iOS 9.3

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I do it to save battery power. And the apps I turned off are peripheral apps I only use on occasion, like United Airlines.
It doesn't really save battery to turn it off. It helps apps while running in the background to do so more efficiently. If you turn it off, those apps will run in the background less efficiently. I keep mine on for all my apps. I've tested it both ways. Doesn't seem to matter as far as battery life is concerned. Backlight brightness and location services are what eats battery.

Reactions: 47seijar

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
The pulling of the original 9.3 for older devices is as good a reason as I can think for letting any significant update 'steep like tea' for a while after receiving it, and for doing a bit of research for feedback. I just did two phones (6 & 6Plus) smoothly and uneventfully but had the 'fail to verify' error on my original mini and my wifes iPad 2.... The 'abort before install' probably saved me a lot of grief.....Bravo Apple.... Eager to see how 'NightShift' looks this evening, and I must say that Airdrop seems a lot quicker between the phones and my iMac....

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The pulling of the original 9.3 for older devices is as good a reason as I can think for letting any significant update 'steep like tea' for a while after receiving it, and for doing a bit of research for feedback. I just did two phones (6 & 6Plus) smoothly and uneventfully but had the 'fail to verify' error on my original mini and my wifes iPad 2.... The 'abort before install' probably saved me a lot of grief.....Bravo Apple.... Eager to see how 'NightShift' looks this evening, and I must say that Airdrop seems a lot quicker between the phones and my iMac....
I love night shift. I keep it on 23h59min/7. LOL There's no setting to keep it on. So I set it to begin at 8:00 am and end 7:59 am.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Reactions: Zanthe

tharley46

Jul 17, 2014
My iPhone downloaded the new version without my permission, all it ask me was, do you want to install!!!! How do I stop things from downloading on its own???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Does fine on my old 5. No different from 9.2.1. Runs about the same. I don't think the 5 was in that group.
It did say, iPhone 5s or earlier are not able to download and install iOS 9.3 if they have not done so already.
But think my device has already downloaded, just needing to install. May just bite the bullet and update. What's the worst that can happen???
Ok... Don't answer that! LOL

Reactions: iPutz

47seijar

Zealot
Bronze
Oct 6, 2012
Denville, NJ
It doesn't really save battery to turn it off. It helps apps while running in the background to do so more efficiently. If you turn it off, those apps will run in the background less efficiently. I keep mine on for all my apps. I've tested it both ways. Doesn't seem to matter as far as battery life is concerned. Backlight brightness and location services are what eats battery.
Thanks for that! If it doesn't significantly effect battery life I'll turn those apps back on that I have since turned off. Even things like the weather app or Facebook?

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Been reading many horror stories about 9.3. No thanks at this point.

Safari links not clickable, can't upgrade on older iOS devices without original Apple ID login details --- etc.

Does Apple even test this stuff at all anymore?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
My iPhone downloaded the new version without my permission, all it ask me was, do you want to install!!!! How do I stop things from downloading on its own???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (WeReallyNeedToKnowThis?)
Try going to the Settings > iTunes & App Stores > and turn off Updates under Automatic Downloads.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
It did say, iPhone 5s or earlier are not able to download and install iOS 9.3 if they have not done so already.
But think my device has already downloaded, just needing to install. May just bite the bullet and update. What's the worst that can happen???
Ok... Don't answer that! LOL

That was the case with my mini ( original) - when I clicked on 'Install' it did a few machinations and came up with the 'unable to verify' error - what was left was the 1 on the Settings page ( Software update) but the badge icon red 1 on the home screen icon for settings is gone.... I'm assuming that the app was pulled thus 'unable to verify' - meaning had I dived in to update when it was first pushed, I 'may' have had further grief which is why I say 'good catch' to the pulling of the update fir specific devices until all is sorted out -

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Been reading many horror stories about 9.3. No thanks at this point.

Safari links not clickable, can't upgrade on older iOS devices without original Apple ID login details --- etc.

Does Apple even test this stuff at all anymore?
It seems they’re outsourcing too much of the testing to the general public via Public Betas. And apparently, the general public isn’t doing a great job of it (not that it’s our job). Someone on another forum suggested that things have gone downhill since the firing of Scott Forstall.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Thanks for that! If it doesn't significantly effect battery life I'll turn those apps back on that I have since turned off. Even things like the weather app or Facebook?
I've gave up on Facebook. Just don't worry about it. But especially those that may run in the background too much. That's the problem. Most apps don't run in the background much at all. They all need to some. But a few hang out there too much. My big 3 are Facebook, TapaTalk, and the stock Mail app. I just don't worry about battery anymore. I'll upgrade before the battery dies. If it goes bad, I'll buy another.

Reactions: Da_Do

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
It seems they’re outsourcing too much of the testing to the general public via Public Betas. And apparently, the general public isn’t doing a great job of it (not that it’s our job). Someone on another forum suggested that things have gone downhill since the firing of Scott Forstall.
Maybe the 'Silver lining' is that realizing that all isn't as it should be ( and may be as it WAS in the past) the 'powers that be' are now moving to be proactive in pulling updates if things are 'going south'... There have been a few messy ones lately where it was 'go ahead' then sit and wait for the next update to fix the problems.... Assuming it's not a perfect world, pulling possibly problematic software is a bit of a move in the right direction , albeit slight, IMHO

Reactions: Rafagon

etmarcr

Sep 21, 2013
This confused me so I searched for a clarification. I found on the Apple website what I attempted to post here (it seems I'm not adept at best practices here yet!). Anyway, this states that turning off Background App Refresh does save battery life.

Screen Shot 2016-03-27 at 14.48.18.jpg