How is it that I'm the only person who loses his pages in Safari?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I can at least corroborate the asterisk issue. Sometimes i type replies in the notes app, C&P and have to go delete the asterisks. Seems like it corresponds to spaces and/or returns.

Safari on the other hand... never had as many crashes as you describe. But i only keep three pages open at max - and only temporarily. That's a habit left from the 1.1 days. What's the point of keeping pages open if they just reload when you switch back to them? If i want to save one, i bookmark it and be done with it. Doesn't really take that long - it's two taps. But i know that's not an answer you want to hear.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why r u viewing this forum in safari? Sounds like you're just being punished to me, there are also studies that suggest that positive intent with technology helps it to operate more smoothly, genuine intent, and I feel since you have been in iHell for 4 years you may need to go to a southern baptist Apple store to be saved by steve jobs. JUST BOOK MARK EM w/ a 1-10 importance scale. Sincerely achems razor
Occam (or Ockham) would like his name spelled correctly. ;)

Dobatron81

Bronze
Sep 14, 2010
jersey shore
Occam (or Ockham) would like his name spelled correctly. ;)
Tell that to Google, or the Idiots that put in the wrong search name like me...oh wait you did lol. But let's keep talking about it anyways here's a different browser that must not be as good bc you only can have 8 pages (I have 2 animations running) no crashie.

Last edited by a moderator:

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Safari on the other hand... never had as many crashes as you describe. But i only keep three pages open at max - and only temporarily. That's a habit left from the 1.1 days. What's the point of keeping pages open if they just reload when you switch back to them? If i want to save one, i bookmark it and be done with it. Doesn't really take that long - it's two taps. But i know that's not an answer you want to hear.
As I said, bookmarks collect dust. You hide them away and forget about them. Or you forget to delete them once you are done with them.

Anyway... I take screenshots. It's MUUUCH faster in the case of crashes.

Oh, another thing. Bookmarks also don't save the back button history. Some of that is important to me too.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Pretty much. It's just a quick & easy insurance policy that doesn't clutter up my bookmarks.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can at least corroborate the asterisk issue. Sometimes i type replies in the notes app, C&P and have to go delete the asterisks. Seems like it corresponds to spaces and/or returns.

Same thing happens to me when I copy from the notes app to mobile Safari and post on the forum. My keyboard in mobile Safari has been getting completely spastic at times, lately. I've found that closing 2/8 open tabs fixes the problem.
Pretty much. It's just a quick & easy insurance policy that doesn't clutter up my bookmarks.
I have hundreds of bookmarks in mobile Safari. It's not cluttered, though. I have them organized in folders and they sync over the air with Safari through Mobile Me. It's much easier to manage than hundreds of screenshots of partial URLs.

I can't remember the last time Safari crashed on me. I think it was a couple years ago on my 3G.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
So it just flutters up your camera roll instead. Lol 
That bothers me less. I can see real quick which pics to delete. Not so easy to do with bookmarks. You have to ANALYZE to clean out your bookmarks.

BTW. Don't ask how many pics I have in my phone. LOL

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
I can't remember the last time Safari crashed on me. I think it was a couple years ago on my 3G.
I would reeallly love to head over to the Apple store and video myself reproducing this on one of their iPhone 4s andvpost it on YouTube.

Would any of you believe me if I made safari crash after 10-15 minutes of use? Would you watch that video?

The thing is, I doubt the 50 employees at the Apple store will stand by and let me challenge the reliability of one of their most popular devices.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't think Europa is questioning that it's happening to you. The point is that it is not a widespread problem. Nor are many of your issues. And that is exemplified by the title of almost all your threads starting with "Am I the only one...?"

We're just answering you. Yes. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I do believe you. I'm just saying I haven't experienced this and I don't think it's a common problem. I remember Safari crashing a lot when I first got my 3G in 2008. I think the 2.1 update fixed it. I haven't had Safari crash at all on my iPhone 4 and I use mobile Safari at least 3 hours a day.

Does this problem occur as frequently when you restore to factory settings? I wonder if the problem is carrying over from a backup?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Oh no. I'm sure y'all believe me. The reason I want to film doing this to a demo iPhone at the Apple store is to demonstrate that this isn't isolated to my iPhones. I'm on my 10th iPhone and every one has had these problems. And I usually DO restore to factory settings.

I just think this problem is more widespread than y'all realize. People #1 don't use their iPhones the way Apple advertises. They don't use all of the features, makingbit easier for the phone to cope with memory hogs like Safari. #2 people who do experience these problems don't complain about it.

That's what I think.