iOS 7 Jailbreak Released - Official

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
Same here, I still don't understand why the BiteSMS features aren't a standard factory setting. Can't stand having to leave an app to respond to a text message.
They responded to me saying that they just woke up, earlier. They were not aware of the jailbreak being released, as we weren't either. This whole situation is crazy, but I hope it gets resolved soon. For now though, I am going back to stock. :)

{StatuSChecKa}

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2010
NorCal
This new jailbreak was way unexpected for me. I have not been following twitter so I did get any hints that this was coming.
I'm digging iOS7 and don't have any complaints. Plus I been hearing this Jailbreak may have some security flaws. I will for wait 30 more days or till 7.1 is jailbroken and working, whichever comes first. I want the jailbreak apps to be iOS7 ready and looking great.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Unfortunately, Apple will likely patch the exploits before 7.1, and as a result the 7.1 jailbreak could take a long time. Too bad they didn't save this jailbreak for 7.1, which was likely the original plan before they got spooked. I'm certainly not saying they should always wait for the next big firmware - it's just that 7.0.4 is still pretty unstable for a lot of people and 7.1 is right around the corner.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
That's a hard choice to make though. There will always be another firmware around the corner which will be better than the previous version. The devs have a tough time as it is making these tools and getting to the end-user i.e me and you guys.

7.0.4 has ran beautifully on my iPhone 5. It's the first firmware for a long time which I haven't had a problem with.

My only complaint about this whole situation is the fact that Saurik wasn't given time to update Cydia and more importantly Mobilesubstrate. It's a bit of a tease having a jailbreak but not being able to do anything with it. Yet.

On a lighter note it's nice to know that jailbreaking isn't dead, there's a huge demand for it!

Sent using iCafe app

Last edited:

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
My only complaint about this whole situation is the fact that Saurik wasn't given time to update Cydia and more importantly Mobilesubstrate. It's a bit of a tease having a jailbreak but not being able to do anything with it. Yet.

On a lighter note it's nice to know that jailbreaking isn't dead, there's a huge demand for it!

Sent using iCafe app
Yeah. I have Cydia staring back at me from my 64-bit iPhone 5s and nothing works.

I think jailbreaking may be on the way out. Once the devs started looking for sponsors to pay them, that probably sounded the death knell for jailbreaking. There are too many hard feelings now, not to mention a couple of devs that have quit because of this fiasco.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That's a hard choice to make though. There will always be another firmware around the corner which will be better than the previous version. The devs have a tough time as it is making these tools and getting to the end-user I.e me and you guys.

7.0.4 has ran beautifully on my iPhone 5. It's the first firmware for a long time which I haven't had a problem with.

I definitely did not mean they should always wait. If that was the case we would never get jailbreaks and we would never update our phones since something better was certain. It's just that 7.1 will be out very soon, 7.0.4 is buggy (it's the buggiest stock firmwarm I've ever ran) and this jailbreak clearly was not ready.

Last edited by a moderator:

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I knew what you meant, I was just looking at it from another angle. One things for certain a lot of credibilty has been lost from a few highly respected members. It's a shame. Why can't they all work together, the community we all love would blossom.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Okay, Rodney. :D

Seriously, though, I love and appreciate the dev team's efforts, but the compulsion to be "first" is damaging the overall jailbreak world. Now that they're going after paid sponsorships, this will get worse.
Ha!

Completely agree, it's playground behaviour. Don't get me wrong I fully understand that these guys want some form of financial benefit from hours and hours of work. But. They've gone about it the wrong way. Approaching Saurik with a working, fully tested jailbreak for development use should have been an imperitive move.

I sound ungrateful, don't I?

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Ha!

Completely agree, it's playground behaviour. Don't get me wrong I fully understand that these guys want some form of financial benefit from hours and hours of work. But. They've gone about it the wrong way. Approaching Saurik with a working, fully tested jailbreak for development use should have been an imperitive move.

I sound ungrateful, don't I?
I agree with the bulk of your post, not that you sound ungrateful. :)

BTW, evasi0n7 apparently works on the first two 7.1 betas, but what's the point? Apple will probably patch the exploit(s) now that they have evasi0n7.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Okay, Rodney. :D

Seriously, though, I love and appreciate the dev team's efforts, but the compulsion to be "first" is damaging the overall jailbreak world. Now that they're going after paid sponsorships, this will get worse.
There always seems to be some level of discord within the jailbreak community. I haven't followed the drama, but seems to be plenty of it over the years. I agree, money exchanging hands seems to muddy the waters a bit. Plus, all this talk of piracy. Not exactly the news Apple wanted on the day their China partnership was announced.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
There always seems to be some level of discord within the jailbreak community. I haven't followed the drama, but seems to be plenty of it over the years. I agree, money exchanging hands seems to muddy the waters a bit. Plus, all this talk of piracy. Not exactly the news Apple wanted on the day their China partnership was announced.
Agreed. And not good publicity for the jailbreak community.

Reactions: Leo
So, just to be clear, if Apple patches the exploits in the 7.1 release, will they still allow customers to install 7.0x (will they continue to sign that release) after the 7.1 release?

This is important for users currently running 6.x JB that are waiting for things to settle down. They don't want to upgrade now, but are concerned that they might miss a window of opportunity.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
So, just to be clear, if Apple patches the exploits in the 7.1 release, will they still allow customers to install 7.0x (will they continue to sign that release) after the 7.1 release?

This is important for users currently running 6.x JB that are waiting for things to settle down. They don't want to upgrade now, but are concerned that they might miss a window of opportunity.
I'm sure Apple will close the signing window for 7.x.x a few hours after 7.1 is released. They want as many people on the same page as possible.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

Apple hasn't allowed that for a few years. The SHSHs got us by for the first couple years, but those haven't worked for over a year now. You'll have a few hours to install it, but you'll still be in the same vulnerable position we've been in since last year - if you have to restore your jailbreakability will be gone. There is a partial restore process that might work, but not if you didn't prepare for it and if you get stuck at the boot logo. I was cautious with my jailbreak last year, did a lot more research and only installed what I really needed since I didn't want to lose jailbreakability.