How to add custom ringtones by WJP09 with Pictures and Videos.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
nbh are you leaving the cord plugged in? Check out my video if you need another reference.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Chris if you are reading can you sticky this topic!

WJP cant thank you enough for posting this I never would have found it on my own. I was the envy of some employees at the Apple store yesterday evening when my phone was blaring some AC/DC when i had an incoming call.

nbh2188

Jul 15, 2007
nbh are you leaving the cord plugged in? Check out my video if you need another reference.
I did everything the same as you did in the video... The only thing I can think of is the first time I tried it I might have let go off the buttons early... Do you know if the program doesn't work after a failed first attempt?

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
No i messed up my first time also. Works fine. Try redoing the beginning if that dosn't work just restore iPhone and try again.

diamosaur

Jul 17, 2007
Oh and also, can you add more than one ringtone at a time, or do you have to do the whole tutorial over each time you want to add a new ringtone?

H

heespharm

I've removed all the stock ringtones except marimba

Go to iPhoneinterface

cd /Library/Ringtones/

rmdir /Library/Ringtones/Quack.m4a

One thing you may want to do is type "ls" when you get into the folder that way you can see which files are in that folder...

One thing that threw me off is that there is no message verifying that you deleted it so you gotta just check your sound menu...

azndrgnboi34

Jul 18, 2007
Thank you! The tutorial works like a charm. I ran into 2 issues but still managed to upload my ringtone. 1st problem was that I had a little hard time trying to get Jailbreak to Load up with that shutdown method. Took me a few tries and it worked. 2nd was that I did not get the message, "Enjoy your newfound freedom..." Aside from these issues the thing that matter most is that it works. Thanks again.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Thank you! The tutorial works like a charm. I ran into 2 issues but still managed to upload my ringtone. 1st problem was that I had a little hard time trying to get Jailbreak to Load up with that shutdown method. Took me a few tries and it worked. 2nd was that I did not get the message, "Enjoy your newfound freedom..." Aside from these issues the thing that matter most is that it works. Thanks again.
Ive been hearing that a lot.

Reactions: katsnd4spd

bayareaiphone

Jul 9, 2007
www.myspace.com
I Got New Ringtones Thanks To You!

Man, thanks hookin' me up. I finally got some nice ringtones on my iPhone. I made a file folder and saved the command codes there for easy access. I'm just loving it! It was easy to follow your instrucations and it look me like 15 minutes tops to do this! Once everything was complete. It now takes me under a minute to delete or add more ringtones. I have a virtual dj that I use A LOT and I cropped my mp3 songs to the part I wanted to about 25 seconds each because I when someone calls you, you are not going to here the whole song & it takes less space on your iPhone. Anyway keep up the good work and thanks to all that made this possible!:cool:

:laugh2: bayareaiPhone :laugh2:

Press and hold the Power button until your iPhone says "Slide to power off

Slide the red slider and let the phone shut down. Take iPhone off dock. Plug the dock cable back in.
If the iPhone doesn't turn on by itself, press and release the power button
When the Apple logo appears, press and hold both the Power and Home buttons.
http://www.youtube.com/v/6xPbPbrFo2Q
The phone will power off (keep holding the buttons!) and restart.
Soon it will display a yellow triangle and the message "Connect to iTunes

At this point Jailbreak will begin performing mysterious operations on your phone. Wait for it to complete and don't touch anything. You should receive this message at the end:
Enjoy your newfound freedom. Thank the devs at #iPhone next time you see them for making this all possible.
p.s. Like most other useful tools, this one may be dangerous if used carelessly. Always remember -- You brick it, you bought it.

Uploading the ringtone to the iPhone(Here's where you start if you've already done the whole process but want to add another ringtone later on)
Go to the File in which all your others are in mine would be iPhoneMOD and open the file iPHONEINTERFACE.exe

It will say WAITING FOR iPHONE
Enter these commands, which will create the Ringtone directory (if not already present) and set it as the upload directory:
mkdir /var/root/Library/Ringtones
cd /var/root/Library/Ringtones

*NOTE* THE PIC BELOW IS INCORRECT. IT NEEDS TO BE CAPITAL "L" IN Library and CAPITAL "R" in Ringtones*

*NOTE* THE PIC Above IS INCORRECT. IT NEEDS TO BE CAPITAL "L" IN Library and CAPITAL "R" in Ringtones*

For each ringtone you want to upload: Type
putfile /var/root/Library/Ringtones/xxxxxx.m4a

Where xxxxxx is the name of your m4a found in your directory. Mine would be iPhoneMOD.

YOUR DONE! High Five! Now all you need to do is power off the iPhone and Turn it back on. Something which was not clarified in the Text Tutorial.

