iPhone 3G case cracks (white)

iAttorney

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Houston, TX
I know the color seem irrelevant to most, but what if Apple used a different batch of their plastic for the white ones? It is entirely possible that whatever vat of goo was used to pour the white backings contained an inferior mix. That would explain why no cracks are occurring on the black phones.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I know the color seem irrelevant to most, but what if Apple used a different batch of their plastic for the white ones? It is entirely possible that whatever vat of goo was used to pour the white backings contained an inferior mix. That would explain why no cracks are occurring on the black phones.
Actually... cool doesn't crack. :p

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
It doesn't seem like it would be specific to the white iPhones, as the only difference is the color. Either way, another reason to pick black.
I agree that if the white is going to develop cracks, then the black is equally likely to do the same. But if they aren't from drops and Apple is going to stand by delivering a quality product, replacing or repairing (new backs?) defective phones, then isn't it actually better to have white so the flaws will be evident and you can get them dealt with?

Btw, my white iPhone is crack-free in spite of one short drop onto a wood bench (that almost gave me a heart attack).

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
Ahhhh just another reason I prefer the metal backing of the v1 to the 3G's plastic, cause if someone dropped it you could tell by the dent, but if you have stress cracks on your 3G then Att or Apple may accuse you of dropping it and just trying to get a free iPhone:sick:
Pds, I'm sure that with all the time you've spent saving and shopping for your iPhone that you're planning to put it in a case, but my experience with naked iPhones is that the metal back on the v1 is much more slippery, rendering it more prone to drops.

projectdarkside

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Pds, I'm sure that with all the time you've spent saving and shopping for your iPhone that you're planning to put it in a case, but my experience with naked iPhones is that the metal back on the v1 is much more slippery, rendering it more prone to drops.
WOW you actually know who I am!:laugh2: Your cool with me kisstine:cool:
-When I bought my 3G I was planning on just having it in a InvisiShield but maybe I'll go ahead save alittle extra to cover the cost of both the Shield and a case, sadly their arent that many good cases out right now I'm gonna need some recommendations lol!. . .

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I think its more likely that they're both cracking, but the dirt that gets in the crack is showing up more noticeably on the white.

Jmho

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I have had my White since Day 1 ................No cracks....but I have in a case with shield

Tex

Silver
Jul 15, 2008
Philly
I have a white crack.....

HA

I need to eat something...have yet to eat today (stupid). My brain is reverting to a 10th grade level.

crupp

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Atlanta
One thought I have not seen mentioned is the the crack may actually be in the pigmentation (white in this case) and maybe not in the actual structure of the phone. Which would point to a flaw in the application of the white coating. Just a thought

GoldenAnkh

Bronze
Apr 5, 2007
Michigan, USA
www.robinsachs.com
My white one has a shield and a case and I didn't notice any cracks when I first read this thread around 6pm EST yesterday. Later that night, when I looked more carefuly, I found them. They are barely noticeable, but now that I know they are there.

I can't feel them at all, so I am leaning more towards the post about the cracks being under the clear coating...

^^to the post above - good idea about the actual coating being flawed... I didn't see our post until after I posted this!

iFatty

Jul 22, 2008
Are you people for real?

The cases are fine.

Thats a drop or a strike.

We have hundreds of them at work of all colors, some even bounced off floors and nothing is wrong with them.

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
I just got a replacement one on Saturday from the Apple store cause mine broke, I can now see a similar crack near my headphone jack ... know it wasn't there when I got the phone. Might have to take this one back too :\

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
Are you people for real?

The cases are fine.

Thats a drop or a strike.

We have hundreds of them at work of all colors, some even bounced off floors and nothing is wrong with them.
There had to been a reason why Apple went with a Aluminum Back on V1.

I have been in the Automotive Buisness for 15 years and have seen a lot of stress cracks on plastic from stress (tail lights) and chemical stress crack (headlights, soap solution). After researching a cause (say 1,000 of 10,000 brake lights show signs of stress cracking) sometimes the cause can be something as simple as the manufacturer didn't have the correct heat setting when the plastic was molded.

I know mine are stress cracks, but not concerned until Apple investigates the cause and corrects it. No reason to jump out and get a new phone that may have the same concern.

Here is a little info that may educate you some.....

Chemical stress cracks are typical brittle cracks which occur at or below the tensile strength of the plastic or material. Specifically, the name "chemical stress cracking" is given to the phenomenon where chemical agents adhere to, or come into contact with, areas where tensile stress is present (i.e., where the part is being loaded), and where cracking occurs over time as a result of the combined effect of the chemical agent and the stress. The surfaces of this type of crack are smooth, and in certain cases, they may take on a mirrored appearance.

In terms of growth mechanism, it is said that gaps open between molecules when the part is loaded or in some other condition of stress, that the chemical agent penetrates into these gaps, and that the cohesive power (or strong binding) between the molecules is reduced. The exact mechanism has not yet, however, been completely understood.

Relatively large stresses exist around assembly screws, and particularly in the case of countersunk-head screws, these stresses can be excessive. Accordingly, they may constitute the stress factor leading to chemical stress cracking, and if chemical agents are also present in these areas, cracking will occur.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Here's a tip. don't follow the hype.

There is no shortage of White iPhones comming from Apple. However the white ones are hard to get b/c so many people want them despite what your opinion about getting white is.
Ive had my 16gig White for 2 weeks now, and i have no cracks. After reading/seeing the images i used a magnifying glass to see for any cracks, chips and there is nothing...I REPEAT NOTHING. I haven't dropped the phone, the white hasn't turned yellow or cream. Its pure white, no damages.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the pictures you saw is what will happen to a 3g in a case that gets dropped OR IF YOU SIT ON THE PHONE while in your pants pocket.

Watch as the 3g iPhone gets blended, at the end of the clip the blender couldnt blend and destroy the back of the phone.

The back of the phone is made of a mixture of materials, its not 100% plastic i think some of it is ceramic. The same for the black as well. Im not saying the possibility of cracks are impossible, but to see them on black phones, take a pinch of baking soda and rub on the phone to highlight any cracks.

AdrianCubed

Zealot
Gold
Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
I need to find a good case for the white one I plan on buying cause, I don't think an InvisiShield is gonna be enough:eek:
-especially for a drop
Spek(*) White pixel skin case is what i have. Its got padding around the corners and edge of the phone. Im confidant it'll survive a drop if i ever do manage to drop it lol.:laugh2: