iOS 3.2.1 Now Available

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The fools should just hurry up with 4.0, whats up with that, I mean their phone can multitask but their Internet slab thing can't?

I'll update to 3.2.1 when a jailbreak comes out, don't fancy losing that :p
I feel the same, I'm becoming a little impatient with this FW, it would be nice to have some of the iOS4 features, but not all of them. I'm quite happy using Backgrounder for multitasking, it's better than the iOS4 multitasker.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
So I started running the upgrade to 3.2.1 at around 9:00 AM, and as part of the process, iTunes automatically backed up my iPad.

It's now 3:45 PM and the progress bar shows the backup is only 1/2 done. Granted, I'm using all but about 3.7 GB of the device's capacity, so I guess there's a lot of stuff to backup, but is anyone else seeing long cycles like this? 7+ hours seems way too long, but I'm not going to interrupt it at this point.

iPhoneuser666

Silver
Jun 13, 2010
So I started running the upgrade to 3.2.1 at around 9:00 AM, and as part of the process, iTunes automatically backed up my iPad.

It's now 3:45 PM and the progress bar shows the backup is only 1/2 done. Granted, I'm using all but about 3.7 GB of the device's capacity, so I guess there's a lot of stuff to backup, but is anyone else seeing long cycles like this? 7+ hours seems way too long, but I'm not going to interrupt it at this point.
My machine was doing the same thing. It got locked up in the backup process for sure, so I cancelled the backup...and it locked up again. So I tried to start Windows Task Manager....twice...and both times it failed. So I had to do a hard reboot.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
I feel the same, I'm becoming a little impatient with this FW, it would be nice to have some if the iOS4 features, but not all of them. I'm quite happy using Backgrounder for multitasking, it's better than the iOS4 multitasker.
All true, but it would still be nice to see them in the official FW since their own mobile phone does them, I would say the iOS 4 multitasker's different but not necessarily not as good, its certainly a much smaller resource drain.

kevharde

Bronze
Mar 10, 2010
Roseville, CA
kevinh01.blogspot.com
My brother was just suggesting ubuntu....I have high doubts and I know it would only be a mere time filler until I can upgrade....it is a free software. But looks cheap compared to Mac OS X.
Ubuntu is a very robust os, but being linux, its not easily compatible with all hardware and software. That said, it has access to a lot of packages to download after unpacking the main os. It's very windowesque w/o the hassles. Runs faster as well. One thing to remember...if you load Ubuntu, you probably wont ever re-format that hdd to anything else.

jimmy_hat

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
UK
I used ubuntu for a while, could never get on with it. I missed the mainstream software support you get with a Mac or Windoze machine. Was quick though.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
As I posted before, I started my update right around 9:00 AM and it just now finished the backup portion at 7:05 PM.

The actual firmware installation literally took 5 minutes once the backup was complete, but it certainly seems as if 10 hours is a bit long for the backup. I remember one of my previous iPhones having a similar issue with extremely long backups. Anyone else seeing this, and is there anything I can do to speed it up next time?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I don’t know why you people think your b/g and icons look sharper, unless it’s just your mind playing tricks on you. My wife and I both have iPads and I just did a comparison between the two. I upgraded mine last night, hers is still running the original 3.2.

At full brightness, Auto brightness is off, same stock background (mountains w/lake in front, stars streaking in sky), I didn’t see any difference in sharpness to the icons or the background. I did however, see that my upgraded one has a very slightly yellower cast to the overall image where hers is more white and crisp looking. I don’t know if it was like that before the upgrade but I suspect that it was.

I don’t know if taking a screen shot will show clarity difference but I can tell you that looking at the iPads side by side, there is no difference. I went ahead and made 2 screen shots for comparison. The one on the LEFT is the NON upgraded iPad still running OS 3.2. The one on the RIGHT is the one running 3.2.1. There is no difference in clarity of the icons but if you look closely at the full size image (click on the image to bring up the full size version), you can see a slight yellow cast to the upgraded side:

dsa1971

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
My backup is taking forever as well. I have not backed up my iPad before this so that might be why. Hopefully the next time I backup it will not take so long.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I am going to go knock on wood after I write this but I updated last night and today I have not been asked for my wifi password once! My iPad has Internet every single time I've used it today and it stays on! WOOT! I know I sound excited but it was the biggest pain ever to have to put in my wifi password every 5 minutes. I've been waiting for this for 3 months. Now this is more like it! :D

azsprty

Jun 10, 2009
Valley of the Sun
Well I goofed. Forgot my ipad was Jb (was so used to it) and I went ahead with the update and of course I lost my JB:mad: I am now downloading a downgrade and hoping I can get my JB back tonight

dsa1971

Bronze
Jun 15, 2010
For me the slowness of the backup was because I had never backed up my iPad before. I went to sync and the backup was quick

Mickeylittle

Zealot
Gold
Jan 16, 2009
Mississippi
As I posted before, I started my update right around 9:00 AM and it just now finished the backup portion at 7:05 PM.

The actual firmware installation literally took 5 minutes once the backup was complete, but it certainly seems as if 10 hours is a bit long for the backup. I remember one of my previous iPhones having a similar issue with extremely long backups. Anyone else seeing this, and is there anything I can do to speed it up next time?
My wife's backup time was 8-10 long as well so I just deleted all the backups she had in iTunes for her iPad and created a new one by syncing. It took a little while to complete but ever since it flys! Her problem was that she had a corrupt backup file which usually occurs when one halts a backup in progress. She denies doing that but I know better! ;-)