iOS5 + iCloud "This Fall" - Timing Woahs

So what are your thoughts, who else says this software push will coincide with the release of a new

• Total voters

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
lol, yes.

I mean, I wasn't following WWDC that closely because I'm not interested in what all Apple is putting out just by virtue of it being them. I am, however, in the market for a phone, so that's where my (very limited) research was directed.

I was cautiously optimistic, so my feelings aren't hurt or anything (in fact, its weird that this entire dialogue spun off of the least significant detail in my original hypothetical). I'm just in a weird spot right now as far as my phone situation.

C'est la vie.

monkeysrock0622

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
I think the annual iPod event will be replaced by an annual iOS event. Basic iPods will be discontinued and the new September event will focus on iOS software, iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches (and Apple TV if need be).

The reason I say this is because the new iPod line has always been introduced just in time for christmas, because it was Apple's flagship product. Now, however, iOS products are their best selling devices and they have obviously shifted toward marketing iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches much more than the classic iPod line.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Well, Stewie, can your time machine go forward as well?
that would be nice, but I wouldn't know where to go forward to....

(in an effort to get us back on topic): i don't think that time is this fall coinciding with the release of iOS 5.

BOOM! Back on topic.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
The OP asked if we thought the iPhone 5 would be released alongside the new iOS.

In response to your time machine statement, I said that I don't know when I would have to go forward to (in order to get the new iPhone) but that I did not believe that time to be concurrent with the release of iOS and Cloud.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Why would they intentionally not mention it then? It doesn't make sense and is un-apple-like to not get word out and let it start hyping itself.

As far as I've ever seen, they're really good at keeping the lid on new hardware releases so that the public is shown what they want us to see in the context in which they want us to see it. Why would Apple now decide to keep this a secret and let internet rumors and innuendo (that are probably largely inaccurate anyway) dictate how the phone is hyped while simultaneously letting down everyone who expected an announcement today?
Apple are not very good at 'keeping the lid on new hardware releases'. On the contrary, we often see what they're going to release before they announce it themselves. Take the iPhone 4 prototype fiasco, for example.

Also, Apple may not have announced it purely because it isn't ready yet. Following the White iPhone screw-up, Apple may want to withhold a release date or even any details for fear of letting customers down by not meeting their own release dates or by having to revoke certain features.

jrobmcclure

Jun 28, 2010
I was really hoping for a new iPhone to be announced but wasn't too surprised when it wasn't. However, after seeing iOS5, I can say I think I am more excited for that.

Was thinking the same thing with the next iPhone, would really be surprised if it was leaked as the 4 was. Hopefully we will see the new iPhone in the fall with the release of iOS5.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Apple are not very good at 'keeping the lid on new hardware releases'. On the contrary, we often see what they're going to release before they announce it themselves. Take the iPhone 4 prototype fiasco, for example.
That "fiasco" was the exception and certainly not the rule.

Go read some of the articles from that event and see for yourself why everyone thought that the leak was such a huge event (and its not because Apple is bad at keeping secrets).

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
That was simply an example, there are countless more I could list, with a couple of them being the iPod nano screens that were leaked, the iPad 2 case designs leaked, the leak of the iTunes over-the-air syncing last week.... Need I say more?

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
Gizmodo and cnet both vehemently disagree with you, and those were just the first two places that came up on google.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think the annual iPod event will be replaced by an annual iOS event. Basic iPods will be discontinued and the new September event will focus on iOS software, iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches (and Apple TV if need be).

The reason I say this is because the new iPod line has always been introduced just in time for christmas, because it was Apple's flagship product. Now, however, iOS products are their best selling devices and they have obviously shifted toward marketing iPhones, iPads and iPod Touches much more than the classic iPod line.
Also in iOS 5, the iPod will be replaced by the Music app. :)

Reactions: monkeysrock0622