I predict the next iPhone will be called...

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
So which is it? Was the iPhone 4 the fourth iPhone or not?
I edited my post. You were right, it is the 4th. But 3G is the second. It's not called a "2". The 4s is the 5th...but it's not called a 5. My whole point. The next one will be called a 5 even tho its technically the sixth phone.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The 3G was the second, do why didn't they call it 2g? I know why...let's see if you do. The 3GS was the 3rd and the 4 was the 4th. 4s is number 5....but they didn't call it 5. Hmmmmm
They didn't call it the 2G, they called it "iPhone." That's it, just iPhone. iPhone users started calling it the 2G after the 3G came out because we needed to differentiate it somehow. 2G and 3G are network names, not model names. The iPhone 4 was the first iPhone to be named after a model number. If they do decide to go with a model name, they should call it the iPhone 6 - because it will be the sixth iPhone.

Reactions: Leo

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I edited my post. You were right, it is the 4th. But 3GS is the second. It's not called a "2". The 4s is the 5th...but it's not called a 5. My whole point. The next one will be called a 5 even tho its technically the sixth phone.
3GS was 2, huh?

Get your facts straight before you start making assertions.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I edited my post. You were right, it is the 4th. But 3GS is the second. It's not called a "2". The 4s is the 5th...but it's not called a 5. My whole point. The next one will be called a 5 even tho its technically the sixth phone.
The 3GS was the third iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The bottom line is you 5'ers just like how 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 sounds. There is no evidence to suggest that the next iPhone will be "5". There is, however, evidence to show that Apple might call the next iPhone "6", because they have (albeit only once) named an iPhone after its iteration. And next years' iPhone iteration will be 6.

I'd bet the next iPhone would be "LTE" before "5", but even that seems unlikely to me.

Reactions: Europa

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Not really. It's like telling your kid it's his fifth birthday when it's actually his sixth birthday.
Not really a great example if you actually take a moment to think about it. Hint, his/her first birthday is different from his/her first year birthday.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ltzguy

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Like I said, iPhone 5 makes no sense anymore, since the 4S is the 5th iteration. I predict either an iPhone LTE, or an iPhone 6. Of course if Microsoft owned the rights to iPhone, it would definitely be called iPhone 5, because look at their latest Windows version; Windows version 6.1 was dubiously named Windows 7.

Ltzguy

Zealot
Gold
Jun 22, 2010
Right here
Not really a great example if you actually take a moment to think about it. Hint, his/her first birthday is different from his/her first year birthday.

exactly. I'm not really wanting to argue this (or maybe I do?lol) but I have no doubt whatsoever that the next phone will be ip5.

Reactions: iP5

Rugaby

Genius
Gold
Feb 18, 2011
Washington state
Does any of this even matter? What if there isn't another iPhone? What if the world ends on December 21st this year and the Mayans were just off by a year?

IllusionEntity

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 3, 2010
Borough Green, Kent, UK
Uh, the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone. iPhone, 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S.

I'm sure the next iPhone will be the iPhone 5 just because it is the next version step if they continue to use numbers. I don't think Apple would use "LTE" as a name, it just doesn't sound clean enough.

I think the iPhone name may be dropped all together at some point, but in the next gen iPhone? Probably not.
Drop the iPhone branding? Yeah.. ok.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Like I said, iPhone 5 makes no sense anymore, since the 4S is the 5th iteration. I predict either an iPhone LTE, or an iPhone 6. Of course if Microsoft owned the rights to iPhone, it would definitely be called iPhone 5, because look at their latest Windows version; Windows version 6.1 was dubiously named Windows 7.
3.1/3.11
XP
Vista
7 very similar visually to 6 hence internal 6.1 reference