Hurricane Sandy

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
I find it ironic that the biggest storm in years happens a few days before election day. Hmmmmm guess all the development of storm creating weapons really has paid off ;)

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
You could drop several Earths into Jupiter's Great Red Spot storm. Stop whining.
Where am I whining? I'm only stating a fact. I didn't exactly go out and measure the storm nor count the amount of devastation, it's on the news. You got problems with that, call CNN ;)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I hope everyone faired well during the storm. We got to go home early today because a couple of our suppliers are in Pennsylvania.
Anyway, I hope everyone in the storm's path is ok.

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
It even affected us here! (in very small, insignificant ways). A few major networks in my city were down because they were based in New York or Toronto. It's just crazy how far reaching the ripple effects can be.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've been without power since Monday. Cell service was pretty much crap also, save for Verizon Wireless which would work in spurts. Our AT&T iPhones were pretty much useless. Having them on would just drain the power. The iPad (first gen) once again proved it's mettle. Battery life was amazing for watching movies.

Thankfully, my house was unscathed, but my neighborhood is filled with downed trees and power lines. We decided to drive to my in-laws for power, heat. Our local power company is less than great. Last year, it took 7 days to restore power. With this storm being worse, I'm not terribly optimistic. The state is monitoring their actions, so perhaps they'll be more on the ball. Trucks are coming from out of state, so that might help.

Reactions: EverythingApple

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
So, I live in a small little farming town of 3500 people. I'm about an hour and a half north of the city. Just waited in line for 45 minutes for gas....UP HERE! I can only imagine what it's like closer to the city in harder hit areas. This just gets worse and worse.

And....there are preliminary forecasts of a Nor'easter hitting next week. :unsure:

Mommy

Zealot
Gold
Feb 19, 2011
NY
So, I live in a small little farming town of 3500 people. I'm about an hour and a half north of the city. Just waited in line for 45 minutes for gas....UP HERE! I can only imagine what it's like closer to the city in harder hit areas. This just gets worse and worse.

And....there are preliminary forecasts of a Nor'easter hitting next week. :unsure:
Yup! Fishkill, wapp, and hopewell ALL 1/2 hr or hour to fill up!

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I've been without power since Monday. Cell service was pretty much crap also, save for Verizon Wireless which would work in spurts. Our AT&T iPhones were pretty much useless. Having them on would just drain the power. The iPad (first gen) once again proved it's mettle. Battery life was amazing for watching movies.

Thankfully, my house was unscathed, but my neighborhood is filled with downed trees and power lines. We decided to drive to my in-laws for power, heat. Our local power company is less than great. Last year, it took 7 days to restore power. With this storm being worse, I'm not terribly optimistic. The state is monitoring their actions, so perhaps they'll be more on the ball. Trucks are coming from out of state, so that might help.
Do you have att or Verizon?

I follow att on Instagram and they are posting several pictures a day of how they are trying hard to keep customers connected.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

CanadianNemo

Genius
Gold
Aug 31, 2010
Do you have att or Verizon?

I follow att on Instagram and they are posting several pictures a day of how they are trying hard to keep customers connected.

Chris said AT&T in his post. While I don't doubt they're trying, I see PR being a major driving force behind such pictures. Maybe I'm just jaded...? ;)

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
Chris said AT&T in his post. While I don't doubt they're trying, I see PR being a major driving force behind such pictures. Maybe I'm just jaded...? ;)
He also said verizon. :)

Att and tmobile said they have bonded networks for like a week so tmobile users will work on att and att will work on sprint.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He also said verizon. :)

Att and tmobile said they have bonded networks for like a week so tmobile users will work on att and att will work on sprint.
The AT&T iPhone doesn't have a CDMA radio chip, so I don't think that would work.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
The storm hit my town as it did all others. Because of the higher elevation of where my town is situated and how they built the darn town, we don't get flooded. We had lots of downed trees. In my complex alone there were over ten of them. Last Octobers snow storm crippled many of the trees, this Sandy storm took the crippled ones out! Personally I am excited about two of them being cut down, they blocked my view of the street and surrounding areas and that was a safety hazard.

We were out of power for one day, so I'm not complaining. It's just annoying when you don't know when the power's coming back so you anticipate the worst. We had some pretty expensive Fish in the freezer that I didn't want to throw away. Luckily we were smart enough to turn the fridge and freezer up to the highest setting so when we did lose power the fridge stayed cold and frozen items didn't thaw that much.

The worst part was the people walking around the streets like Zombies because they had no power. The lines for gas was bad and gets worse every day. There were lots of fights and now the cops are involved to keep the people civil. I was told a story yesterday of a couple who just got gas in two gas cans for their generator and the husband parked away from the crowd. He told his wife he would go get the car and come and pick her up as not to make her walk back to the car carrying a heavy gas can. Well, not moments after he left, a man approaches the woman and demands her gas. The woman refuses, he punches her in the face and runs off with the gas. Some people, when discovering what happened, started to chase him, but he got away in an awaiting car. She was hurt and had no gas. There are cops there all the time now. Will Sandy bring out the ugly in people?

I just hope those who are displaced and without power are made whole or as close to it as possible as soon as possible. People have had enough.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey

And, in my area AT&T proves better than Verizon. I also use my iPad 1. I added on Monday the data plan, so I could access the Internet. JCP&L here stinks while PSE&G already have over 50% restored. I charge my iDevices at work and use, if needed, my MacBook to charge my iPhone at home. House also unscathed. My in-laws live in same town with no power. My parents live close, but also no power. My brother lives in Iowa but that's too far to drive since I have to work.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Still no power at my house, but town is showing less outages. I hope LIPA sticks around and gets me up and running.