Import DVDs?

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
I have searched iTunes help and this forum. Am I correct in assuming that iTunes does not allow the importation of DVDs? Thanks for any assistance.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You have to rip and convert them first. They have all-in-one paid versions of software to do this. If you're looking for a free option, you can rip them with DVD Decryptor (or Mactheripper or Ripit on Mac) and then convert to .mp4 with HandBrake.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I haven't done it in a while, but I think I did it all with Handbrake. I did not have to rip or convert them separately.
You can do it all with HandBrake, but acosmichippo was explaining in another that that it's more efficient and reliable if you split it up so HandBrake doesn't have to do all the work.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
If you're just doing one or two older DVDs, you probably don't need to mess with ripping and then converting.

But if you plan on ripping a large number of DVDs or ripping new DVDs (that might have copy protection), you'll be better off ripping and then converting. For example, you can rip a bunch of DVDs to your hard drive (which is pretty quick), and then you can make a queue in handbrake to encode all the rips overnight. It is an extra step, but allows the process to be a little more efficient. You will also have less bugs with handbrake getting confused by various copy protection schemes.