iOS 8.4 Jailbreak Released

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
They were backups of my 5s and Plus from jailbreaking a couple nights ago.
Just curious why you didn't just update instead of restoring and then restoring your backup? Is that part of the instructions of this jailbreak, to restore to factory first? Sorry, I'm a little behind the curve here.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just curious why you didn't just update instead of restoring and then restoring your backup? Is that part of the instructions of this jailbreak, to restore to factory first? Sorry, I'm a little behind the curve here.
Updating a jailbroken device without restoring increases the odds of update errors in iTunes. I've done it before without problems, but it's recommended to restore. Optimally, you will make a backup that has no jailbreak tweaks enabled, then restore to factory settings, jailbreak on the clean install and then apply the backup. Jailbreaking on clean install increases the odds of the jailbreak process being fast, smooth and successful.

Reactions: Kadelic

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
Jailbroke two days back on 8.3. Would like to enjoy this firmware and will update to 8.4 after a month. May be by then most of the tweaks might havr come out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MoneyMaker79

Genius
Gold
Dec 15, 2008
Florida
Jailbroke two days back on 8.3. Would like to enjoy this firmware and will update to 8.4 after a month. May be by then most of the tweaks might havr come out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
According to a known YouTuber, most should still work. Not all though. F.lux will need updated. 99% of mine still work.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Getting the Apple Driver hasn't been found error on 2 PCs with Windows 7. One with the updated iTunes 12.2, and the other with 12.1.2. Eh. I'll wait for a TAiG update or something.

I have Find My iPhone and passcode disabled on the phone too.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Getting the Apple Driver hasn't been found error on 2 PCs with Windows 7. One with the updated iTunes 12.2, and the other with 12.1.2. Eh. I'll wait for a TAiG update or something.

I have Find My iPhone and passcode disabled on the phone too.
Reinstall iTunes using the 64 bit version of 12.1.2 from this link.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Went for that on my desktop after uninstalling 12.2. 12.1.2 wouldn't even start because the library was created with a newer version. I could totally uninstall iTunes with Revo Uninstaller but I don't want to lose all my playlists.

Couldn't get past the TAiG error even on my laptop with 12.1.2.

I'll just wait and try later. TY Europa. :)

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Is the JB stable now? I have an IP5 on 8.1 (Pangu JB), and I just go an unlock, but for this to work, I was told I would have to factory reset my IP5! I am about to leave on vacation on Friday, and I'm wondering if everything for this JB is ready for 8.4 (at least basic functionality, like Mobile Substrate, and then I could check on for each tweak). Should I perhaps be better off waiting two more weeks? I'm torn between trying now and waiting, but by waiting, Apple might close the JB....

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is the JB stable now? I have an IP5 on 8.1 (Pangu JB), and I just go an unlock, but for this to work, I was told I would have to factory reset my IP5! I am about to leave on vacation on Friday, and I'm wondering if everything for this JB is ready for 8.4 (at least basic functionality, like Mobile Substrate, and then I could check on for each tweak). Should I perhaps be better off waiting two more weeks? I'm torn between trying now and waiting, but by waiting, Apple might close the JB....
You don't have to set it up from scratch. Just backup, do a factory install and then apply your backup. It's stable and mobile substrate is working. There are a few tweaks that still need to be updated, but most things that work on 8.1.2 work on 8.4. Everything I used before works except Springtomize 3, Activator and f.lux.

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Hi Europa,
Thanks for your ultra-fast reply! My directions say that I must erase my phone like this: settings->general->Reset->Erase all contents and settings. Won't I then lose my JB, and so be forced to upgrade to 8.3? Or could I stay on 8.1?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Hi Europa,
Thanks for your ultra-fast reply! My directions say that I must erase my phone like this: settings->general->Reset->Erase all contents and settings. Won't I then lose my JB, and so be forced to upgrade to 8.3? Or could I stay on 8.1?
No, that is wrong. DO NOT do that! Just curious, where did you get those instructions?

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
No, that is wrong. DO NOT do that! Just curious, where did you get those instructions?
Wow, it's from Bell. I will show you their text below. Do you know how I should proceed??

Your unlocking request has been completed . Please follow the steps below to finalize the unlocking process.
IPhone unlocking steps to follow:
Start by connecting your IPhone to ITunes on your desktop computer, you will see the “name” of your iPhone pop-up under “Devices”. Right click on the name of your device and select “Backup”.
Once backed up, use your IPhone and go under “Settings” application. Under “Settings”, choose “General” and then “Reset”. Once in “Reset” you need to select “Erase All Contents and Settings” which will give you a prompt with a button marked “Erase IPhone”, which by clicking will complete the hard reset. The phone will power cycle and bring your IPhone back to factory state.
The phone in question will need to be set up as if it was new, select the country, language, etc... this can be done with any SIM card in it, Bell/Virgin or another provider.. Once all is set up, you will be given backup options, one of them being “Restore from iTunes”. Once your phone is backed up your iPhone will be unlocked. If you do not get prompted to choose a backup option, then you just need to go back into iTunes, once again right click on your phone under “Devices” and from the pop-up menu, choose “Restore From Backup”.
Please note the system may not tell you that the IPhone has been unlocked, please test with a SIM card from another provider.
For more info, you can try this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014
Thank you,
BELL Prevention Team

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Wow, it's from Bell. I will show you their text below. Do you know how I should proceed??
Sorry, I misunderstood you. I thought you meant those were your instructions for jailbreaking. You meant those instructions are for applying your unlock, but they are instructions for STOCK iPhones, not jailbroken iPhones. If you do that on a jailbroken device, you will get stuck at the boot logo. Don't do it. You need to restore in iTunes. This will update you to 8.4, remove your old jailbreak and apply your unlock. You'll get a popup in iTunes that says, "Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked." Then you can jailbreak and apply your backup so you don't have to set the phone up from scratch.

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Thanks Europa! Sorry if my message was not clear, I'm low on sleep due to all my last minute preps. Since most basic tweaks work on 8.4 (maybe f.lux and SwipeSelection don't work), do you think it possible that I use PackageBackup, or is that too risky a proposition? Since I would be going from 8.1 to 8.4, I would guess it's probably OK...

ring0_event

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Could not find the edit button in my sleep deprived state, so I'll reply to myself, saying that I have too much crap that won't work (CCControls, Springtomize), so I'll scratch pkgbackup.
Thanks for your help!