FINAL RESULT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBVl-vhJGR4

CLARIFICATIONS: http://www.youtube.com/v/22Yu4tzZK5Y
There may be some misunderstanding about the command prompt.

THANKS TO: Apple for making a great device, cre.ations.net for hosting the original tutorial, ziel for making the jail break program, EVERYTHINGiPhone.com and its members for being such a great place, and CHRIS admin of everythingiPhone for keeping the site going.

katsnd4spd

Jul 1, 2007
SMS and New Mail Notifications

Just used the same process to customize my "new-mail" and "sms-received" notifications with simpson audio clips...works perfertly. thnx again:cool:

I am confused. How did you modify those notification sounds? I did the ringtones and the carrier hacks successfully already and have cool ringtones for those notifications, but couldn't change them in iPhone. Sorry if you have been asked this before. I did a search and couldn't find the syntax for those changes. Thanks in advance!

bayareaiphone

Jul 9, 2007
www.myspace.com
I made mine 20 - 30 seconds long because when someone calls you your phone will ring for about 10-20 seconds before the caller gets sent to voicemail and as you know your phone will stop ringin'. Your next question, when you place the command codes and added your first song to your iPhone simply press up or down arrow (on commmand prompt) and it should copy the command code for you just change the .m4a to another ringtone you have. Thats it. Hope this helps!:cool:

Oh and also, can you add more than one ringtone at a time, or do you have to do the whole tutorial over each time you want to add a new ringtone?

bayareaiphone

Jul 9, 2007
www.myspace.com
customize newm mail and sms ringtone?

How did you do this? I had a custom ringtone on my previous phone but I would like to do the same with my iPhone. Any help would be nice.

Just used the same process to customize my "new-mail" and "sms-received" notifications with simpson audio clips...works perfertly. thnx again:cool:

katsnd4spd

Jul 1, 2007
How did you do this? I had a custom ringtone on my previous phone but I would like to do the same with my iPhone. Any help would be nice.
Thanks for the info, but I was wondering if there was a link where all the files were posted. I wasn't sure which directory they were found in. I may head over to modmyiPhone and see if they have any instructions. Thanks for the info.

Imagine09

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks for the info, but I was wondering if there was a link where all the files were posted. I wasn't sure which directory they were found in. I may head over to modmyiPhone and see if they have any instructions. Thanks for the info.
Hi Katsnd4spd,
I found the instructions to modifiying the "systems sounds" embedded inside the "customize ringtones" instructions. You probably already found it-but, in case you didn't:

If you would also like to replace system sounds follow the instructions within this bordered area, otherwise skip to Step 12 to continue with ringtone replacement.

These instructions were contributed by "Christian" "Ksilebo", and "TkN". For the ultimate in customization, you can follow these steps to change your system sounds for new mail, new sms, new voicemail, et cetera. Remember you will be updating the system sounds, you can always restore them with a full restore or one by one by using the backups in the 39.dmg file.

The default system files in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
alarm.caf
dtmf-2.caf
beep-beep.caf
dtmf-0.caf
dtmf-1.caf
dtmf-3.caf
dtmf-4.caf
dtmf-5.caf
dtmf-6.caf
dtmf-7.caf
dtmf-8.caf
dtmf-9.caf
dtmf-pound.caf
dtmf-star.caf
lock.caf
long_low_short_high.caf
low_power.caf
mail-sent.caf
middle_9_short_double_low.caf
new-mail.caf
photoShutter.caf
ReceivedMessage.caf
RingerChanged.caf
SentMessage.caf
short_double_high.caf
short_double_low.caf
short_low_high.caf
SIMToolkitCallDropped.caf
SIMToolkitGeneralBeep.caf
SIMToolkitNegativeACK.caf
SIMToolkitPositiveACK.caf
SIMToolkitSMS.caf
sms-received.caf
Tink.caf
Tock.caf
unlock.caf
ussd.caf
Voicemail.caf

Step 11a. Choose a file, convert it to .aif using QuickTime and rename the .aif to .caf. The .caf sould have the exact same name as the system file you are trying to replace (i.e. yourCustom.aif becomes new-mail.caf).

Step 11b. Put the new .caf file in the phonedmg folder used earlier.

Step 11c. In the Terminal type: putfile /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/.caf Then press the enter key.

Hope this helps...

Reactions: katsnd4spd

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
Wow... haha, no thanks, I'll wait.
dude i'm only pc lit 101 and i did it in less than 30min (was carefuly reading step by step lol) thx dev this kicks ass.
1 Problem I had at first was the dl'n of the iTunes because everytime I hit restore that next box never popped up so i never got a chance to unplug the phone, this was because i had already dl'd it previously from a restore so you guyz might want to add "Step 1 is only for those who have never done a Restore" because if you have then you already have the file