iPhone 3GS Review

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I just read both iPhone 3GS reviews at Gizmodo and Engadget. I thought Gizmodo's review was MUCH better than engadget's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Skimball

Bronze
Sep 7, 2008
KC
My 3G has never been jailbroken and I have a battery % to left left of my battery with 3.0 installed.

Skimball

Bronze
Sep 7, 2008
KC
And you didn't buy that from someone who had it jailbroken? I don't know of anyone running 3.0 stock who has seen that feature ...

I received this one from the Apple store in exchange for mine which had a broken mute switch so it is a factory refurbished unit. I have always been able to tap the battery and have it show the battery or the battery % remaining. Is that consistent with a new 3G model? The battery tap does nothing now but the battery % is to the left of the battery icon. I am not jailbroken and have no hacks installed.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Three pages on a % sign? LOL I love you guys/gals!

Needless to say, I'm very happy to get the % sign and a much better battery than my v1.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
First line of the Gizmodo review makes me giddy:

What's the point in buying a new iPhone if it looks exactly like the old one? Because once you start using it, the speed of the iPhone 3GS will amaze you.

rabidiphone

Aug 1, 2007
I was kind of weary on getting the 3GS, but was going to get it anyway. Now that i've seen the reviews, i'm sold on it. I thought the video portion of the 3GS was going to be crappy quality. After seeing the lil demo that engadget had, I was amazed by the quality for a cell phone. the Voice Control is pretty cool if your driving and trying to find songs. Now i'm even more excited to get it this friday!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I received this one from the Apple store in exchange for mine which had a broken mute switch so it is a factory refurbished unit. I have always been able to tap the battery and have it show the battery or the battery % remaining. Is that consistent with a new 3G model? The battery tap does nothing now but the battery % is to the left of the battery icon. I am not jailbroken and have no hacks installed.
If you've always been able to tap the battery and have it show a %age, then that phone has been jailbroken at some point. That has never been something that shows up on a stock iPhone 3G.

Skimball

Bronze
Sep 7, 2008
KC
If you've always been able to tap the battery and have it show a %age, then that phone has been jailbroken at some point. That has never been something that shows up on a stock iPhone 3G.
Ahhhh...I wondered because the first phone did not do that. Thanks for the hacked phone Apple! And now back to our review thread.

nyc_rock

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I believe Engadget said that the battery life was not that much improved but Gizmodo, Cnet and Walt seemed to disagree. Im hoping Engadget was wrong.

john_T

Silver
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Engadget ripped on the 3G S as much as they can. Definite fanboy war going on there.

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I believe Engadget said that the battery life was not that much improved but Gizmodo, Cnet and Walt seemed to disagree. Im hoping Engadget was wrong.
I didn't really like Engadgets review, they pretty much talked down on every feature. I liked Gizmodos review the most and if 3 reviews are saying better battery life and 1 says not better then I would say it has better battery life.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I didn't really like Engadgets review, they pretty much talked down on every feature. I liked Gizmodos review the most and if 3 reviews are saying better battery life and 1 says not better then I would say it has better battery life.
I agree. I liked Gizmodos review much better. It gave nice side by side comparisons. Even if the battery life sucks on 3GS it is of little concern to me. I have a 5400 mAh battery backup ordered. :laugh2:

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
I agree. I liked Gizmodos review much better. It gave nice side by side comparisons. Even if the battery life sucks on 3GS it is of little concern to me. I have a 5400 mAh battery backup ordered. :laugh2:
Yes that's exactly what it was, the side by side comparison. And just the better mood on the new device. Even on my 3G I get really good battery life and I am not a light user. So with the 3GS having a better processor and more RAM I would be fine if it had the same or even slightly less battery life. People who complain about the battery need to realize we are basically carrying around an iMac nano with full browsing capabilities, excellent email, apps, etc so for it to last as long as it does is absolutely amazing. Gizmodo even said that the only thing that might make it last longer is because you are getting things done faster.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i didn't pick up that vibe at all. they presented the positives as well as some criticisms, but it seemed to be a favorable review overall.