I predict the next iPhone will be called...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Omg. My bad, one out of five iPhones was named after a number. Even so, going with that logic. 3-4-6? It just numerically doesn't flow.
I hope Apple will be more concerned with making sure they use the correct generation number if they do give the next iPhone a generation name (iPhone 4 was a generation name) than skipping a number.

Locutus

Bronze
Aug 22, 2010
Wow, this thread is hilarious. The 4S just came out and arguments about the next iPhone have started up.

I guess I'll join the discussion by saying that IF Apple decides to continue using numbers in it's naming convention, I'd say the the next iPhone will be designated 5 for fifth generation (though it doesn't actually count as 5th gen) according to their current naming convention for the device.
This is supported by the fact that even though MANY people were convinced that Apple would call the current version the 5 because it was the 5th iPhone, Apple decided to continue with their established naming convention and called it the 4S.

The other option would be for them to get away from numeric designations altogether. At which point speculation would completely pointless.

Honestly, though, there is no way to know, but I understand the need for many of you to speculate, so carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

phonejunkie30

Bronze
Jul 22, 2009
Grand Prairie Tx
Wow, this thread is hilarious. The 4S just came out and arguments about the next iPhone have started up.

I guess I'll join the discussion by saying that IF Apple decides to continue using numbers in it's naming convention, I'd say the the next iPhone will be designated 5 for fifth generation (though it doesn't actually count as 5th gen) according to their current naming convention for the device.
This is supported by the fact that even though MANY people were convinced that Apple would call the current version the 5 because it was the 5th iPhone, Apple decided to continue with their established naming convention and called it the 4S.

The other option would be for them to get away from numeric designations altogether. At which point speculation would completely pointless.

Honestly, though, there is no way to know, but I understand the need for many of you to speculate, so carry on.

Exactly which is why I think they will go with the iPhone S. wait and see it makes total sense.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
iPhone S would be even more confusing. If they just name every iPhone "S" it would lose its meaning.

So is this iPhone "S"-ier than the last one? How much more "S" is it exactly? Boy, I can't wait to see how "S" the next one is.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
iPhone S would be even more confusing. If they just name every iPhone "S" it would lose its meaning.

So is this iPhone "S"-ier than the last one? How much more "S" is it exactly? Boy, I can't wait to see how "S" the next one is.
But if it happens and of course the context would coincide with a ton of touchy feely marketing, would you change your tune to how it's perfect again. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If Apple was going to ride the coattails of Steve's passing with marketing, don't you think they would have done so already? It's nonsense.

Changing my tune to how it's perfect again? When have I ever claimed this would be "perfect"?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Until it's release it was assumed that the 4S was Steve's baby and now there seems to be consensus that the 6th release will be his. I think it's completely in keeping with Steve's and Apple's methodologies to leverage such opportunities.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, I've made my jabs at this whole debate, but I will state that I really hope they don't do some commemorative edition thing. That would be so hokey and tasteless. The iPhone doesn't need that and neither does Steve.

Reactions: RoofMonkey

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Like the rumor mill prior to the latest release, Apple can maintain a degree of separation from the hokey and yet somehow reap the benefits.

irainbow_chic

Bronze
Oct 5, 2011
Ok, I've made my jabs at this whole debate, but I will state that I really hope they don't do some commemorative edition thing. That would be so hokey and tasteless. The iPhone doesn't need that and neither does Steve.
I was letting this thread die, but I totally agree.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I hope and pray they will drop the model number madness so we stop getting threads like this one.

It's as useless as trying to figure out or rationalize Microsoft's naming conventions.

Hey, at least it's not going to be Apple iPhone 6 Series.