tell you how often this happens. I keep a few pages open for a reason! I need them open and I need them to stay open! And I need them to not disappear because I can't remember everything! NOW I've lost 3 VERRRRRRY important webpages (and I'll NEVER EVER EVER get them BACK!) because Apple can't fix these stupid bugs.

I just DON'T understand why I am the only person complaining about these persistent issues!

Do you people actually USE your iPhones? I mean. SERIOUSLY! It's been, what? 4 years? And this bug is still here?

This is CONPLETELY inexcusable.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
I have never had this issue and haven't heard of this from anyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
How many pages do you have open in Safari on a regular basis? This last time I had 5. The thing is, this time safari didn't crash. I was using the stubleupon app and you know THAT app crashes every 10 minutes or so. Minor annoyance. But this time I opened safari and all 5 pages were gone. Not sure if it's related to stumbleupon or if it happened earlier though.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
When I remember to I do, as a backup. But screenshots are my go-to backup solution because it's much much quicker.

I don't like to use bookmarks for "read it later" type pages. These have a tendency to collect dust. Before you know it you have 200 bookmarks and no time to look through them. Having the pages open is a constant reminder.

But today I was doing something else. I had some pages open about a website I'm designing. I was researching some coding techniques and I kept finding good resources that I wanted to return to. I wasn't going to be long. I was going to check them out later today. Now I can't. There's no way I'll be able to retrace my steps to recover the lost pages.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Hey SmartAlx, I have a question for you. Do you usually restore your phones from backup when you get a new one? I ask because I had a recurring problem since the iPhone 3G with my time on the iPhone. I was ALWAYS 1min and 30 seconds behind. This might not seem like a lot of time and, who cares, but I commutte and I have to be precise with my time. I called Apple and we went through a few fixes that did not last. Finally the rep suggested to me that I restore my phone as new and NOT use any of my back ups because I had a history of this happening and I had NEVER started my phone as new. Whenever I got a new phone, because of replacement or the new purchase of the 3GS and then the 4, I always put my backup on so I would not loose any of my text messages. They are important to me.

Well, it turns out that I had a bug on my phone that was being carried over everytime I restored from back up and it would not go away unless I restored as new. The problem with that was I would loose my texts, so I just dealt with it, until there was an update of 4. something or another that has fixed the problem.

Sorry this is such a long message, and may not help you, but think back as to when you last Restored your phone as new, if ever. Bugs carry through the back up and when we put them on our phone we continue to have the same problems.

IDK if this will help you, you may Restore your phone as a new phone all the time, in which case I would call Apple and tell them about this again, even if you had already. Get a record of this and a case # even if you have already, THEY have got to do something to make this right for you because this is strange and SHOULD NOT be happening.

Hope you get a solution to this ASAP because this is causing too many issues for you.

Reactions: Yea_Sayer

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
If the pages aren't bookmarked, how is safari supposed to remember what pages were open prior to a crash? It can't.
Compare it to working on your thesis in Word and never saving the document... Power surge, glitch, what have you...Poof it's gone.
NO offense meant, but sounds like potential user / operator error to me. If the pages are that important, I would book mark them myself.
As I said, no offense meant.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
If the pages aren't bookmarked, how is safari supposed to remember what pages were open prior to a crash? It can't.
Compare it to working on your thesis in Word and never saving the document... Power surge, glitch, what have you...Poof it's gone.
NO offense meant, but sounds like potential user / operator error to me. If the pages are that important, I would book mark them myself.

Hey Roof! This sounds familiar, but Safari doesn't just hold onto a historical account of pages you looked at even if there is a crash?

I say this sounds familiar because I have had a crash and lost all my safari pages, but I remember going back into my history and getting a few opened that I was looking at. I did this a while ago, IDK if this has changed.

When I get a page I love I do bookmmark it. That can get kinda messy though.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Please excuse the asterisks. They are added by the iPhone.
Hey SmartAlx, I have a question for you. Do you usually restore your phones from backup when you get a new one? I ask because I had a recurring problem since the iPhone 3G with my time on the iPhone. I was ALWAYS 1min and 30 seconds behind. This might not seem like a lot of time and, who cares, but I commutte and I have to be precise with my time. I called Apple and we went through a few fixes that did not last. Finally the rep suggested to me that I restore my phone as new and NOT use any of my back ups because I had a history of this happening and I had NEVER started my phone as new. Whenever I got a new phone, because of replacement or the new purchase of the 3GS and then the 4, I always put my backup on so I would not loose any of my text messages. They are important to me.

Well, it turns out that I had a bug on my phone that was being carried over everytime I restored from back up and it would not go away unless I restored as new. The problem with that was I would loose my texts, so I just dealt with it, until there was an update of 4. something or another that has fixed the problem.

Sorry this is such a long message, and may not help you, but think back as to when you last Restored your phone as new, if ever. Bugs carry through the back up and when we put them on our phone we continue to have the same problems.

IDK if this will help you, you may Restore your phone as a new phone all the time, in which case I would call Apple and tell them about this again, even if you had already. Get a record of this and a case # even if you have already, THEY have got to do something to make this right for you because this is strange and SHOULD NOT be happening.

Hope you get a solution to this ASAP because this is causing too many issues for you.
It's funny that you mention this. *Did you happen to notice my recent new thread about restoring being the go-to solution for every iPhone problem?

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/am-i-the-only-person-who-is-unsatisfied-with-restoring-as-a-solution-to-problems.72529/

Anyway, when I do restore I usually do it as a new device. *Thanks for the support though. *I appreciate it.

ROTFL

You don't understand how the OS treats safari sessions. *It's got zilch to do with bookmarks silly. *When you open a new window or navigate to a new page Safari writes to a single file. *Apparently when it crashes this file gets corrupted or deleted.

I think the larger problem here is that his mobile Safari is crashing so often. What's up with that?!
You mean Safari doesn't crash every hour for you? *This has been businesss as usual for me for every iPhone I've had in the past 4 years.

LOL

Anyway, thanks for responding guys. *Maybe I use my iPhone more than you all do. *I guess my iPhone calls this use ABuse. *LOL *Out of all of my many friends with iPhones no one uses theirs as much as I do. *I don't think I'm excessive though. *I'm just doing what the advertising says I can do. *And I'm certain there are people who use theirs even more than I.

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
What's with the asterisks?

I would tend to look for a certain webpage you tend to keep loaded up that the iPhone perhaps doesn't like so much.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Stupid iPhone places asterisks in with the C/P. Because safari crashes so often I learned long ago to write my replies in the email app, where I can save a draft. Can't tell you how many long replies I used to lose back in the original iPhone days. So now I c/p from the email app and the iPhone adds asterisks. Don't know why. It bugs me to death but I gotta pick my battles.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Oh wait. I had to have started to use email to format my replies much later. We didn't get copy & paste until... what? 2 years after the first iPhone came out?

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
SmartAlx, you mention this StumbleUpon app in your initial post... have you ever tried to delete that app, reboot and see how Safari behaves afterward? It may be a bug with that particular app since I and no one I know has had this issue with Safari. I constantly keep 5-6 pages open in Safari and it has never crashed on me. Also, the asterisks being automatically placed in your copy and pastes are NOT normal! Something is definitely amiss and I'd be deleting some apps and rebooting to pinpoint the culprit. Are you jailbroken? What iOS are you currently on?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well I've had this problem for almost 4 years. I only started using the stumbleupon app a couple of months ago. Also, this is the first time the stumbleupon app was involved. Honestly I don't think the stumbleupon app caused the problem. I think it's just a coincidence. I could give it a try though.