How should I feel about another iPhone coming this summer?

Toranz82

Bronze
Jun 7, 2007
Florida
I bought my iPhone the second day it came out (At&t store nearby didn't have very many in stock the first day, think they had like 15-20, kinda stupid). And well I've loved my iPhone even with the few problems and some missing features I was normally used to. And now there is talk of a new iPhone coming this summer, and I really do not know how to feel about this. If I was super rich I'd be excited and not care about the money I previously spent on my first one but I do not get that luxury. I am having second thoughts on if I really should have bought my iPhone so soon. How are all of you fellow iPhone owners feeling about the new one that's rumored to be coming out?

Steveo 90

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
new models of almost everything we buy are going to come out each year
are you simply going to buy a new car just because the new model came out,thats up you

i want the new model but i will wait and see how the funds are and if there is going to be
an increase in my rate plan because of the 3g.....if everything makes sense then i will go ahead,if not i will wait till it does

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
I didn't buy mine right at launch but i feel fine about it. Considering with most consumer based goods everything gets replaced with something new with better bells and whistles. If we constantly wait for the next version we will never have anything fun to play with!

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
As Steveo said, it is just like getting a car. You know another one will come out the next year. I bought a 2006 Ford Fusion (first year they came out) and then the next year all the models have all wheel drive. Mine doesn't. I had a choice to wait or get it then. Same with the phone, I bought the iPhone knowing that it was a first edition and they may release a new one in a few years with improvements. I don't feel bad about it at all. In fact I am looking forward to it. If the changes are dramatically different then I will upgrade mine to the new one and give my phone to my Son or a coworker. Even if they don't activate the phone part they will be gaining a good ipod with a ton of games on it.

TonyTHT

Bronze
Feb 6, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I got mine on launch day in the UK - I haven't found the lack of 3G that much of an issue, mainly due to the excellent wifi capabilities. Sure, it would be great to have faster internet when not in wifi coverage, but its not a major issue for me.

Don't forget, firmware 2.0 will come out the same time, offering loads of new capabilities for existing users; thats what I'm looking forward to.

However...........

If you bought yours at launch, almost 12 months ago, and signed up for an 18month contract, is there an option to upgrade to the new 3G iPhone and transfer/renew your contract ? Or do you have to pay off the remainder of your contract then take out a new one ?

T

Elbacanazo920

Bronze
Dec 23, 2007
Bronx, NY
Jay-z Song says "Got to learn to live with regrets." If you are disappointed now, trust me you would be disappointed when they drop iPhone 3 and you have v2. Technology changes every other day just be happy with it cause i know I am happy with my iPhone even lacking features, it gives me what i want, and more than what i am used to. I'm going to rock this bad boy till its asking to be recycled. Enjoy it and keep it, just use and and upgrade to iPhone 2 when your iPhone dies out. The economy is all messed up so give it time and be happy.

Staszek

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I got mine on launch day in the UK - I haven't found the lack of 3G that much of an issue, mainly due to the excellent wifi capabilities. Sure, it would be great to have faster internet when not in wifi coverage, but its not a major issue for me.

Don't forget, firmware 2.0 will come out the same time, offering loads of new capabilities for existing users; thats what I'm looking forward to.

However...........

If you bought yours at launch, almost 12 months ago, and signed up for an 18month contract, is there an option to upgrade to the new 3G iPhone and transfer/renew your contract ? Or do you have to pay off the remainder of your contract then take out a new one ?

T

UK is a little different in the US we have a 2 year contract. But AT&T will be glad to extend that at anytime. Since these phones are not subsidized (at least not currently) AT&T doesn't have to give you anything to reup for another two years. So basically you buy the phone at whatever price it is at and they restart your 2 year contract.

