iOS 8 bugs

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
It's nice how you got the current temperature displayed alongside the current time in the status bar! Could you provide a link to the post where Europa expained how to do this? This looks like a jailbreak tweak of some sort, but iOS 8 hasn't been jailbroken yet, so... what kind of voodoo is this?

PS: I've tried this search on eiC, to no avail:

View attachment 39078
Screenshot not my phone. Europa's. I'd guess JB tweak. Probably on her 5s. I don't recall her mentioning that. My recollection is about my phone not having the Notification Center in my Settings, like is shown in her screenshot. All I have is Notifications. But it only shows the apps. Not those toggles in her screenshot.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's nice how you got the current temperature displayed alongside the current time in the status bar! Could you provide a link to the post where Europa expained how to do this? This looks like a jailbreak tweak of some sort, but iOS 8 hasn't been jailbroken yet, so... what kind of voodoo is this?

PS: I've tried this search on eiC, to no avail:

View attachment 39078
Screenshot not my phone. Europa's. I'd guess JB tweak. Probably on her 5s. I don't recall her mentioning that. My recollection is about my phone not having the Notification Center in my Settings, like is shown in her screenshot. All I have is Notifications. But it only shows the apps. Not those toggles in her screenshot.
Big misunderstanding here. That's not my phone. It's an iOS 7 screenshot that I got off the internet to post directions for something with NC in another thread, not directions for SB weather. Not every screenshot I post is my own. I sometimes just grab stuff off the internet. Ledsteplin thought it was mine and posted it in this thread. I've used lots of jailbreak weather tweaks similar to that in the past. You can't do that on a stock phone.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Here's a colossal bug you guys probably haven't noticed.

Earlier, I launched the App Store app because I wanted to share an App Store link to a fun app with someone via the sheet function (which is initiated by using the square with up arrow icon, for those who may be unfamiliar with it). I chose to share the link via Messages.

When the New Message screen appeared, I immediately noticed a glaring imperfection in the way it was rendered. The blinking vertical bar cursor was positioned to the left of the word "To:" (see below). I paused for a bit, scratched my head, and wondered what to do next.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and type the first letter of my intended recipient's name. Much to my relief, the cursor immediately jumped to the proper place (i.e. after the colon). Everything proceeded normally after that, at least on my end. As of the time of this writing, no harmful sequelae were experienced on my iPhone. I still have ask the person to whom I sent the link if his iPhone exploded, and I will update this post as necessary.

misplacedcursoralert.jpg

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007

Earlier, I launched the App Store app because I wanted to share an App Store link to a fun app with someone via the sheet function (which is initiated by using the square with up arrow icon, for those who may be unfamiliar with it). I chose to share the link via Messages.

When the New Message screen appeared, I immediately noticed a glaring imperfection in the way it was rendered. The blinking vertical bar cursor was positioned to the left of the word "To:" (see below). I paused for a bit, scratched my head, and wondered what to do next.

I decided to throw caution to the wind and type the first letter of my intended recipient's name. Much to my relief, the cursor immediately jumped to the proper place (i.e. after the colon). Everything proceeded normally after that, at least on my end. As of the time of this writing, no harmful sequelae were experienced on my iPhone. I still have ask the person to whom I sent the link if his iPhone exploded, and I will update this post as necessary.

View attachment 39577
Hardly "colossal" Rafa :p

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL

View attachment 39577
I see you've grown antlers. It's not even Christmas yet. Oh, I have seen that same issue in messages myself. But like you, it was accessed from a "share" option. My remedy was to tap on the right side of "to". That put the vertical bar in the right spot. Tadaa!

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Reactions: Rafagon

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I see you've grown antlers. It's not even Christmas yet. Oh, I have seen that same issue in messages myself. But like you, it was accessed from a "share" option. My remedy was to tap on the right side of "to". That put the vertical bar in the right spot. Tadaa!

I was supposed to look menacing, not Christmas-y. They were inspired by the TV show Hannibal (by "inspired" I mean lifted right off of a pic I saw on the Internet). And the bleeding eyes, basically copied-and-pasted off of @Kadelic 's avatar...

Reactions: Kadelic

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I was supposed to look menacing, not Christmas-y. They were inspired by the TV show Hannibal (by "inspired" I mean lifted right off of a pic I saw on the Internet). And the bleeding eyes, basically copied-and-pasted off of @Kadelic 's avatar...
You can't see bleeding eyes on the app view. Who are you menacing?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415369558.345520.jpg

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
This is a problem I have on my 6+ when on Facebook if I click a link such as this one the keyboard comes up and will not go away

You can click the done button but it goes and comes back in a fraction of a second

ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1415410879.468056.jpg

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
A fairly common issue my Wife and I have, is our messsges show our iCloud email address, rather than our name at the top of messages. This may occur once a week or so. I delete the affected threads, then toggle off iMessage and FaceTime. Then Reset Network Settings. Then Toggle iMessage and FaceTime back on. This works for a while, but it keeps happening. Others on other sites report the same issue. I have everything in "Sent and Received set as it should be.? Anyone else seeing this?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
A fairly common issue my Wife and I have, is our messsges show our iCloud email address, rather than our name at the top of messages. This may occur once a week or so. I delete the affected threads, then toggle off iMessage and FaceTime. Then Reset Network Settings. Then Toggle iMessage and FaceTime back on. This works for a while, but it keeps happening. Others on other sites report the same issue. I have everything in "Sent and Received set as it should be.? Anyone else seeing this?
Deleting your email addresses in send and receive will fix it. Do you need an email there? You only need it if you have an iMac or iPad that you want to receive duplicates of all of your messages on. If you just have phones, you can delete the emails.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Deleting your email addresses in send and receive will fix it. Do you need an email there? You only need it if you have an iMac or iPad that you want to receive duplicates of all of your messages on. If you just have phones, you can delete the emails.
I never had any of my email addresses checked on the Send part at the bottom. I did on the Receive part at the top. But this issue is with Sent messsges. But to be sure, I unchecked my iCloud address on the top part. This never happened before with it set as I have it. And other people are having the same issue. It would be nice to know why it's happening.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I never had any of my email addresses checked on the Send part at the bottom. I did on the Receive part at the top. But this issue is with Sent messsges. But to be sure, I unchecked my iCloud address on the top part. This never happened before with it set as I have it. And other people are having the same issue. It would be nice to know why it's happening.
I understood all of that already.
This is what I meant:

Settings > Messages > iMessages > Apple ID > Sign Out.

Do this on both phones. It will only use your phone numbers from now on. You don't need the email if you don't have iPads or Macs that need duplicates.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I understood all of that already.
This is what I meant:

Settings > Messages > iMessages > Apple ID > Sign Out.

Do this on both phones. It will only use your phone numbers from now on. You don't need the email if you don't have iPads or Macs that need duplicates.
So I should not be signed in to iMessage? Is the only reason to sign in to iMessage and FaceTime for using them with email addresses? If so, I'll sign out of both.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
So I should not be signed in to iMessage? Is the only reason to sign in to iMessage and FaceTime for using them with email addresses? If so, I'll sign out of both.
1. No.
2. You can use your phone number for iMessages and FaceTime.