iPad at the Gym?

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
I'd feel like a jerk if I brought one. I'd stick to an ipod or iPhone. nothing fancy.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Unfortunately there aren't any waterproof cases (that I'm aware of), so i haven't tied it. Even if there were, I wouldn't trust them.

It's good to have quiet sometimes.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
i wouldn't....

i paid way too much for it to get dropped, or things to get dropped on it, or for it to get smashed between equipment, or for it to get stolen, or sweat to collect in between the cracks, the list goes on.....

you don't bring your laptop to the gym (at least i hope you don't), and the ipad theoretically makes you look like a douch if you're watching a movie while working out. go home and watch the movie, that's not what the gym is for. you're especially asking for a beating if you don't have headphones connected.

bring a magazine or book if you want to read, carry the ipod or iPhone if you want to listen to music, but please don't bring your ipad and watch movies.

cabinets

Bronze
Jul 20, 2007
Atlanta Ga
I actually did last week. Set it on the stand on the treadmill and watched "Absense of Malice". Worked nicely.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
i paid way too much for it to get dropped, or things to get dropped on it, or for it to get smashed between equipment, or for it to get stolen, or sweat to collect in between the cracks, the list goes on.....

you don't bring your laptop to the gym (at least i hope you don't), and the ipad theoretically makes you look like a douch if you're watching a movie while working out. go home and watch the movie, that's not what the gym is for. you're especially asking for a beating if you don't have headphones connected.

bring a magazine or book if you want to read, carry the ipod or iPhone if you want to listen to music, but please don't bring your ipad and watch movies.
First. I'm not a douche. Second. I live in socal - land of douches. Third. I specifically asked about book/magazine replacement. Nothing about movies. If this is supposed to replace books why would I bring an actual book or magazine? Isn't that the main purpose of this thing?

Also - if I'm going just to do cardio, I don't see it being a problem, propped up on the stand....

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
I don't see a problem using it as a reader at the gym. My concern would be everyone there seeing it and maybe waiting for you to walk out and robbing you. Guys don't worry about that kind of stuff I guess.

the_brein

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
could someone argue that it could have the same effect as someone using an iPhone (not making calls, but using apps and internet) in a theater during a movie? it's distracting to other people? just a thought.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think working out in a noisy gym is a little different than watching a movie in a dark, quiet theater.

ny888

Bronze
Nov 3, 2009
Every cardio machine at my gym has its own TV now so everybody is watching something.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Plug into the matrix.

Every time I walk into the gym I think that they should hook up all those machines to a generator. You'd have a completely manpowered building, I bet.

Magicman4131

Bronze
Jul 25, 2009
California
Plug into the matrix.

Every time I walk into the gym I think that they should hook up all those machines to a generator. You'd have a completely manpowered building, I bet.
My gym has TVs that are in front of a bike and they only work when you are peddeling. They also have a biking video game in the kids area where you have to pedal to get the game to run then stear with the handles. It is pretty cool. I do think It would be awesome if a gym ran on people exercising.

forkee

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
First. I'm not a douche. Second. I live in socal - land of douches. Third. I specifically asked about book/magazine replacement. Nothing about movies. If this is supposed to replace books why would I bring an actual book or magazine? Isn't that the main purpose of this thing?

Also - if I'm going just to do cardio, I don't see it being a problem, propped up on the stand....

first, i wasn't initially calling you a douche. second, i live in socal too. be glad you live in the nicer part. In los angeles you would get robbed (and half beaten to death by people looking for other nice things like an iPhone) the moment no one is looking; if you don't believe me, feel free to stop by hollywood or compton. the worst isn't in the middle of the night, its in the early evening when there are too many people that it's hard to single anyone out. third, i was addressing someone else's suggestion about the movies and how you would be perceived by other patrons. hey, if you don't want honest feedback then go ahead, but don't say no one warned you.

oh, and the main purpose of the ipad wasn't meant to just read books. that's what a kindle is for. it was also meant for more places rather than the gym. there's just some places you shouldn't bring things, and i don't recommend bringing an iPad to the gym.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
I take mine to the gym all the time for reading. I've read three books since the ipad wifi came out already! All at the gym. It's been really great to have. My iPhone pumps the tunes and I read on the iPad. Some people have asked about it and played with it...I've had no issues at all.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
first, i wasn't initially calling you a douche. second, i live in socal too. be glad you live in the nicer part. In los angeles you would get robbed (and half beaten to death by people looking for other nice things like an iPhone) the moment no one is looking; if you don't believe me, feel free to stop by hollywood or compton. the worst isn't in the middle of the night, its in the early evening when there are too many people that it's hard to single anyone out. third, i was addressing someone else's suggestion about the movies and how you would be perceived by other patrons. hey, if you don't want honest feedback then go ahead, but don't say no one warned you.

oh, and the main purpose of the ipad wasn't meant to just read books. that's what a kindle is for. it was also meant for more places rather than the gym. there's just some places you shouldn't bring things, and i don't recommend bringing an iPad to the gym.
I'll give that the main purpose isn't to read books. Fine. I still say that an iPad replaces a Kindle, it's not a supplement to a Kindle.

What honest "feedback"? You stated your opinion. Hat's off. Maybe in Compton, yes, I wouldn't do that. But then again, if I lived in Compton, I probably would have a gun, and couldn't afford an iPad. In Irvine, I'm fine.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Plug into the matrix.

Interesting. I like how you think. :eek:k:eek:k

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
bicycle-generator-plans1.jpg
Apparently, they are fairly easy to build and only cost about $400 per bike.

Last edited by a moderator: