iPad vs. Heavy Rain

smudgeyjoe

Bronze
Feb 18, 2010
Colorado
:)I know this is a crazy thread title, but I am a crazy guy. I am 62 going on 12. I love technology, I love games. There is a PS3 game coming out next week called Heavy Rain. I was intrigued by it when I first read about it, but when people tried to describe its interface, it sounded bizarre. It sounded bizarre because it was without precedent. No one had played a game quite like it before so attempts to describe it were without a frame of reference. A few days ago, I played the demo of the game and was flabbergasted. The creators of the game have opened a door into a new world. I don't know if this is the case with the iPad, but I am hoping that I can make a similar comparison. If we compare what the iPad can do with iPhone apps or with anything we have seen previously, we may be missing the point of the iPad. Whether one is a fan of Steve Jobs and Apple or not, they are definitely not stupid. The success or failure of the iPad will be what it can become, not what it is. It is my hope, since I am too old to wait around a lot longer, that in the same way Heavy Rain is opening the door into a world, the iPad will do the same thing for the tablet. To compare it to laptops or notebook computers is to miss what Apple is trying to do, that is to establish a brand new genre. I for one am really excited at the prospect.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't compare it to a netbook or a laptop. It's running a mobile OS, so I compare it to an iPod Touch. Aside from a data plan and the ability to run iWork, it doesn't do anything the iPod Touch cannot. That isn't enough for me to warrant classifing it a door opener or a new genre.

mori

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
the only thing that bothers me its the lack of flash OR of more html5 content on the net.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i played the Heavy Rain demo, and found it pretty boring. You just mash buttons that pop up on the screen, which is not that original. It was like an interactive movie meets guitar hero.

The characters looked superb.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Although I don't plan on getting one, I'm excited about what iPad will do for the platform in general. I'm hoping boundaries are pushed on the new device that trickle down wherever possible to the iPhone and iPod Touch.

CASEACE79

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 29, 2009
Yeah I'm having the same feeling about the iPad being more than a big iPod touch. I won't be able to accurately describe what it does till I use it and even then I think it will be hard to describe. Experiences generally are.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
...I compare it [iPad] to an iPod Touch. Aside from a data plan and the ability to run iWork, it doesn't do anything the iPod Touch cannot...
Well, it uses 9.7 inch screen to interact with the user. That is a BIG thing the iPod touch cannot do.

Trust me, the day they make an iPod touch that has a 9.7 inch screen, that thing'll sell like hot cakes.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I thought when I read that thread title that you were going to discuss the implications of using the iPad in the rain - lol.

techguy78

Mar 10, 2010
I agree with you completely. BUT the bigger screen and ability to turn the data plan on and off will make a BIG difference in how customers view the iPad versus the iPod touch. Im not getting one, but Im sure Apple will sell plenty of them.