iOS 9.3

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
This confused me so I searched for a clarification. I found on the Apple website what I attempted to post here (it seems I'm not adept at best practices here yet!). Anyway, this states that turning off Background App Refresh does save battery life.

View attachment 43993
Everything you do on a smartphone uses some battery. But it's not significant. It won't drain your battery. What do you think Background App Refresh is for? Do you know? Apple didn't put it in place just to drain batteries. It has a good purpose. Tech writers got it wrong from the beginning. Read this:
http://appinstructor.com/blog/2014/background-app-refresh-explained

Last edited:

etmarcr

Sep 21, 2013
I'll admit that I'm certainly not an iOS expert! That article tells a different side of BAR than any other article I've read, even from some of the big name Mac websites. The ones I've seen all say the same thing about disabling it, especially in those many iOS articles online about 'What Settings to Use for Saving the Battery', etc.

But the author does bring up a good point about 'who do you trust'?

Think I'll start using it with a couple to begin with and see how it goes. Thanks for the info!

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I'll admit that I'm certainly not an iOS expert! That article tells a different side of BAR than any other article I've read, even from some of the big name Mac websites. The ones I've seen all say the same thing about disabling it, especially in those many iOS articles online about 'What Settings to Use for Saving the Battery', etc.

But the author does bring up a good point about 'who do you trust'?

Think I'll start using it with a couple to begin with and see how it goes. Thanks for the info!
From day one after iOS 7, the tech writers pretty much condemned Background App Refresh. They've given it a bad name as a battery eater that has stuck with many users. Many still think it must be turned off to save battery life. And you can't convince them otherwise. It goes to, "If you hear something enough, it becomes true." Apple does tell us that turning off apps "may" help preserve battery life. So what's with that? Many apps don't need BAR. They're only in the background a very short time and cause no problem with battery life. Turning those on for BAR just uses a little battery for nothing. The ones that need to be on are the more intense apps that run in the background a lot. That actually saves a bit of battery life. Apple should have offered a better explanation. Sometimes I think they underestimate the intelligence of the average Apple consumer.

Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Apple has taken another swing at iOS 9.3. For users whose devices were rendered useless by last week’s doomed iOS 9.3 update (which crippled some “older devices” by leaving them at the Activation screen unless users could recall the original credentials used to set up those devices), there is renewed hope today. Apple’s iOS 9.3 build 13E237 will attempt to right the wrongs of the previous build.

Time will tell if they got it right this time around.

Last edited:

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
My 5S is running 9.3 just fine. I updated the first day of its availability. Even night mode works smoothly; it's my nightstand device. However, the 6S+ is like butter.
YMMV

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I haven't heard anyone with a 5 or 5s say they had issues. My 5 did fine. I think it was mostly the 4s and below on the phones.

dmoskaluk

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 22, 2013
Paynes Bay - Barbados
I haven't heard anyone with a 5 or 5s say they had issues. My 5 did fine. I think it was mostly the 4s and below on the phones.
I would suspect it was in the proverbial 'abundance of caution' that the update was pulled, and that most of those who downloaded / updated, even on many of the devices in question would be fine as long as they remembered the 'creds' used originally. Pulling updates until patched is/was proactive damage control only and to me is a positive indication going forward

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hope the revision fixes iBooks.
What's the issue with iBooks? I had a minor hiccup with the current book I'm reading. Last week (or the week before) iBooks lost my place and put me back a few hundred pages. It was a pain to find my place again, but since I did I haven't had any other issues. Is that the issue you're talking about?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Last edited:

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
This iOS 9.3 (including 9.3.1) flaw allows access to contacts and photos from Lock Screen. Only devices with 3D Touch are vulnerable. The article also mentions how you can avoid being violated by a nefarious individual attempting to exploit this flaw.

Updated: This was fixed by Apple.

Last edited: