I Love the iPad mini

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Its nice to read your thoughts on the Mini, Europa. I used to frequent these forums often and your name is one of the few that seems to stand out.

The Mini marks my re-entrance to iOS after more than a year of Android devices (which was preceded by 4 years of iPhone ownership). I never wanted a full sized iPad because of its sheer size and the impractical price point (impractical in terms of what I was going to use it for). My rooted Kindle Fire and my son's Nexus 7 left a lot to be desired. The Mini is just what I wanted in terms of quality, features, and price.

I don't notice the resolution because I haven't been spoiled by any of the higher resolution devices that have come out recently. I'm not a huge media/games junkie, so the Mini is a perfect fit for me. I also LOVE the form factor. To me, the size is a feature and not a compromise. I think there were a lot of people who balked at the price because they envisioned this as an iPad compromise, meant to compete with the N7 and Kindle Fires. For me, this was a decision between a full size iPad and a Mini iPad.

The only thing killing me right now is lack of a jailbreak. It'll come, I know, it always does.

Anyway, thanks again for the "mini" review (pun intended). It makes me feel more solid in my decision to forego the 4th gen iPad in favor of the Mini.

Reactions: Europa

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I'm another big fan of the mini. I don't think it's fair to say this is a step back overall. It's not the latest retina display, true - but it is every bit as good, perhaps a bit better according to some tests, as the iPad 2's display - which we were all raving about just a year ago.
With all due respect (I really mean this); You just proved the point that the iPad mini IS a step back. The standard for all new "iDevices" is Retina and A6 (until the mini that is. So technically, the mini is a step back. Let me be clear, I am NOT saying the mini is bad or that it won't sell, I may even pick one up, but, I am realistic and can see that for a first gen, Apple was probably looking to dump some old, overstock tech while testing the market for a new size iPad.

Reactions: InyigoMontoya

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
liberated, it's obviously a "step back" from the iPad 3 concering certain specs; a second grader could figure that out. However, processing speed and screen resolution aren't the only things to factor in. I compromised speed and screen resolution for portability, weight, size and ease of use (I found the iPad 3 to be awkward to hold and type on). The mini is better for reading in bed, for facetime (the mini has a higher resolution front facing camera), it's more portable and it's easier to thumb type on.

Do you really think Apple had millions of spare A5s and 7.9 inch non-retina screens just lying around?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
liberated, it's obviously a "step back" from the iPad 3 concering certain specs; a second grader could figure that out. However, processing speed and screen resolution aren't the only things to factor in. I compromised speed and screen resolution for portability, weight, size and ease of use (I found the iPad 3 to be awkward to hold and type on). The mini is better for reading in bed, for facetime (the mini has a higher resolution front facing camera), it's more portable and it's easier to thumb type on.

Do you really think Apple had millions of spare A5s and 7.9 inch non-retina screens just lying around?
Hello Europa, yes, that's what I was trying to say, it is a step back in some areas, a step forward when it comes to size BUT nothing new as many other tablets shrunk long ago. As far as the chip A5, either they had millions laying around OR they are significantly cheaper to produce. Please do not think I am anti Apple, my house and life is built around it (iPhone 5, iMac, Macbook Pro, several ATV2 and 3), I am trying to remain open minded because I do not want to pass a good thing eventually (Possible a windows 8 tablet) because I am blinded by Apple. Does that make sense?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yes, it does make sense. But I think it's just that they are cheaper to buy. The mini is a compromise. The current specs are the only way they could keep the price down and compete with the cheaper tablets.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Europa, wrote: "it's obviously a "step back" from the iPad 3 concering certain specs; second grader could figure that out"

Have you read this thread? some people are just in denial. It IS a step back HARDWARE wise, that is ALL I am saying.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Yes, it does make sense. But I think it's just that they are cheaper to buy. The mini is a compromise. The current specs are the only way they could keep the price down and compete with the cheaper tablets.
Agree 100%

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Europa, wrote: "it's obviously a "step back" from the iPad 3 concering certain specs; second grader could figure that out"

Have you read this thread? some people are just in denial. It IS a step back HARDWARE wise, that is ALL I am saying.
Yes, I've read the thread. I don't think anyone here would deny that an A6 is better than an A5. But it's more complicated than that. There are a lot of things to factor in besides the screen resolution and the processor. I tried to explain the compromise in post #44.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
I just can't understand why Apple would put 2 year-old hardware in a new device..

I honestly think Apple could have put an A6 and a retina in the mini, price it at $329, and still made a decent profit..

The retina would need a larger battery thus making it heavier but by how much?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Yes, I've read the thread. I don't think anyone here would deny that an A6 is better than an A5. But it's more complicated than that. There are a lot of things to factor in besides the screen resolution and the processor. I tried to explain the compromise in post #44.
Yes, I agree, that's why I clarified my original point to only include hardware in my position that is a step back. I do agree that there is more to the equation and when looking at all factors, it is not correct to say it is a step back.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I just can't understand why Apple would put 2 year-old hardware in a new device..

I honestly think Apple could have put an A6 and a retina in the mini, price it at $329, and still made a decent profit..

The A5 isn't broke, so they are not fixing it. The new iPods run an A5 and nobody complains. My iPad 2 is a A5 and it works super fast still.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007

I suspect it was a combination of economics and hardware availability at a massive scale.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
The A5 isn't broke, so they are not fixing it. The new iPods run an A5 and nobody complains. My iPad 2 is a A5 and it works super fast still.

I have a 5th gen iPod Touch that uses the old A5 chip but it has a retina display..

If Apple had thrown me a bone and given me either a retina or an A6 then I would have purchased a mini..

I am going to an Apple store today and play with one.. Maybe my thoughts on it will change after doing so..

When I 1st heard about the mini I knew I'd be one of the 1st to pre-order until I saw the specs. The device is the perfect size but I can't get myself to spend $329 for the hardware that it comes with.

Iloveiphones

Genius
Platinum
Aug 5, 2010
chatsocially.com
I have a 5th gen iPod Touch that uses the old A5 chip but it has a retina display..

If Apple had thrown me a bone and given me either a retina or an A6 then I would have purchased a mini..

I am going to an Apple store today and play with one.. Maybe my thoughts on it will change after doing so..

When I 1st heard about the mini I knew I'd be one of the 1st to pre-order until I saw the specs. The device is the perfect size but I can't get myself to spend $329 for the hardware that it comes with.
Keep in mind, the iPad 3 uses an A5X which is just slightly better then the A5.

nikkisixx102

Android Killer
Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
I own Apple stock because the company has performed well and I bought a very nice low. Owning the stock of a company that is stable, with no debt and flush with cash is not contradiction to my comments. My comments are not a reason to sell a well peforming equity.

I see them being too overly confident that their cult following will continue to accept these backwards steps in tech with new products.

I love some of Apple's product and have no issue admitting when I feel a product is a bit lackluster.

Apple charges a premium, I understand the product is a new design in appearance but the tech components are a step back.

If another company using and old cpu and display in their computer and presenting it as new and amazing. You guys would be killing it.
You are honestly dumb if this is your follow up post to mine. Never did I say owning stock was contradicting lol I said all of your statements were. I told you to sell your stock because you said you had a problem with Apple and that it will be their downfall. I think my advice of selling is spot on in that situation, correct?
I guess we're all drinking the koolaid, right? You better get outta here before you're part of this devilish cult! Ahhhhhhhhh!

Moving on.

I guess I don't know why people came to a "I love" thread just to put bad thoughts in people's minds. The OP said it was awesome and then some people came into the thread to post about old news. We all knew the specs last week, so you're not a genius for bringing them up. This WAS a thread about getting the iPad mini and loving it, not about people who probably haven't even used it to complain about specs.
Get over it. Apparently, most of us care about Apple and enjoy their products. I'm 100% sure you can find a thread that involves a product you own, right?

I understand seeing a thread, reading people's comments, and then objecting, but how would you like it if you bought a brand new Porsche and when you showed it to someone, all they talked about is how many more horsepower their Mustang has? That would piss me off and I would probably punch them in their face to knock the ignorance out of them. Trust me, the operating system that this A5 runs is much better than anything I've tried at best buy. The design of the mini, I would say, is like buying a Porsche Boxter. You can buy the Carrera if speed and size is your concern. They're both beautiful.
sy4eputa.jpg

He likes it too! Plays "game for cats" all the time :p

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

I still disagree. Hardware wise doesn't mean processor and display only. The iPad mini is more than 50% lighter than any other iPad and still offers an overall display that's 35% bigger than any 7 inch tablet. For me, and for many users, that is a HUGE step forward and a big selling point. I know lots of iPad users in real life and online who always say the one thing they'd change about it is the weight.

One more thing on this subject: when has Apple ever competed with Android on specs? Never. The iPhone has never been about having a faster processor, more RAM etc. and neither has the iPad. There have been many tablets released since 2010 with certain specs that are better than the iPad, and they've come and gone and hardly even been noticed.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I still disagree. Hardware wise doesn't mean processor and display only. The iPad mini is more than 50% lighter than any other iPad and still offers an overall display that's 35% bigger than any 7 inch tablet. For me, and for many users, that is a HUGE step forward and a big selling point. I know lots of iPad users in real life and online who always say the one thing they'd change about it is the weight.

One more thing on this subject: when has Apple ever competed with Android on specs? Never. The iPhone has never been about having a faster processor, more RAM etc. and neither has the iPad. There have been many tablets released since 2010 with certain specs that are better than the iPad, and they've come and gone and hardly even been noticed.
I still think that iPad mini is a step back (Hardware wise) when compared to other APLLE devices. As far as Android devices, they left Apple behind long ago when it comes to raw power and features, Android however, have not been able to match Apple's build quality, app ecosystem and cult following.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I still think that iPad mini is a step back (Hardware wise) when compared to other APLLE devices. As far as Android devices, they left Apple behind long ago when it comes to raw power and features, Android however, have not been able to match Apple's build quality, app ecosystem and cult following.
Maybe we'll just agree to disagree here then. Or perhaps agree that the iPad mini is a step sideways. A worse display than the top of the line iPad and a slower processor - but a form factor and weight that many existing and new iPad users will find more than compensates for those drawbacks.

Oh, and one thing we might be able to agree on - when Apple does upgrade the mini with a faster processor and retina (or whatever is next after retina) display it will be a damn near irresistible device.

raqball

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 30, 2011
So. California
You are honestly dumb if this is your follow up post to mine. Never did I say owning stock was contradicting lol I said all of your statements were. I told you to sell your stock because you said you had a problem with Apple and that it will be their downfall. I think my advice of selling is spot on in that situation, correct?
I guess we're all drinking the koolaid, right? You better get outta here before you're part of this devilish cult! Ahhhhhhhhh!
No need to call someone names.. We all have opinions and many differ but can't we be civil when we disagree?

Moving on.

I guess I don't know why people came to a "I love" thread just to put bad thoughts in people's minds. The OP said it was awesome and then some people came into the thread to post about old news. We all knew the specs last week, so you're not a genius for bringing them up. This WAS a thread about getting the iPad mini and loving it, not about people who probably haven't even used it to complain about specs.
Get over it. Apparently, most of us care about Apple and enjoy their products. I'm 100% sure you can find a thread that involves a product you own, right?

I understand seeing a thread, reading people's comments, and then objecting, but how would you like it if you bought a brand new Porsche and when you showed it to someone, all they talked about is how many more horsepower their Mustang has? That would piss me off and I would probably punch them in their face to knock the ignorance out of them. Trust me, the operating system that this A5 runs is much better than anything I've tried at best buy. The design of the mini, I would say, is like buying a Porsche Boxter. You can buy the Carrera if speed and size is your concern. They're both beautiful.

He likes it too! Plays "game for cats" all the time :p
I commented here because I want to love, hold, and be best friends with the mini. For me it is the perfect size! I am however disappointed in Apple hardware decisions concerning the mini..

The OP of this thread is highly knowledgeable and trusted so if she says it rocks, I take her word for it which is why I am going to the Apple store today to fondle one..

It's a discussion forum where people can converse over the subject.. I like altering opinions even if I do not agree with them as it give me something to think about..

One other thing to keep in mind is that we all use these devices differently. What rocks for one person may be a disadvantage to another.

My .02

Android has never and may never catch Apple in the Tablet market. The lag on Android tablets is absolutely horrid! The Nexus 7 with Jelly Bean is the closest yet to a smooth UI but the quality of the Nexus 7 is horrid!

As far as phones go, have you seen the benchmarks on the iPhone 5? WOW!