iPhone 3G Battery Guide and Charging Tips

MileHighRob

Zealot
Gold
Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
yes, if you're doing what you're supposed to, you should still have a pretty good battery. You should make it to iDay 3 easily, especially since the original iPhone doesn't have 3G to kill the battery. It's almost impossible to kill the original iPhone battery in a day.
? I have the 3G.

Maybe I confused you on my last posting. I was trying to say I'm hopeful my 3G battery holds up as well as my v1 did.

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
I've been trying different things this weekend.. the key I noticed was disabling bluetooth. Normally during the day, my phone is near dead by dinnertime. With bluetooth off, my phone lasted all day and at night was still at 20%.

Bluetooth is the key. Sucks that I use a BT headset a lot of the time... I wish there was a way the iPhone could automatically ENABLE bluetooth on a call.

Do you hear me, Apple? :D

bboucher790

Aug 13, 2008
Interesting, I always have BT on. With it off, I didn't notice a big difference. I only make BT calls on my way to work though, I don't use it while I'm walking down the street or at my job etc.

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
So using the numeric battery meter (Thanks, Bossprefs!)... when I turned BT back on, I was at 25%. Within 5 minutes, it dropped down to 19%.

I then turned Bluetooth OFF. That was at appx 7pm.

Right now it's 12:30am and it's at 18%.

Man, bluetooth is a SICK drain.

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
Well you could get a nice upgraded wired headset which works well and looks much less dorky.
You can't really believe that using a headset wired to your phone is less dorky than using bluetooth?

I wonder if the battery drain has anything to do with the headset and not the phone? I have a motorola I can try (I use Jabra now)

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
well im on my 4th day without charging my phone... heres my daily event i get up about 330pm and make some calls, check email, and use wi-fi for about 15 min. i go to work which my phone is on standby until 0630am i then do the same make some calls, text, check email, and surf with wi-fi. i have bluetooth, wi-fi, 3g turned off and my screen brightness set about 20%. i have to say this battery is a hell of a lot better than any other phone ive had.

smknSRT8

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
well im on my 4th day without charging my phone... heres my daily event i get up about 330pm and make some calls, check email, and use wi-fi for about 15 min. i go to work which my phone is on standby until 0630am i then do the same make some calls, text, check email, and surf with wi-fi. i have bluetooth, wi-fi, 3g turned off and my screen brightness set about 20%. i have to say this battery is a hell of a lot better than any other phone ive had.
Doesn't sound like you use your phone much.

bboucher790

Aug 13, 2008
So using the numeric battery meter (Thanks, Bossprefs!)... when I turned BT back on, I was at 25%. Within 5 minutes, it dropped down to 19%.

I then turned Bluetooth OFF. That was at appx 7pm.

Right now it's 12:30am and it's at 18%.

Man, bluetooth is a SICK drain.
Your phone sounds defective. Just having BT "on" shouldn't have that much of an impact on battery life. I would head over to the Apple store, or maybe try a restore. Something is fishy.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
The part about going back to the home screen so that your program doesn't run in the background sounds fishy. NONE of these programs run in the background. Isn't that why we're waiting for push notifications? Otherwise, I should be able to start AIM, lock it and get messages because it's running in the "background."

bboucher790

Aug 13, 2008
The part about going back to the home screen so that your program doesn't run in the background sounds fishy. NONE of these programs run in the background. Isn't that why we're waiting for push notifications? Otherwise, I should be able to start AIM, lock it and get messages because it's running in the "background."
If you go to the Home screen, it will quit the program. If you just turn your iPhone off while inside an app, it will continue running the App. You are referring to having multiple apps open at the same time. That's not what the guide is implying.

rmfnla

Bronze
Interesting, I always have BT on. With it off, I didn't notice a big difference. I only make BT calls on my way to work though, I don't use it while I'm walking down the street or at my job etc.
I agree. I can't see how just having the BT enabled on the phone draws any power if the earpiece is turned off.

I just leave the iPhone BT on and turn the earpiece on and off as I need it. I have to think this is what Apple intended since it takes so many steps to turn it on/off on the phone.

Here in CA it is now the law that cell phones in the car must be hands-free. Of course, that doesn't stop the real morons from texting while driving! :eek:

scottjf8

Silver
Aug 12, 2008
I agree. I can't see how just having the BT enabled on the phone draws any power if the earpiece is turned off.

I just leave the iPhone BT on and turn the earpiece on and off as I need it. I have to think this is what Apple intended since it takes so many steps to turn it on/off on the phone.

Here in CA it is now the law that cell phones in the car must be hands-free. Of course, that doesn't stop the real morons from texting while driving! :eek:
The only thing is - I noticed that when I go into settings - bluetooth. It's always "searching" for bluetooth devices. Is that always happening, even when not in the Bluetooth settings page?

I'm back to 2.1 non-jailbreak, so I'm going to see if keeping bluetooth on drains my battery.

bboucher790

Aug 13, 2008
The only thing is - I noticed that when I go into settings - bluetooth. It's always "searching" for bluetooth devices. Is that always happening, even when not in the Bluetooth settings page?

I'm back to 2.1 non-jailbreak, so I'm going to see if keeping bluetooth on drains my battery.
BT on will draw more power than BT off. It should not as significant as you state it to be. I had BT on yesterday, surfed the web for an hour, listened to my ipod for an hour, then had a 20 minute conversation on my headset in my car. Total usage = 2:20. My battery? 70% full.

EEZ123

Sep 6, 2007
I looked through this thread quickly and I did not see this... If you charge your battery every night, day, whatever and it has half a charge 3/4 charge whatever, then you are only 1/2 a cycle charge if its half charged 1/4 cylcle if its 3/4 charged etc.... So if a lithium ion battery has 100 cycles but you are putting only 1/4 cyle back in it would last 400 charges, all things being equal.

Ed