iDFX software

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Anyone ever try this? It is a plugin for iTunes that enhances file quality and applies equal volume output. I know this has been available as a plugin for pc based music players for a long time. Price is steep at $40. I know I know...many won't even consider buying it at that price....before ya even say it lol. What truly interests me is the volume leveling aspect. Any alternate apps that can apply this all at one click? Trial version is available.

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
Equal volume output? I have no clue what that is. Is this app for Macs or iPhones? I ask because I have iTunes on my Mac and the stock iTunes app on my phone as well.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
It is for Windows, desktop software to work in conjunction with iTunes. Equal volume means song will be normalized to same volume output in your player/iPhone. No more loud vs soft tracks.

titchener

Oct 22, 2009
Hi, I want to make sure to clearly identify myself, I'm Paul Titchener, the developer of the audio processing in the iDFX product.

To answer your questions, iDFX does a nice job of setting all your songs to the same standard volume level, so no more too quiet songs or blasted ears from too loud songs. It does a couple of other useful things also, it improves the overall audio quality and also processes the audio to allow much louder playback without distortion. This means with an iPod speaker dock you get much louder usable output before hearing the audio break up.

We had to put the full retail price in the press release, the actual "street price" is $29.95. The trial version you can get at:

http://www.fxsound.com/mp3-accessories/ipod-accessories-download.html

lets you fully process a set of songs, be sure to load them on your ipod along with the originals so you can compare.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'll check back in a day or two.

Paul Titchener

titchener

Oct 22, 2009
I'd love to try this but I'm on a Mac. :(
Well Mickey, iDFX is doing pretty well so likely we'll be doing a Mac version in a little while. After all, we have to take care of the people that funded the development of the great iPod product line.

Paul Titchener

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Worked with the trial version this morning. I have tried audio enhancers such as mp3 gain in the past with not too impressive results. So far the results are very nice and with no distortion. I have been trying to group my playlists with songs of similar volume so I wouldn't be annoyed but this definitely changes the game. I like how you keep a copy of your original song as well in case you want them back for some reason. At least the trial version leaves both copies?

titchener

Oct 22, 2009
BrownGem, thanks for the feedback. As iDFX is new, you'll see a lot of new features coming into it over time as we get feedback and requests from users.

Regarding backups, we got requests from users to automatically backup the original copies of their songs when we do a full library enhancement, so we already came out with a 1.1 version of the product that includes this backup capability, and existing customers can download this new version for no charge.

Thanks,

Paul Titchener

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I bought the program and let it enhance my entire library. Wellllllll....I noticed some songs had skips...I don't know if this is many files or a few. Still need to listen to figure this out. Some of the tracks sounded worse. Expected since it was stated on your site the bad rips would sound bad and good rips would sound great. I try to have high quality mp3's so I don't think this is much of an issue. Still need more listening to determine how many tracks got "muddied". The enhancement erases ALL of the playlists, but leaves the library intact so the playlists have to be re-done. MAJOR and unexpected pain. A user with a very large library would perhaps do this in segments and not the entire library. I only had 800 or so files which was still a significant investment in time to rebuild my lists. I think the documentation should mention this so you will know what to expect. I think a box should pop up with the caveats ie bad rips and playlist deletion/rebuild, when you select to enhance entire library.
I will post more as I check things out. My immediate thoughts are to avoid doing the entire library and do it in segments so you can evaluate the effects.

titchener

Oct 22, 2009
BrownGem-

I'm sorry that you've had a few problems, we would definitely like to work with you to get all those resolved.

Any kind of "skips" in the audio definitely shouldn't be happening, we haven't seen anything like that either in our testing here or in the field, so we would definitely like to get those resolved.

Its also our goal to make sure that the sound on all tracks is always improved, so I'd like to find out which tracks don't sound good to you.

Also we would like to look closely at the playlist issue to see why yours were not kept valid.

If its ok with you, it probably would be easiest to contact you directly to resolve these issues, if that's ok please send me an email at:

pt AT fxsound DOT com

Also because of these unexpected problems that occurred we're going to give you lifetime free software upgrades for iDFX, which is a pretty good bonus as we plan a lot of enhancements and new features over the coming years.

Thanks,

Paul Titchener
www.fxsound.com

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
WOW. Appreciate the fast response. Thank you so much for your attention and attempts at making your software the best. So..my playlists were not supposed to disappear?..hmm
I will send you an email for further discussion.
Thanks.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
After further review of the results I must correct the skipping tracks issue. Turns out those tracks were not good rips and after comparison it was not the programs enhancement that caused the problems. I have listened to several songs and the results are very good. Having all tracks equalized for volume is the best thing since sliced bread. Mr Titchener has been totally responsive in addressing the playlist issue. Excellent customer service! I know he will post updates to this issue for those interested in trying this out. I definitely give the program a thumbs up.

titchener

Oct 22, 2009
BrownGem, thanks a lot for sending me the tracks, its always really helpful to be able to hear exactly what a customer is hearing.

Regarding the tracks with skipping, in the track you sent the skipping was in the original track also. This was likely due to a bad rip. Often bad rips are caused by dirt or spots stuck on the CD, often these can be fixed with a gentle wash in warm water with a little dish soap, just rinse it really well and then dry the CD carefuly with a really soft cloth (old t-shirts work well).

You can avoid bad rips by turning on the "Use Error Correction" option in iTunes, in the menu:

Edit->Preferences->General->Import Settings->Use Error Correction

This does slow the ripping process down a little but it will keep you from getting bad rips.

Sometimes a bad rip is caused by scratches on the CD. If these aren't too bad they can be polished out, if you have scratches on some CD's, let me know and I can send you more information about that.

The track you sent me to check the enhancement on sounded pretty good to me in comparison to the original, so I'm going to send you back a version of that track that directly switches the enhancement on and off to make it easy to compare, let me know what you think after hearing that direct comparison.

Thanks,

Paul Titchener

titchener

Oct 22, 2009
Napolean, we haven't tested that combination, but I would suspect it would probably work. If you have a virtual Windows program setup, I'd give the iDFX demo version a try and if that works its likely the full version would work also. If the full version didn't function for some reason we would definitely give you a refund.

Paul Titchener

Lannya

Nov 26, 2021
Hey! DevOps is currently consulting and implementing implementation services. They work with both enterprises relying on cloud service providers and their own platforms to help them accelerate delivery cycles, reduce human error, and create a secure, scalable, and maintainable IT infrastructure. I find it very convenient. To hire them, click on this site website, I've read a lot of positive comments about this company, and I think this should help you. They also help develop software skills.