I just ordered this bad boy (brushed metal replacement back plate)

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Only $12.99 + $5 shipping from cnn.cn here. It will probably affect reception but I love the way it looks and it's not expensive. Removing the iPhone 4's back plate is apparently very easy as well, so it shouldn't be an issue to install or remove if I need to take my iPhone back for warranty work.

phpThumb_generated_thumbnai.jpg

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Unfortunately, it hasn't arrived yet. Though I ordered it a week ago now, it just shipped today according to an email notice I received earlier. Still looking forward to receiving it though. I think it will look nice enough to tempt my husband to upgrade to an iPhone 4 from his current 3GS.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I don't see how it could affect reception, since the antennae are around the outside of the phone, and the new back is, well, on the back!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Ordered one myself today. It'll definitely prevent usage of all my cases (except the bumper), but the look should be worth it.

Lunfai

Bronze
Sep 16, 2010
Is it supposed to bump up or is that how an actual plate is supposed to be when it's not mounted?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
As a trial run, i just took the back cover off of mine, and it's super easy. You unscrew the two philips head screws around the dock connector, then the cover slides right off. only takes a few seconds, and you don't have to mess around with any of the internals. The tricky part is just having a small enough tool.

seriously, though, i'm never using another case when it's this easy to replace the back.

Last edited by a moderator:

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if customs would seize such a unit. At a minimum, for the trademark voilation and/or as an honest presumption that the entire device is KIRF.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

iArthur

Bronze
Oct 23, 2010
California
I wonder if customs would seize such a unit. At a minimum, for the trademark voilation and/or as an honest presumption that the entire device is KIRF.

I don't think they would, because it's your device you can do what you want with it. Kinda like jailbreaking.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Actually, I just ordered an OEM white back and a white bumper. Should be pretty sweet. That's actually what i wanted when i saw the white iPhone 4 announced - white back, black front.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I don't think they would, because it's your device you can do what you want with it. Kinda like jailbreaking.
Here's a link on 'customs pirated music'. http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007358.html

I think technically if the property contains criminal voilations, it can be seized. Jailbreaking, of course has been ruled legal.

The question then is, whether the jacket is considered 'contained'.

For that matter, at times I do think the officer is just using the excuse. What happens with your phone in your absence, who knows.