iOS5 + iCloud "This Fall" - Timing Woahs

So what are your thoughts, who else says this software push will coincide with the release of a new

• Total voters

Michael Baturin

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
South Jersey
Is it just me, or did anyone else's Brain start to draw conclusions at the mention of this timing.

As there have been rumors floating around for a while regarding the release of the next iPhone in the September time-frame, this Software release timing seems to conveniently coincide.

So what are your thoughts, who else says this software push will coincide with the release of a new iPhone?

|3are

Silver
Jun 13, 2008
Texas
I'm sure they'll do like they always do by releasing new software and new hardware at the same time.

As I've said before, though, Apple has lost my confidence when it comes to release dates. I waited 10+ months for the white iPhone after Steve said at WWDC 2010 that the phone would be available on June 24 in both black AND white, then the PR crew said by the end of July, followed by a statement at the iPhone 4 antenna press conference by Steve Jobs that the white phone would be shipping by the end of the month, then another press release pushing it to later this year, then this spring...

I'll never get over it, obviously. In any case, it's hard for me to get my hopes up when the best Apple can say right now is "this fall." Even statements straight from the mouth of Steve Jobs saying a product is coming by a certain date don't always come to fruition.

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
iOS 5 feats are out. Go to the Apple site and watch the video! Makes me wanna buy an iPad.... I'm soo tempted.

Syamil

Bronze
Jan 31, 2011
Singapore
I'm sure they'll do like they always do by releasing new software and new hardware at the same time.

As I've said before, though, Apple has lost my confidence when it comes to release dates. I waited 10+ months for the white iPhone after Steve said at WWDC 2010 that the phone would be available on June 24 in both black AND white, then the PR crew said by the end of July, followed by a statement at the iPhone 4 antenna press conference by Steve Jobs that the white phone would be shipping by the end of the month, then another press release pushing it to later this year, then this spring...

I'll never get over it, obviously. In any case, it's hard for me to get my hopes up when the best Apple can say right now is "this fall." Even statements straight from the mouth of Steve Jobs saying a product is coming by a certain date don't always come to fruition.
Chill man. Patience is a virtue.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Is it just me, or did anyone else's Brain start to draw conclusions at the mention of this timing.

As there have been rumors floating around for a while regarding the release of the next iPhone in the September time-frame, this Software release timing seems to conveniently coincide.

So what are your thoughts, who else says this software push will coincide with the release of a new iPhone?
Why would they intentionally not mention it then? It doesn't make sense and is un-apple-like to not get word out and let it start hyping itself.

As far as I've ever seen, they're really good at keeping the lid on new hardware releases so that the public is shown what they want us to see in the context in which they want us to see it. Why would Apple now decide to keep this a secret and let internet rumors and innuendo (that are probably largely inaccurate anyway) dictate how the phone is hyped while simultaneously letting down everyone who expected an announcement today?

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
iOS 5 feats are out. Go to the Apple site and watch the video! Makes me wanna buy an iPad.... I'm soo tempted.
The iPad 2 is very nice. Looks like iOS 5 will bring a lot of useful apps for the iPad.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iCafe app

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Why would they intentionally not mention it then? It doesn't make sense and is un-apple-like to not get word out and let it start hyping itself.

As far as I've ever seen, they're really good at keeping the lid on new hardware releases so that the public is shown what they want us to see in the context in which they want us to see it. Why would Apple now decide to keep this a secret and let internet rumors and innuendo (that are probably largely inaccurate anyway) dictate how the phone is hyped while simultaneously letting down everyone who expected an announcement today?
I'm not sure why anyone would have expected a hardware announcement today. I've read in several places over the last week that the keynote would address software only - Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud. I wasn't disappointed at all.

Irish Rose

Zealot
Sep 6, 2010
I love the split keyboard option.
I am not sure about this one. After using a full size keyboard for so long, I don't know if I can get used to it being slit. Did they mention, whether or not it will be an option to use it?

Sent from my iPad 2 using iCafe app

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I'm not sure why anyone would have expected a hardware announcement today. I've read in several places over the last week that the keynote would address software only - Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud. I wasn't disappointed at all.
There was also tons of speculation in the other direction (leaked specs, dropping price of older devices, and every article that mentioned invitations eluded to the possibility...). Then there's also the trend of seeing a new one annually.

While it may not have been reasonable to "expect" an announcement, it is certainly not unreasonable for the average person to have felt let down that there wasn't one (which is really more of how I was using the word "expected", though I can see how that doesn't convey well here).

Reactions: adnurahs

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
There was also tons of speculation in the other direction (leaked specs, dropping price of older devices, and every article that mentioned invitations eluded to the possibility...). Then there's also the trend of seeing a new one annually.

While it may not have been reasonable to "expect" an announcement, it is certainly not unreasonable for the average person to have felt let down that there wasn't one (which is really more of how I was using the word "expected", though I can see how that doesn't convey well here).
Well, When I see Apple say "software only," I tend to believe them. I mean, yeah, they could be hiding a surprise, but I'd seriously doubt it, given their history.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Well, When I see Apple say "software only," I tend to believe them. I mean, yeah, they could be hiding a surprise, but I'd seriously doubt it, given their history.
you also wouldn't see that if you were googling things like "iPhone 4s" or "iPhone 5" because the huge fan sites are the ones that dominate those searches and they were very much being fed by the rumor mill. Even this site has a post on the 31st of May that refers to an iPhone release later this year, which (to me, at least) lends itself to thinking they would be announcing it before then. In fact, google iPhone 4S right now and take a peek at all the Summer/Fall predictions that litter the first page.

I just googled "Apple says software only for wwdc" and there were hits from March. I guess if you knew what to look for, it would've been easier :(.