If You Couldn't Have An iPhone, What Phone Would You Get

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I would definitely have the phone off the Matrix 2 where you sort of squeeze it and the speaker/earpiece pops out!

It's cool as Fu*k

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Im surprised im the only one to say the HTC touch Diamond. Although never had any hands on time with it. Either that or the BB storm

Tug

Silver
Aug 4, 2008
I have a BB Storm with Verizon, and after a few months of use, it just annoys me to use it.

But, if not an iPhone, I think the Bold is first choice, then the Palm Pre.
I have the Storm and love it the only problem is the touch screen is more like a "push screen" and after sending no less than 6000 text messages in a month my flippin thumb is starting to hurt. It's gotten to the point that I'm afraid I'm going to have to take it back and get something different. From what I understand RIM is coming out with a new software upgrade that supposed to fix allot of the problems the Storm is having, time will tell.

Probably the Pre if it wasn't on Sprint. But since im still a kid with no money or job, I have to stay with AT&T so I would probably get The HTC Fuze (aka HTC Touch Pro)
I saw the HTC Fuze at a Verizon store in Topeka Kansas the other day, nice phone but expensive. If I don't stop having issues with my Storm Im seriously thinking about getting one

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I swap between the Bold and the iPhone now. If I were only allowed one choice outside of the iPhone, it would be the Palm Pre. It's the most iphone-esque of the devices. To me, it's the middle of the road between the Bold and the iPhone. Meant to do a blog post about that, but haven't found the time. The Bold's email rocks, but the browser and apps for Twitter are not in the same class as the iPhone or the Pre. (for the record, I haven't seen the Pre Twitter app, but I expect big things).

Last edited:

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
If I could get my hands on an unlocked HTC Magic, I'd get one of those, but I'd be seriously pissed about having to use Google apps to sync all of my PIM data instead of a direct connection to my Mac.

Otherwise, I'd go for a Nokia N97 as well, or maybe an N86. I could suffer through a Storm as well if I had to. I'd go for a GSM Pre with a definite way to sync it to my Mac.

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
Hands down... I would go back to my BlackBerry. BB smokes the iPhone in corporate push email support. iPhone smokes BB in everything else.

It was a tough decision to shut off my corporate push email and switch to my iPhone... but I am glad that I did.

/Jim
Does your company's exchange server support activesync? I just migrated my work email from my Verizon BB 8830 to the iPhone and its syncs my mail and calendars perfectly. When I was running them in tandem, the mail got to my iPhone about a second faster than the BB. The best thing is that I only have to carry one device now.

~S

JimP

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Does your company's exchange server support activesync? I just migrated my work email from my Verizon BB 8830 to the iPhone and its syncs my mail and calendars perfectly. When I was running them in tandem, the mail got to my iPhone about a second faster than the BB. The best thing is that I only have to carry one device now.

~S
We do have activesync... and we also have an iPhone trial. However, my corporate IT department felt that the security of the iPhone itself is not sufficient. I actually agree with them (considering 25000 applications... plus JB).

I suspect that they will eventually support the iPhone when more security is built in... but If they locked down the functions of the iPhone (like they do for BB)... then I still would not want the corporate push email. Instead I use my laptop which is almost always within reach anyway.

I now have just a single device (iPhone)... because I will only carry one device, and I decided that my corporate push email was less of a benefit than everything the iPhone does for me... so I disconnected my BB. It is a very close call... but the iPhone won.

/Jim

diverdown

Contributor
Silver
Sep 12, 2007
NYC
We do have activesync... and we also have an iPhone trial. However, my corporate IT department felt that the security of the iPhone itself is not sufficient. I actually agree with them (considering 25000 applications... plus JB).

I suspect that they will eventually support the iPhone when more security is built in... but If they locked down the functions of the iPhone (like they do for BB)... then I still would not want the corporate push email. Instead I use my laptop which is almost always within reach anyway.

I now have just a single device (iPhone)... because I will only carry one device, and I decided that my corporate push email was less of a benefit than everything the iPhone does for me... so I disconnected my BB. It is a very close call... but the iPhone won.

/Jim

Forgot about the lock down and your right, with that level of security it would not be worth it. I work for a really small company so that level of security is not a factor.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Some powerful ones coming later this year:
Toshiba TG01 with 4" WVGA and 1GHz cpu - https://www.toshiba-europe.com/mobilerevolution/default.aspx
The Toshiba looks really nice. I would look for....large screen with good clarity, ability to load and edit docs, good call quality. Whatever phone could meet those specs would be a winner for me. The iPhone screen has definitely raised the bar on whatever phone I would choose.

chris_6750

Mar 26, 2009
Malaysia
Right now I'm using N96 but gonna buy iPhone 3G 16gb when I had save enough money. hehehe

Right now gonna download all the MUST HAVE applications, games & others.