MacBook Pro I just got my 1st Mac!

Troubleina

Bronze
Mar 5, 2009
Suburban Washington DC
Ive been looking, and drooling over the MBPs for a while, when the new line came out, i did it!

I have a brand new 17 in MBP.

Now a new hurdle, im mac illiterate. I refuse to put windows on my baby. I want to be bilingual (win and mac) and putting windows on her is like wrapping a new born babys bottom in cheese cloth, instead of a diaper IMO.

I'll be the first to admit im a blonde. If anyone wants to give me some tips, ide be very apprecitative!

Im reading macbook for dummies now! Lol

Image has been removed.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Last edited by a moderator:

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
Congrats on the new purchase! that machine is smoking fast and I see you have two critical apps on your desktop, YIM & AIM!

Screen shot command+shift+3
Right click control plus mousepad click
To fully maximize the window the green button doesn't exactly work, download right zoom and everytime you click on your green max button the window will fully expand http://www.usingmac.com/2009/3/23/full-maximize-on-mac

Reactions: MoneyMaker79

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
I found a few applications that were pretty handy. I cleanup/remover program is nice to have. I use TrashMe but there's a ton of them out there that work well. Dropbox for Mac is a great app. You can sync docs (up to 2GB with a free account) with other computers and access them virtually anywhere.

If you're a Windows convert then Office 2011 is great. Outlook seems to work better than (entourage) and it's almost impossible to get away from excel or word docs so that will cover your bases.

Also, I goto cnet.com and check out the downloads for mac. There's a ton of free and pay apps that are handy there. iPhone Explorer is a good one if you like to search for files on your iPhone. Time Machine Editor allows you setup different intervals for backups instead of the standard Time Machine interval.

I'm in the same boat as you... just got my Mac and I'm fumbling around as I go. But I definitely dig it better than my Windows.

I did setup a dual boot to Windows 7 just in case. You never had to see it if you set it to boot to Mac all the time.

Enjoy!

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
Congrats on the new purchase! that machine is smoking fast and I see you have two critical apps on your desktop, YIM & AIM!

Screen shot command+shift+3
Right click control plus mousepad click
To fully maximize the window the green button doesn't exactly work, download right zoom and everytime you click on your green max button the window will fully expand http://www.usingmac.com/2009/3/23/full-maximize-on-mac
Thanks for this information. Right Zoom worked perfectly for me after downloading it.

I do have one question. I have YIM for Mac and my Windows friend cannot view my webcam and it shows them I don't even have a webcam setup. However in Skype for Mac I can see them and they can see me.