How is it that I'm the only person who loses his pages in Safari?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Your phone obviously has some issues that aren't "normal". Personally, I'd be trying to solve this asterisk issue before the Safari one because that's ridiculous. When's the last time you restored your phone as a new device?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
True, and when it came out it was and still is the most elegant and easy-to-use copy and paste solution on a smartphone. Now you're just whining.
Not to sounargumentarive but I'm not sure about that. The earlier jailbreak solutions were pretty slick. Even saved a history. Alas they aren't being supported anymore on account of the native c&p. Also the native c/p is buggy too. LOL. Ever tried to copy a few words at the end of a sentence INCLUDING the period? Give it a go and see what happens.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not sure about that. The earlier jailbreak solutions were pretty slick. Even saved a history. Alas they aren't being supported anymore on account of the native c&p. Also the native c/p is buggy too. LOL. Ever tried to copy a few words at the end of a sentence INCLUDING the period? Give it a go and see what happens.
"...see what happens.

No problem here. Seriously, there's something unusually wrong with your iPhone. Try some of the suggestions I mentioned on the first page.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Your phone obviously has some issues that aren't "normal". Personally, I'd be trying to solve this asterisk issue before the Safari one because that's ridiculous. When's the last time you restored your phone as a new device?
LOL. You are joking about the asterisk issue right? That's the least of my concerns.

I think I restored as new a couple of months ago.

I guess you think I should restore as new now? Did you read my thread on that? Isn't restoring as new a bit like shooting yourself in the head to cure a cold? How is losing all of the data on my iPhone a solution so a problem?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
"...see what happens.

No problem here.
Try it in a text field. Write a couple of sentences then try to copy the last 3 words of the first sentence.

Doggoneit. Now it's working for me. Anyway that was only one example of a c&p bug that has always plagued me, regardless of the condition if my phone. Seriously I've received plenty of fresh iPhones right from the Apple store and every one had all of these issues straight out of the box, before I even recovered my data.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Seriously, there's something unusually wrong with your iPhone. Try some of the suggestions I mentioned on the first page.
Well, the new FW is here, right?

I hope you forgive my skepticism. I've been through about 30 of these updates and none of them has fixed the Safari crash bug. You know what they say. "Fool me once. Shame on you. Fool me 30 times. Shame on me."

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
LOL. You are joking about the asterisk issue right? That's the least of my concerns.

I think I restored as new a couple of months ago.

I guess you think I should restore as new now? Did you read my thread on that? Isn't restoring as new a bit like shooting yourself in the head to cure a cold? How is losing all of the data on my iPhone a solution so a problem?
Well you've got some weird issues and you've tried everything else you can think of so yeah, I would try restoring as new. If it doesn't fix the issue, you can always restore your backup again. But asking for help here and then berating users for their suggestions is obviously getting you nowhere, so why don't you just shuffle off for a bit and try the restore thing?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Sorry if it seems as I was berating any of you after you took the time to reply to my admittedly sour OP. Really I don't think I did berate anyone who replied but I'm sorry if my langauge came across that way. I see that the OP has a bit of berating in it but I'm pretty frustrated that after having 10 iPhones with the same issues and witnessing these same issues on other people's iPhones, people can't see these problems. I've even browsed on iPhones in the Apple store and sure enough, after 10 minutes or so safari crashes on those too.

EDIT: Oh were you referring to my "shoot in the head to cure a cold" remark? Sorry about the extreme comparison. I just think something has to be wrong at the CORE of a device that has "just throw everything away and start over again" as the only solution to so many problems. And everyone gets so snooty about it. Everyone treats that as such a minor thing, like flipping a light switch. I can understand IT people getting onto people who don't try restarting their computers to solve a problem. THAT is EASY! But losing all of the data I have collected on the phone ever the past few months doesn't seem like the same thing. But the way people write it out makes it sound oh so easy.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I know it's frustrating, but if none of us have experienced what you describe, what do you want us to do? Lie about it? I'm sorry you're having so many problems, but I really don't think it's a systematic problem of the iPhone. I hope you can resolve it.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Not to sounargumentarive but I'm not sure about that. The earlier jailbreak solutions were pretty slick. Even saved a history. Alas they aren't being supported anymore on account of the native c&p. Also the native c/p is buggy too. LOL. Ever tried to copy a few words at the end of a sentence INCLUDING the period? Give it a go and see what happens.
I use copy and paste all the time. I do most of my moderating on my iPhone. I have no problem doing what you just described. And I spend a lot of time in text entry fields.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Sorry if it seems as I was berating any of you after you took the time to reply to my admittedly sour OP. Really I don't think I did berate anyone who replied but I'm sorry if my langauge came across that way. I see that the OP has a bit of berating in it but I'm pretty frustrated that after having 10 iPhones with the same issues and witnessing these same issues on other people's iPhones, people can't see these problems. I've even browsed on iPhones in the Apple store and sure enough, after 10 minutes or so safari crashes on those too.
I really wish we had a solution for you. I know its frustrating. If you don't want to try a complete restore as new, yet again, I understand. I would call Apple and get, I guess, yet another case going on this issue. The phone should not work like that and the restores are not working, so there has to be some explanation and only the Apple Genius, or yet another new phone can help.

I know my deal wasn't as pressing as yours, the time problem I mentioned in my post #6, but I do understand your frustration. I missed a few trains because of my time lag and I too refused to restore as new. Fortunately for me, eventually an update helped the problem. I think you will have to get Apple involved, yet again. You never know, there may be a very easy explanation for this that no one has thought of.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well, thanks for your help people. At least the encouragement. The thing is I'm on an out of warranty 3Gs. Will they still help me?

BTW, next time I'm getting the extended warranty. My screen is... uhh... poo right now.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Well, thanks for your help people. At least the encouragement. The thing is I'm on an out of warranty 3Gs. Will they still help me?

BTW, next time I'm getting the extended warranty. My screen is... uhh... poo right now.
Don't think you are SOL just yet. Do you have an Apple store near you? Maybe, just maybe, if you go in there and talk nice to a Genius they might help you. Sometimes you might get a nice one or one who will try to help out. IDK. I'm grasping at straws here.

Oooh, Oooh! How about buying more warranty time on ebay for cheap? That might work. Make sure you can extend the coverage though. Sorry if this is a lame approach, but I always get my extended warranty coverage at least a week or two after I buy my device, so I'm not sure if this would work.

Dobatron81

Bronze
Sep 14, 2010
jersey shore
Why r u viewing this forum in safari? Sounds like you're just being punished to me, there are also studies that suggest that positive intent with technology helps it to operate more smoothly, genuine intent, and I feel since you have been in iHell for 4 years you may need to go to a southern baptist Apple store to be saved by steve jobs. JUST BOOK MARK EM w/ a 1-10 importance scale. Sincerely achems razor