There are some people stating that depending on when you started your contract (say less then a year in) AT&T will just let you buy the phone and wont extend your contract. If that is true thats even better!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I bought my iPhone the second day it came out (At&t store nearby didn't have very many in stock the first day, think they had like 15-20, kinda stupid). And well I've loved my iPhone even with the few problems and some missing features I was normally used to. And now there is talk of a new iPhone coming this summer, and I really do not know how to feel about this. If I was super rich I'd be excited and not care about the money I previously spent on my first one but I do not get that luxury. I am having second thoughts on if I really should have bought my iPhone so soon. How are all of you fellow iPhone owners feeling about the new one that's rumored to be coming out?
I got mine in December. I'll get a new one (3G) in time before the warranty expires.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
You should do like some of us---sell your 'old' iPhone and use what you make off of it to help buy the new one. I'm going to do that for sure.

RyanP

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Toranz82--one thing you have that nobody can take away is knowing that you owned this thing from almost day 1. I know I got a lot of attention the first few months I had mine, when everybody wanted to see it, and I loved showing it off. (Perhaps I'm shallow for liking that attention, but I did!) So even if a new and better one comes out this summer, getting it probably won't offer someone the same experience that all of us iPhone owners had last summer, when we were at the cutting edge of this excellent new technology.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm always excited about the prospect of new technology approaching on the horizon. If we all expected our current tech devices to last and be new forever, then we would never have any advancement whatsoever. I got my iPhone on iDay and I'm getting the new 3G one on iDay2 whenever that may be and I can't wait.

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
I too am not made of money and I saved for six months for my phone, so that I could proudly declare that I paid cash for it.

However, I am excited about a 2G iPhone. Here's the thing: We live in a Capitalist system, which is a BEAUTIFUL thing. It allows for competition which requires constant bettering of an effort made previously.

As for me, I won't be waiting in a long line this time to buy a new iPhone. I love the one I have. A 2G phone will have to impress me to get me to part with the perfectly good phone I own now.

I won't get a new one for 3G, I can tell ya that. I don't care about 3G. WiFi and Edge are just fine for me. What feature might tip me over the edge? GPS with GPS navigation like a Tom Tom navigation device. But here's the caveat: For GPS navigation on an iPhone to work, they will need to very, very seriously upgrade the speaker, because you've got to be able to hear the darn thing while you're speeding down the highway at 70 miles per hour.

So, we'll see. But how do I feel about a 2G iPhone? I feel great, bring it on.

It can only get better and better, and better is a GOOD thing!

OCiBot

May 9, 2008
CO
Hello, everyone! Yes, I'm a newbee and not yet an iPhone owner. I made the mistake (Obsessive/Compulsive glitch) of trying one, at an Apple store, today and now I want one...now! :sick:

Yes, I could wait for 3g but I don't plan to be heavy on the web. My concern is call quality, sms/email functionality. Any opinions? Everything else is icing. And I know there's a lot of everything else. Also, is there anything to the rumors of an AT&T rebate for the 3g? Just rumors, right?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Hello, everyone! Yes, I'm a newbee and not yet an iPhone owner. I made the mistake (Obsessive/Compulsive glitch) of trying one, at an Apple store, today and now I want one...now! :sick:

Yes, I could wait for 3g but I don't plan to be heavy on the web. My concern is call quality, sms/email functionality. Any opinions? Everything else is icing. And I know there's a lot of everything else. Also, is there anything to the rumors of an AT&T rebate for the 3g? Just rumors, right?
Welcome to the forums. My personal experience has been great--sms, email, call quality have all been good for me.

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
i have no complaints with my V1, but there is one thing that i believe will change in V2 with the switch to 3G. right now, you cannot receive phone calls if you're using AT&Ts Edge network for internet. you might think it's not a big deal, but think of this...

you're waiting to meet a friend, killing time on the web. he's calling saying he's late or lost or something but cant get through. you don't even know that you're missing calls. makes you think twice next time you're waiting for a call wishing you could surf the net.

i'd wait a month and see what happens

OCiBot

May 9, 2008
CO
Thank you, coasts. Though I mentioned that I won't be too heavy on the net (and I don't have any friends), it's something to think about.

So one of the commercials is a bit misleading. They make it look like it's no problem being on the Internet and then a call comes in. They don't mention that (via Edge) when a web page loads, an incoming call is essentially blocked. Is that problem really gone with 3g?