How Will Apple Ship The iPad?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
yes... my shipping notification from Apple still shows (delivers by Apr 3rd) so there is still hope. I'm hoping this operator just got her facts wrong.
The UPS main hub is here in my city and I would guess that all the iPads will pass through here so I don't see this as being an excuse. I really think you will be getting your new toy on Sat.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
For those who’s tracking info says a delivery date of 4/1, I don’t think you’ll get it then. I read somewhere that Apple is telling UPS to hold the deliveries until the 3rd so everyone gets theirs on the same day. Don’t be surprised to see an Exception on your tracking history.

iprincess

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
twitter.com
For those who’s tracking info says a delivery date of 4/1, I don’t think you’ll get it then. I read somewhere that Apple is telling UPS to hold the deliveries until the 3rd so everyone gets theirs on the same day. Don’t be surprised to see an Exception on your tracking history.
UPS is terrible with delivery dates and service commitments though. I won't be surprised if they **** it up, it certainly won't be the first time.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
Mine's in Louisville KY, being separated out for shipment from the factory crate. It'd be super cool if it arrived on Thu. But, I don't live in the twilight zone, nor do I have a room with blacked out windows with a table and a chain in the middle of the room...that you know of.

Oh, it says "Exception" and doesn't show a delivery date. I hate that. I'm sure it's just because UPS is holdin it, but it makes me feel like they smashed it or lost it or something.

johnnyr

Mar 30, 2010
I'm in the same boat, but I called UPS.

They said the exception we are seeing is just that they were waiting for a customs form. She said mine is scheduled for delivery on the 2nd, and that the package did NOT have Saturday delivery (as this is an extra charge and Apple did not opt to ship it with this service) and would not be delivered on Saturday if for whatever reason UPS was told to hold it.

Now I don't know what to think.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
It makes sense. Why would Apple pay extra for Saturday shipping? Even if they got a deal it still has to cost them more for Saturday. Multiply the extra cost times 500,000 units! I really have no clue how many so that's just a number.

mbsaeger

Mar 7, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mbsaeger.com
Mine just shipped, finally... It's still sitting in China though.... And I agree with the saturday shipping thing. They REALLY couldn't deliver it ONE day earlier? They have THAT much money to spend?

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
If they deliver on Friday, a lot of people would be upset (if they miss the delivery) or have to take a day off work (not that we'd be upset about that part) in order to be home to receive the iPad. There are traditionally fewer deliveries on Saturday so this frees up more drivers for the iPad. Saturday doesn't interfere with work and I'm sure Apple worked out some sort of deal with UPS so it makes sense to me. :)

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Mine just shipped, finally... It's still sitting in China though.... And I agree with the saturday shipping thing. They REALLY couldn't deliver it ONE day earlier? They have THAT much money to spend?
Sure they have enough money! But why waste it just to be a stickler! In fact I never understood the Saturday release date anyway! Do you recon they weren't looking at the right month when they said April 3rd? And by the time someone said,"hey that's a Saturday!" but they had already made the announcement!

johnnyr

Mar 30, 2010
If they deliver on Friday, a lot of people would be upset (if they miss the delivery) or have to take a day off work (not that we'd be upset about that part) in order to be home to receive the iPad. There are traditionally fewer deliveries on Saturday so this frees up more drivers for the iPad. Saturday doesn't interfere with work and I'm sure Apple worked out some sort of deal with UPS so it makes sense to me. :)
Did you not see my post? The Rep I talked to said the service Apple used to ship the package did not include sat delivery, and it would not be delivered sat if for some reason they are told to hold it.

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
I'm in the same boat, but I called UPS.

They said the exception we are seeing is just that they were waiting for a customs form. She said mine is scheduled for delivery on the 2nd, and that the package did NOT have Saturday delivery (as this is an extra charge and Apple did not opt to ship it with this service) and would not be delivered on Saturday if for whatever reason UPS was told to hold it.

Now I don't know what to think.
Missed this one... did you order yours on day one? I would think Apple would have shipped as many as possible to a local distribution point to avoid any customs issues (before hand). It's odd that Apple would guarantee Saturday delivery provided your area offered Saturday delivery and you ordered in time to be among the first shipped.

UPDATE: Another thing to look at is whether or not it says "Express". UPS Express delivery is Saturday delivery.

johnnyr

Mar 30, 2010
Missed this one... did you order yours on day one? I would think Apple would have shipped as many as possible to a local distribution point to avoid any customs issues (before hand). It's odd that Apple would guarantee Saturday delivery provided your area offered Saturday delivery and you ordered in time to be among the first shipped.

UPDATE: Another thing to look at is whether or not it says "Express". UPS Express delivery is Saturday delivery.
Huh, well now you have me ALL confused =)

I ordered on day 1, and my tracking does say express....maybe the rep I talked to was on something?

According to this:

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/express.html

Sat delivery is a value-add, and isn't automatically included in express delivery.

What do you think? Would you mind calling UPS and see what they tell you?

KrakaJap

Zealot
Gold
Jul 7, 2009
IL
Huh, well now you have me ALL confused =)

I ordered on day 1, and my tracking does say express....maybe the rep I talked to was on something?
In my experience it's better to NOT trust the person on the phone. Call Apple and talk with them... they have tracking too :) If your order is messed up and you don't receive it on time, they should do something about it (maybe even throw in a free iPod nano). lol

What do you think? Would you mind calling UPS and see what they tell you?
I would but I don't have a tracking number yet... and they don't help much without that. :)

And it's "Value-Added"... that's a part of Express (from my understanding). They just provide a link to define what it means.

johnnyr

Mar 30, 2010
In my experience it's better to NOT trust the person on the phone. Call Apple and talk with them... they have tracking too :) If your order is messed up and you don't receive it on time, they should do something about it (maybe even throw in a free iPod nano). lol

I would but I don't have a tracking number yet... and they don't help much without that. :)
Good suggestion. I guess I will just wait for now. I'm really hoping they deliver it on Sat, since I'll be at work on Friday and unable to sign for the package.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
UPS Status: "BROKERAGE RELEASED SHIPMENT. SHIPMENT IS SUBMITTED TO CLEARING AGENCY FOR FURTHER CLEARANCE"