How is it that I'm the only person who loses his pages in Safari?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I don't think anyone was suggesting that your problems are limited to only your iPhones. I think what is on everyone's mind (people, correct me if I'm wrong here) is that it's the way you use the iPhone. Don't take it as a personal attack or anything... but keeping 5 tabs open at all times is a little excessive. And depending on what the websites are that you're keeping open, that could definitely be the root cause of your issues.

Of course, I'm sure you're thinking, "The iPhone should be able to handle it". All i can say is everything has limits. I learned long ago that Safari's limit is two or three tabs. Any more than that causes slowness and loss of the pages in cache... which makes it pointless to have multiple pages open anyway. Instead of being Safari's fault (especially considering it's the best mobile browser out there still), i tend to think it's a limit of iPhones memory.

And no, I don't really complain about it. I guess I could submit feedback through the site... but what would be accomplished by making Safari crash in an Apple store? Those people have nothing to do with it.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
No. No. No! Absolutely NOT! Keeping 5 tabs open is NOT excessive! Not in the slightest. Why... do you even know that the iPhone doesn't keep all 5 pages in memory? When you open another webpage, it purges another one from memory. Return to the other page and it will redowload the page, but then when you go back to the other one, it will purge another. V1 safari could keep MANY tabs in memory. This one seems to only keep 2. So if it's not in memory, then the number of pages I have open shouldn't affect performance.

Pretty sure I splained what crashing safari in an Apple store would do. You couldn't blame my phone. And you couldn't blame the fact that my phone is jailbroken. And you couldn't blame it on the number of apps I have. Or videos. Or music. Or whatever. The blame would rest solely on Safari.

And BTW, Apple fanboys aside, pretty sure the rest of the world considers Opera to be the best mobile browser.
2011 poll of iPhone browsers:
http://browsers.about.com/od/allaboutwebbrowsers/ss/2011-Readers-Choice-Awards-Winners-Web-Browsers_9.htm

Opera won 88% of the votes. Safari 4%.

I'm going to have to check Opera again. I forget why I stopped using it.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I refuse to believe 88% of people really prefer Opera to Safari. You can't even ZOOM in opera.

How does Opera perform for you under the same conditions?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ah geez...

Why are you so hung up on this? Do you make a living through Safari on your phone or what? I mean come on... 4 years ago you couldn't do any of this crap on your phone and now you expect it to behave like a desktop. Have you used any other mobile phones that will infinitely cache webpages without flushing memory? I'm sorry but yes, you're just expecting too much.

The V1 was horrible at caching, in my experience, no idea what you're talking about there. With websites loading up on images and java, there's only so much you're going to do with the limited memory of a phone. You can call it shoddy design if you want, but I call it the technical limitations of the day.

Reactions: canamera