How to install a screen protector perfectly?

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
That moshi looks nice. How's the clarity and can you use a tight fitting case that overlaps the front a little?
It's pretty clear but you can tell its on, it's anti-glare. I use mine with a bumper with no problems.

Laylapotata

Bronze
Nov 14, 2011
To be fair, it was just put on that day. If you take more care than I did and give it a chance to dry you will probably have better luck

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
After trying several times to install a screen protector I did it the old fashion way. I took it to the Zagg kiosk at the mall and paid the guy to install it. He made it look so easy I had him do my iPad as well as my 4S. Less frustration, you buy only one sp and the job is perfect. If you buy the screen protector at Best Buy they usually will install it at no extra charge and do a great job. When patience was being passed out I said no thanks I'll have another beer.

Laylapotata

Bronze
Nov 14, 2011
Well, I just got my xo skin today and put it on. Let me just say, I am a spaz at putting these things on and this thing is foolproof. I did everything you could possibly do wrong and 12 hours later, it looks flawless, clear and all the bubbles are gone. It appears to be idiot proof. Highly recommend.

peterthomas

Bronze
Oct 4, 2011
Everytime I do mine i become this paranoid schizophrenic maniac who's about to burst a vain. I hear people talking to me and when I see the dust underneath anyway I cry.
Tell me if that works, I need to install mine soon.
You defined it well, it means we need to become "paranoid schizophrenic maniac who's about to burst a vain" to do it in a good way!

Jarred

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2011

I follow this method, using tape to remove the dust is something I would have never thought of!

gadgetguy

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
Ok this is really irritating me now. I try to install protectors on my 4S and I make sure the screen is 110% clear of lint, dust and crap.

AS SOON AS I lay that protector on there is crap all between the protector and the screen!? How the hell can I install without this problem. I will soon leave the shields as they have to be physically invisible for them not to annoy me or make the phone look pants.
Got his idea from an 5 year old link on this site: Pour some window cleaner in a bowl, put the protector in the bowl of window cleaner, then apply to iPhone screen. You will then be able to move the protector around on the screen to get it exactly right. Let the phone set 24 hours & let the window cleaner evaporate off. It might be a little foggy for a day or so but it will clear. Still have my same protector on my 3G.

Reactions: chris

owieh

Contributor
Bronze
Jul 15, 2010
Sheffield, UK
twitter.com
Just spray a screen cleaner on your iPhone screen and then clean it. Then install your screen protector.
Not guaranteed to work every time. I've even used a blow dryer on cold to get rid of lint and dust, it worked to a degree. Possibly if we had a dust-free room it we wouldn't have to worry much.

Mind you, removing the lint and dust is only half the battle.

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Got his idea from an 5 year old link on this site: Pour some window cleaner in a bowl, put the protector in the bowl of window cleaner, then apply to iPhone screen. You will then be able to move the protector around on the screen to get it exactly right. Let the phone set 24 hours & let the window cleaner evaporate off. It might be a little foggy for a day or so but it will clear. Still have my same protector on my 3G.
I would never do that. It would probably destroy the oleophobic coating.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've never written-off a screen protector yet.

Sounds daft, but install the shield in your bathroom. Turn the shower on, shut the door and window and allow it to steam up a bit. This will allow the moisture in the air to attach itself to any fluff, dust or debris. Easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!

Girdler

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2012
To be honest, the best thing I've seen(tested myself) is the hinge method. Lifehacker outlined how this is completed. It is a kind of tedious process, because you have to apply painters tape(or any other paper-based tape as it leaves less residue).

Apply a Screen Protector Perfectly Every Time

Booyow1204

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2010
Las Vegas

I follow this method, using tape to remove the dust is something I would have never thought of!
LOL "taco" method love it!, I've always used this one and have had some great installs, the tape is great to keep in mind for future reference as I too had no idea you can get that dust out of the way with it.

gadgetgal

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I used to have to ask my husband to put these on for iPhone, but the last two times around, 4 and 4S, I managed. For iPhone, I just use a regular static cling type. I applied it in my least dusty room in the house. I have one or two very minor bubbles that are so small that even me who flies off the handle at such things can live with them.
Now for my two iPads, no freaking way! My iPad1 has a Zagg installed by BB. My iPad 2 I decided to for the first time ever in all my iOS 5 years to go without one. I have a smart cover on it and takes pains to be careful with it. iPhone though needs the screen protector as it is toted around and in my pocketbook front pocket, so no contest there.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
Did you pay BB ? They always want $ for the service.
I went to Staples just last week and finally a person who knew their stuff .
The phone guy there "Bobby" put it on for me no charge ! And they had a sale on the Zagg screens.
I will certainly go back there. BB is expensive and the customer service stinks. At least I have not had nothing but trouble with them.